diy solar

diy solar

Testing EG4 6000XP AIO inverter.

Just received my luxpower 6000xp a few days ago and plan on being off grid with 7kw of 48 volt panels and Lithium batteries. Bought an eg4 48 volt 100 amp charge verter that I want to hook up to a WH10000eco inverter generator...using the robust eg4 charge verter in place of the 6000xp's charger system. But I have no idea as to how to get the 6000xp to command a start and stop on the generator to supply the needed charge to the batteries when needed due to lack of PV input and lower battery voltage. Any suggestions? I am not clueless as to electrical circuitry but want to make sure that I get it right the first time and if someone knows how... it would save me the time, effort and angst of trying to figure it out by wafting thru pages of info and deciphering of calculated numbers? I realize that 7k of panels probably ins't enough for my area (NC) but I plan on a very economical energy footprint and am good with running genny perhaps an average of 3 hrs per day for the first year or so. Genny would be an integral part of the system and up the battery storage within a couple of year when technology on battery storage lowers the cost and improves the performance. Is the 6000xp capable of stand alone generator start and stop given voltage reading from battery bank?
Not sure how I missed this comment.

I'd use a 2 pole contactor (basically a heavy duty relay) with either a 24v or 120v coil. Run one side of the coil power through the dry contact. * coil power not the contactor power.
Screenshot_20240101_172921_Acrobat for Samsung.jpg

Please provide a link to the latches.
Thanks
I Just grabbed a two pack from a local store.

Recommend you coordinate with SS/EG4 prior to drilling holes. Metal shaving can ruin a circuit board.

Tools used...Magnet, cloth, gravity, slow speed and a vacuum.

This is a combination of test results and personal opinion while testing the EG4 6000xp AIO

Possible Use Cases – Workshop, 50 or 30 Amp RV, Cabin, Garage, Small Home or Larger if used in parallel.

- Control over bonding N/G through settings
- wall mountable by one (mounting plate would still be nice touch)
- Sufficient wire box size
- External Breakers
- Quick connects for RSD
- External on/off switch (easy to relocate EPS Switch)
- low idle when EPS off no MPPT
- Green and Power save mode (need to learn more)
- Generator connection
- 6 AWG THHN/W Fit in the N/G common bus bar and breakers
- No issues with lights strobing
- Uses same APP as the 18Kpv

Dislikes
- Battery Bolts are tiny. M8?
- Lithium battery type default to #1? (eg4 needs type 0) I cycled all the way up to 16 before I realized "0" type was an option
- I don’t understand how to use the Sleep Mode correctly. Obviously, I know how to enable the setting in the menu. Watched Wills Video and it makes sense now. morning PV wakes the inverter from sleep mode.
- The Green LED is like a laser!
- LCD Menu layout (Just use the app or web site)

Other details
- 93% conversion Battery to AC at 950 watt load. (As reported by inverter LCD)
- Changing Settings through the LCD was initially a pain...but after 2 minutes it was easy. (Most of the settings can be changed in the app)
- Battery communication works fast* (hub) and natively reads LP4 3.32 firmware dips switch 0000 (takes 20-30 seconds)
- Fans come on and ramp up as need with any load
- 3K imbalance test
- 20 second reconnect after connecting battery comms directly to LP4
- Inverter automatically Resets from overload after 4 minutes? Need to actually time this.
- RSD functions as expected - shuts down AC and PV. (Obviously you would still need additional components to shutdown voltage at the array)
- 12v power confirmed. 11.99v, correct polarity
- Powered House for 3 days (Fall Cooler weather) Base load is 500-1200 watts.
-- Can power base load plus two 1500 watt cooking appliances (Opposite legs).
-- Can power 2 ton Air Conditioner and Base load.
-- Can run Base load and electric dryer. *Note dryer has a low power setting that caps dryer to 2,400 watts*.
- EG4 LP4 Battery to Inverter uses basic Cat5 Ethernet Cable, set inverter to lithium 0 (expect a 30-60 second Delay)
- Tested PV terminals for AC bleed - None Found
- Single Leg Surge – Tested up to 4,000 Watts at 1 second (2004 RV 15Kbtu AC startup plus 1,500 base load)
- Battery Charging from AC – Tested up to 110 amps
- PV input – tested Two Stings 400v 8 Amps per MPPT (capped out at 7000 Watt max due to lower sun angle)
- Can make some adjustments to minimum cooling Fan speed and ramp up settings. But fans come on with any load or PV.

Generator test,
- Setting 6 Generator charge limit, Setting 18 Generator limit - works as expected.
- Generator NO1 and NC1 work as expected...used with setting 25
* Note Generator will still need to power entire load. When load is less than max Generator watts (Setting 18)...inverter will allow battery charging.
* For the record. The inverter will not charge from a single 120v gen connection.

The best for last…No LED flicker. No DISCO lights. You will obviously have the normal light diming when starting a large load.

Edits in BOLD

Great detailed analysis... bravo my solar brother

Thank you. Do you have any testing ideas or questions?
@Zapper77 another member tested this and it worked, would like two validations if possible, with No PV attached/active or turned off completely. XP Grid connected on AC-IN and grid fails, Batteries power load and then LBCO hits and batteries shut down (extended grid outage), when grid is present again, XP powers back on and can then start charging batteries from grid (without any intervention).

@Zapper77 another member tested this and it worked, would like two validations if possible, with No PV attached/active or turned off completely. XP Grid connected on AC-IN and grid fails, Batteries power load and then LBCO hits and batteries shut down (extended grid outage), when grid is present again, XP powers back on and can then start charging batteries from grid (without any intervention).
Should be easy to confirm/test. Later this evening.

Should be easy to confirm/test. Later this evening.
Thank you, appreciate you testing for all of us. If I get the XP it will run unattended for weeks at a time mainly as grid backup powering critical loads (fridge/freezers/cameras/internet at our cabin) and there are often long power failures with snow load. Will have enough battery for ~2 days but power has been out longer than that so need the self recovery from grid since we're not always there. Was thinking about another Victron system which I know self recovers, charges and powers loads when grid becomes available but XP is a clean instal and I want to give it a try. Will add PV later when weather is better.

Thank you, appreciate you testing for all of us. If I get the XP it will run unattended for weeks at a time mainly as grid backup powering critical loads (fridge/freezers/cameras/internet at our cabin) and there are often long power failures with snow load. Will have enough battery for ~2 days but power has been out longer than that so need the self recovery from grid since we're not always there. Was thinking about another Victron system which I know self recovers, charges and powers loads when grid becomes available but XP is a clean instal and I want to give it a try. Will add PV later when weather is better.
I won't be able to test the low battery BMS shutdown...until my new batteries arrive
It may be a few weeks for that specific test.

I'll be able to test the inverter shutdown due to battery low SOC with grid off. 2nd part of test is will turning on grid restart the inverter and charge batteries to the preset limit. Correct?

Edit below to expand on the battery shutdown/restart.

Say inverter turns off due to low SOC at say 3%. The inverter will still have a very low 0.02 amp draw (estimating, I don't remember exact amount). Next the inverter draw when powered down ends up trigger the low voltage shutdown in the BMS.

I won't be able to test the low battery BMS shutdown...until my new batteries arrive
It may be a few weeks for that specific test.

I'll be able to test the inverter shutdown due to battery low SOC with grid off. 2nd part of test is will turning on grid restart the inverter and charge batteries to the preset limit. Correct?

Edit below to expand on the battery shutdown/restart.

Say inverter turns off due to low SOC at say 3%. The inverter will still have a very low 0.02 amp draw (estimating, I don't remember exact amount). Next the inverter draw when powered down ends up trigger the low voltage shutdown in the BMS.
Yeah I guess that's it. Doesn't even need to charge back to preset limit just knowing it can come back on itself from grid on, power loads while charging.

Any reason why it wouldn't come back with the switches in the On position?

Any reason why it wouldn't come back with the switches in the On position?
Another member in a separate thread confirmed it came back on with grid only...I know @Zapper77 was looking for a test scenario so we can have double confirmation. If this does indeed work, this means Grid down with no PV available, LBCO hits and everything powers down, later - grid-up and XP starts feeding loads and charging independently. I won't need to take off work and scamble to my cabin to do manual steps.

Another member in a separate thread confirmed it came back on with grid only...I know @Zapper77 was looking for a test scenario so we can have double confirmation. If this does indeed work, this means Grid down with no PV available, LBCO hits and everything powers down, later - grid-up and XP starts feeding loads and charging independently. I won't need to take off work and scamble to my cabin to do manual steps.
Initial testing...yes grid bypass will kick in after a simulated grid down when a offgrid LOW SOC has triggered a shutdown.

Initial testing...yes grid bypass will kick in after a simulated grid down when a offgrid LOW SOC has triggered a shutdown.
Awesome so XP was basically down from low
SOC and no grid, turned on grid and loads turned on and batts started charging? This is exciting. Second confirmation. Just like Victron where no interaction is needed once grid is available again.

SOC and no grid, turned on grid and loads turned on and batts started charging? This is exciting. Second confirmation. Just like Victron where no interaction is needed once grid is available again.
My AC Charge from Grid, SOC was set lower than my disconnect.

I will need to do another test. This was just a quick 15 minute test.

Scenario
Parameters - Grid down and "off grid" shutdown set at SOC 5%. AC charge start at 15% and stop at 35%

Results - Inverter running on battery until SOC hits 4%...Inverter shuts down. Grid comes back on...Inverter enters AC Chatge and Grid bypass. Charges batteries upto the 35% SOC.

Unexpected results - while simulating a 2nd grid failure whule battery SOC is under 15%. Resulted in the Inverter shutdown, even though the offgrid disconnect was set at 5% and the battery SOC was above the 5%.

Is anyone able to confirm my findings?

Scenario
Parameters - Grid down and "off grid" shutdown set at SOC 5%. AC charge start at 15% and stop at 35%

Results - Inverter running on battery until SOC hits 4%...Inverter shuts down. Grid comes back on...Inverter enters AC Chatge and Grid bypass. Charges batteries upto the 35% SOC.

Unexpected results - while simulating a 2nd grid failure whule battery SOC is under 15%. Resulted in the Inverter shutdown, even though the offgrid disconnect was set at 5% and the battery SOC was above the 5%.

Is anyone able to confirm my findings?
Thanks for the continued testing. Odd that it behaves differently if SOC under your start charge. Assume on the 2nd test when grid was available it acted like the previous test and powered loads and charged?

Thanks for the continued testing. Odd that it behaves differently if SOC under your start charge. Assume on the 2nd test when grid was available it acted like the previous test and powered loads and charged?
Yes.

I wonder if a battery alarm was the issue.

Thanks for doing all this testing for us @Zapper77 ! Seems the 6000xp is a pretty comprehensive unit. I also have one test if you don't mind. In the discharge settings, if you set Discharge Current Limit to say 50 amps and when running off battery and the loads are high >3000w and require more than the limit, will the inverter just shut down or automatically switch to grid bypass? This would be with the grid up and connected. Curious if I could hook this to a battery I currently have and get the PowerPro later this year.

Back