diy solar

diy solar

Thin Wires on Common Van Lights/Fans

mikelanger89

I'm installing DC fans/lights that all come stock with different wire sizes, some very thin. Is there any danger in using, a 12ga wire to connect a light or fan that comes stock with 14/18/22 ga wires? (Via soldier or butt connector)

This is pretty common to have to do, particularly given that manufacturers often undersize their factory wiring to save money. I'd say the big thing to watch out for is just to make sure that your chosen connection method leaves you with a good solid connection. Butt connectors can be tricky because the ones that'll fit 12ga can be difficult to get to crimp tight enough to grab a 22ga (sometimes I'll strip off 2x the insulation of the 22ga, then double it up and twist it together to give more "meat" for the crimp to grab onto).
Be careful about soldering, there's a reason 99% of automotive connections are crimped rather than soldered... you run the risk -particularly on those tiny strands in the 22ga- of making those little strands brittle as you heat them up for solder to flow, which will lead to an increased risk of failure in time.
Either way: no danger in using heavier-gauge wire, just be warned it might be a pit of a PITA making that transition.

This is pretty common to have to do, particularly given that manufacturers often undersize their factory wiring to save money. I'd say the big thing to watch out for is just to make sure that your chosen connection method leaves you with a good solid connection. Butt connectors can be tricky because the ones that'll fit 12ga can be difficult to get to crimp tight enough to grab a 22ga (sometimes I'll strip off 2x the insulation of the 22ga, then double it up and twist it together to give more "meat" for the crimp to grab onto).
Be careful about soldering, there's a reason 99% of automotive connections are crimped rather than soldered... you run the risk -particularly on those tiny strands in the 22ga- of making those little strands brittle as you heat them up for solder to flow, which will lead to an increased risk of failure in time.
Either way: no danger in using heavier-gauge wire, just be warned it might be a pit of a PITA making that transition.

SUPER helpful thank you so much! I'll do just that. Also, last question, but do you have a preferred way of joining three wires together? I have to run simple 12v lights in parallel, all 14/18ga wire. Do I need to use a reducing butt connector or is there a better option out there?

wago 221 series
SUPER helpful thank you so much! I'll do just that. Also, last question, but do you have a preferred way of joining three wires together? I have to run simple 12v lights in parallel, all 14/18ga wire. Do I need to use a reducing butt connector or is there a better option out there?

wago 221 4x series to connect
zip ties for strain relief
wire loom to protect the wires
For bonus points crimp ferrules on wires before you connect them.

wago 221 series

wago 221 4x series to connect
zip ties for strain relief
wire loom to protect the wires
For bonus points crimp ferrules on wires before you connect them.

Please elaborate . I don't understand these terms. Perhaps links to examples? Thanks for sharing what you know.

Please elaborate . I don't understand these terms. Perhaps links to examples? Thanks for sharing what you know.

Thank you so much. Very helpful.

Back