diy solar

diy solar

This is my baby!

I am running into issue with having solar. The control board in my AC/Furnace is bad. I think is was bad when the home was delivered. The tech told me today that my solar voided my warranty "because of unstable voltages and the control board is sensitive" what a load of crap. I unloaded on my salesman and they are covering the cost. I'll do the swap.

I once bought a replacement 1012-930 control board for my furnace on eBay. Prices range from $25 to $150

That was maybe a decade ago. I've had a couple faults past couple years. Fan had been kicking on needlessly (thinks there is an over-temperature sensor or open wire), just recently was igniting gas and shutting off after seconds. Tried replacing flame sensor but that didn't fix it.

Both of those I fixed by removing board (photograph, also mark wires or bundle with tape so you get a couple dozen flying spade terminal wires back in the right place.) Put in a sandwich bag with IPA (rubbing alcohol, not the stuff you drink.) Shake and invert to clean. Remove and dry with hot air gun to ensure no shorting by water. Reinstalled, and it works. (I've been running electric duct heater, want gas option available for high time of use rates or battery operation.)

The Generac and HVAC people would never know you're off grid if you don't tell them. 99% of people who come on the property would never even think about it. The less they know, the better.

Ah, two more of the same AIO's. (y)

The Generac and HVAC people would never know you're off grid if you don't tell them. 99% of people who come on the property would never even think about it. The less they know, the better.
Yep. I learned that the hard way. I was given the same advice from the generator guy who also has an off grid camp house. His words " Most people never look up and never notice poles not being there." Solar is the new don't ask don't tell lol.

What size AC units are you running do they run hard in the summer? I always wanted to cut the cord on my utility we use so much power in the summer we are about 170KWH a day June through Aug. Compared to now were about 60 KWH.

I'm running a 10000 btu 120vac AC. Needs to be a little bigger. I want to put a 15000+ 240vac unit.

Last edited:
What size AC units are you running do they run hard in the summer? I always wanted to cut the cord on my utility we use so much power in the summer we are about 170KWH a day June through Aug. Compared to now were about 60 KWH.
I misunderstood you. I told you what I was running to cool my inverters. My house is cooled with a 4 ton unit.

I'm running a 10000 btu 120vac AC. Needs to be a little bigger. I want to put a 15000+ 240vac unit.
Understood I have the same challenge being in AZ having to deal with the heat generated by an inverter. It's counterproductive to cool a room where an inverter is blowing hot air in like a hair dryer. My shed setup going to direct the hot air outside the shed I do have a small window AC unit to cool the shed. Last year I didn't do that the inverter was warming the shed while AC was trying to cool it.

Understood I have the same challenge being in AZ having to deal with the heat generated by an inverter. It's counterproductive to cool a room where an inverter is blowing hot air in like a hair dryer. My shed setup going to direct the hot air outside the shed I do have a small window AC unit to cool the shed. Last year I didn't do that the inverter was warming the shed while AC was trying to cool it.
I've got a thermostat controlled fan that blows out if the inside temp gets over 90F. It's my safety net.

I ended up putting a small 5000 btu window unit in and it has worked great. When temps were around 95 or so the workshop with the inverters was 72 to 75. I have it setup to come on at 10am and run till 5 pm and then turn back on if the temps get over 80 at night but I haven't had it turn on that often. Summer wasn't that bad in Alabama this year. Who knows what next year will be like though.

I want to buy another chargeverter. Mine has been the game changer. I would sink 300 in it for a spare.

I bought 3. Installed 2 and have the third as a backup piece if something happens to one of the 2 production pieces.
Only thing that could have been better are a 12cm fan instead of the small 2 screamers built in.
That would also have helped a bit with lowering the temps somewhat.
Maybe I will mod mine after a while. Got a LOT of PC fans laying around...will see in the spring.

I don't use the Chargeverter often enough to care about the noise.
If it's running, I'm already annoyed. Because I am using grid. So a little fan noise doesn't matter.

Back