diy solar

diy solar

Tesla 250 AMP cell versus the Alibaba Prismatic 12v 100 amp pack

Johndobbs

I'm curious to see how people reply to this one.
I'm comparing the tesla 250 amp 24 volt cell to 2.5 of the alibaba prismatic 12 volt 100 amp packs.
I believe that would be about the same price.
The tesla cells on Ebay are about $1100 to $1400. And the Alibaba packs are about $400 each plus 2.5 is $1200.
Also not including the bms.
The only drawback for me about the Tesla pack is that I'm running 12 volts and I think the tesla pack is 24 so would have to use a voltage regulator to drop the voltage because most of what I run is 12 volt capable.

I have no experience with the Tesla pack but a couple of additional considerations:

- Tesla packs are used - correct? Seems like that would introduce an unknown factor whether the stated mileage is accurate, how much life they really have left, etc.
- Form factor - the dimensions may dictate where you can use each option. For example, the Tesla pack won't fit into my RV storage space but I can build the prismatic cells to fit where I need them. But if you have a short wide area or an actual wall where you want to mount them then Tesla has the advantage.

The disadvantage with Tesla packs is the voltage, and available inverters.

25.2v is pretty far down compared to the voltage range of lead acid that most inverters are programmed for.

The flammability, and the used factor don’t help either.

Will was one of the early fans of using Tesla modules. See this video:
(DIY Tesla Solar Battery: Beginner Tutorial)

However, he started re-considering them and does not seem to be as big of a fan as he was:
(Reconsidering my Used Tesla Solar Battery. Looking for an alternative.)

I was originally thinking about building a system using a tesla module, but decided the issues (particularly safety) were not worth the risk.

thank you for the information everybody.
But after watching that that one of the videos posted here I decided to stick with the Prismatic cells.
Thanks again
John

Back