diy solar

diy solar

Testing solar panel current without frying multimeter

320 watt panels wired 2s going into a Victron MPPT 100/50. I have two of that, one for the roof and one for ground deployment. 1280 watts total. I typically use the ground deployed panels only in the winter since the roof panels are mounted flat.

Once the Multiplus is installed, I'll likely use the ground deployed panels more often as I'll be using the batteries/inverter for a lot more 120 volt AC devices.

OK, so if you lay ground panels flat like roof mount, then you can compare readings on two SCC.
That might flag any issues in panels or wiring.

What I found first was one paralleled string delivering zero. A wire nut had slipped off. I'm upgrading to Ideal setscrew nuts as I go.
And then I also found the bad Sharps.
Most of my panels go through touch-safe fuse holders, so by shutting off GT inverter I can open some, then turn on and wait 5 minutes for a measurement. But the sharps are paralleled at the array, through a larger gauge wire, so unplug MC connector. Or use clamp ammeter for non-invasive test.

If there was a non-contact voltage measurement at MC connectors, could diagnose to panel level. For car wiring, insulation piercing is done. With a pile of MC "Y" cables, could add test points. I knocked down the series connections and tested individually, finding bad ones. But lost track of my interleaved panel order, so couldn't tell for sure if the bad panels were possibly biased the most negative (or positive) during their year of living transformerless. "PID" might be an issue for them negative biased, vs. always positive biased for their first 17 years of life. Second string in parallel unaffected or not severely. Dirt and moisture figures into environment that causes "PID" as well as other mechanisms.

Thanks for all the replies.
The panels short circuit current was to spec when tested outdoors. Indoors I got 25 watts typical out of 2 100 watt panels connected in series via Renogy MPPT controller. The history on the controller showed a max power of 42 watts but that was an outlier. 2 amps was typical. Double hung windows with grids or mullions were a factor. Kind of surprised that there would be so much energy blocked by the windows. Definitely need to be placed outdoors.
Screenshot 2022-01-29 215242.png

Back