diy solar

diy solar

psa: Chargeverter is LOUD

Warning! If you are looking at the HLG-240H-48A that model only adjusts up to 51.2V

Thank you for warning me (I am a TOTAL noob)... I did catch that you were using the "-54A" so I paid (hopefully) close attention to the specs. I'm going to get the HLG-240H-54A unless you warn me away from it :D

HLG-240H-54A
That will be good. 50-57v adj range will cover any possible needs for a 48v battery.

The adjustment process looks like this, you take one of the little black plugs out and put like an eyeglass repair size screwdriver in to reach a tiny plastic screw, and then you dial it while watching the output on a multimeter, and each tiny adjustment overshoots but after enough fiddling you get it to land on the right voltage.

Once you've got it set to say 53.2 or 54 or whatever you choose, it will charge a lower battery up to that voltage, or hold the battery at that voltage, or wait at 0 amps if the battery is higher than it's setting.

That charger is rated by the datasheet to withstand a DC overvolt of 60-67v but there should be no way the battery bank would ever be over 60.

Thank you for warning me (I am a TOTAL noob)... I did catch that you were using the "-54A" so I paid (hopefully) close attention to the specs. I'm going to get the HLG-240H-54A unless you warn me away from it :D
Oh and another fair warning. I am a slight outlier for using these LED drivers for chargers like this. I can only tell you in my experience that they are good for it. You will run into other people who will consider this inadvisable, or not a charger, or just plain weird. But I like them.

I have a Chargeverter v1, and I like it (Aside from poor documentation).

One thing that none of the various reviews/videos I saw of it mention though, the fans are LOUD. I'm using the chargeverter to trickle charge my trailer from mains and for camping with grid power I either need to add some custom soundproofing, or I need to come up with another solution (like connect something silent via the solar input)
Yeah all reviews I've ever seen are they are very loud, definitely not ideal for 24*7 double conversion use.

I use this fanless Meanwell since mine is used for daily function, all my grid import comes in through it.

HEP-2300-55

Only 2kW though, so I'm probably going to need to add a second one.

View attachment 210816
Definitely a premium to be paid for silent passively cooled performance. Does it come with any cables?

Oh and another fair warning. I am a slight outlier for using these LED drivers for chargers like this. I can only tell you in my experience that they are good for it. You will run into other people who will consider this inadvisable, or not a charger, or just plain weird. But I like them.
That they actually publish a MTBF (23 yrs!) in the specs already puts it worlds ahead of the stuff I've been looking at. Seems like a solid product that does what it's supposed to do, and is exactly what I need to keep my system plugged in. :D

Last edited:
Do the pots stay put, or will they drift around over time and with temperature?
Yeah that's a good question I just checked my 185 that's been on a shelf for months and it was at 55.13 after I probably had it set to 55v before. They may not be digitally precise but I think they stay pretty close. I also have a more accurate multimeter now that the one I originally dialed that power supply with so it was probably not exactly 55v to start.

I see the grey/black chargeverter is listed as pre-order on Signature Solar's website, but there are other sites that have the (older?) yellow box model in stock and ready to ship.

Is there some new features or build of it with the new grey color pre order model?

I only have my eye on one down the line as a backup of a backup type of situation. Where I'd be able to charge my off grid batteries from a L5-30P (120V propane generator)

Is there some new features or build of it with the new grey color pre order model?
Communications ports for closed-loop battery comms, so you can program in SOC-based start/stop settings. Also Generator Control (hence the GC in the name), and a much slower ramp-up, to prevent sudden load from shutting your generator down.

Edit: Oh, and connectors for AC input and DC output.

Last edited:
I see the grey/black chargeverter is listed as pre-order on Signature Solar's website, but there are other sites that have the (older?) yellow box model in stock and ready to ship.

I only have my eye on one down the line as a backup of a backup type of situation. Where I'd be able to charge my off grid batteries from a L5-30P (120V propane generator)
Current Connected has both in stock (13 left of the older yellows).

Yup, better hurry. If you don't want to pay $80 more for features that you either don't want or can't use.

Back