diy solar

diy solar

The SOC conundrum.

Oi, vendors who do not provide proper info...
All Batteries sold are set at Storage Temps once their factory testing is done.
They are typically sent with 3.200-3.300 Volts as that is the best static storage temperature.

When battery Cells are received their electrolytes must be fully activated. This is done by Top Charging & Balancing to 3.650 Volts. This is the ONE TIME that cells must be taken to Max Allowable Voltage in order to gain full capacity. This ALSO Assumes that they will be pressed into service shortly after being Activated.

Take your battery cells, place them all in PARALLEL so that all (+) & (-) are on a Bus and charge the cells to 3.650V with the endamps calculated as such: 100AH X 0.05 = 5A (EndAmps) or 280AH X 0.05=14A EndAmps. Of course you can go lower, many do and take the cells down to where Amps Taken is only 2 or 3 Amps. (There really isn't much if any difference)

FYI: I've done extensive Active Balancing cycle testing and after a year of testing, I set all of my packs to start Active Balancing @ 3.200 Volts which does NOT cost energy as it is shifted when needed from High Cells to Low Cells when the threshold trigger of 0.010mv differential is detected. What I have found that Balancing early reduces the larger differential that is seen when crossing 3.400Vpc and does keep a "lid on" the runner cells which tend to take off after 3.450. These tests have been done with the JKBMS BMS with 2A Active Balancing.
Cells used are those from my own Packs and they are an interesting collection, described below.
8 EVE 105AH Cells - New Grade-A Matched & Batched from Luyuan Tech. Known Good Vendor
8 EVE 280AH (N) Cells - New Bulk, Voltage & IR Matched only, XUBA Tech *NOT A Recommended Vendor
8 EVE 280AH (N) Cells - New Grade-B, Voltage & IR Matched, from Luyuan Tech. Known Good Vendor
8 EVE 280AH (K) Cells - New Grade-A Matched & Batched from Luyuan Tech. Known Good Vendor
16 Aoyoupower 174AH Cells - Used EV Thin Cells, semi-matched, from the ShunBin Disaster (now 2x 8-cell 24V packs)

Last edited:
Oi, vendors who do not provide proper info...
All Batteries sold are set at Storage Temps once their factory testing is done.
They are typically sent with 3.200-3.300 Volts as that is the best static storage temperature.

When battery Cells are received their electrolytes must be fully activated. This is done by Top Charging & Balancing to 3.650 Volts. This is the ONE TIME that cells must be taken to Max Allowable Voltage in order to gain full capacity. This ALSO Assumes that they will be pressed into service shortly after being Activated.

Take your battery cells, place them all in Series so that all (+) & (-) are on a Bus and charge the cells to 3.650V with the endamps calculated as such: 100AH X 0.05 = 5A (EndAmps) or 280AH X 0.05=14A EndAmps. Of course you can go lower, many do and take the cells down to where Amps Taken is only 2 or 3 Amps. (There really isn't much if any difference)
Temperature=voltage
Series=parallel

That's kind of the point.
Yes.
At lower voltages a wildly unbalanced system COULD be within 002 volts differential at rest.
Here's a finer point. It's irrelevant until I can actually get the cells to charge up to 3.4-3.45V each. What 3.65V charger would you recommend I buy to reach that first goal in establishing a balanced system? The Growatt 6000 sure hasn't been able to get them anywhere near that. After resting all night, they were back down 3.300 average with a differential of .004V.

Here's a finer point. It's irrelevant until I can actually get the cells to charge up to 3.4-3.45V each. What 3.65V charger would you recommend I buy to reach that first goal in establishing a balanced system? The Growatt 6000 sure hasn't been able to get them anywhere near that. After resting all night, they were back down 3.300 average with a differential of .004V.
What solar charge controller do you have? what is on the input of that groWatt? have you read the manual for the settings in the growatt?
What is your charge voltage set to? What is the absorption time set to? All this time I assumed these were set up correctly and just realized that that might not be true.

Back