diy solar

diy solar

Thoughts on a new system

Targus100

Long story short
I have been totally off grid for around 6 years or so and was doing it tough for a long time to keep my head above water, finally I am in a position to build another shed that will really be a house and will be looking at a new dedicated solar system for the new abode.
Since I live in Southern NSW (Australia) the summers can get very hot, last year we had a constant run of 45 plus degree days for quite a few weeks and then it dropped into the high 30's for a month or so before it cooled down. Since I work from home now I need a steady supply of clean power to run computer etc. Currently I am running 2 x 200 watt 12 volt panels joined in parallel through a PWM Controller into two 6 volt 430 amp hour batteries joined to make 12 volts, which I then invert off to run lights and computer this was my first system and it has served me well.
I recently got hold of two 2 x 250 watt 24 volt panels again joined in parallel through a MPPT charge controller into two 6 volt 430 amp hour batteries as per above and thus doubling my power storage! Whoo I can finally run more lights!! I also run a small camp fridge but it has its own system as I use it to take away camping etc, now here is the question, what are peoples thoughts on this
12 x 270 watt 24 volt panels
3 x 3kwh GenZ (48 volt) lithium batteries in a battery cabinet (they come in 3kwh modules)
3kva Victron inverter (48 volt)
Applicable Victron MPPT charge controller

There is a company here in Australia that will sell the above kit plus all the applicable mounts etc for around $18,700 plus install which I can get done by a sparky that I know, the idea is that the system can be expanded with more panels and batteries if need be, depending on the day (I live in a valley) summertime I get around 10 hours direct sunlight and winter time it drops to around 6 however there is no shading issues, now here is the kicker......I want to be able to run an A/C during summer plus the rest of my lights computer t/v and fridge....................am I dreaming?

It looks like you can generate about three thousand watts per hour from you panels in direct sunlight so under no other loads you would be able to fill up your nine thousand watts of lithium battery storage in three hours, six hours if you were using fifteen hundred watts per hour, (assuming that the compressor is running constantly, energy consumption will be less if the compressor cycles on and off), to power an eighteen thousand BTU AC unit. ~ I recently upgraded from lead acid to lithium and from a PWM controller to a MPPT controller and I am very happy with the upgrades.

Last edited:
It looks like you can generate about three thousand watts per hour from you panels in direct sunlight so under no other loads you would be able to fill up your nine thousand watts of lithium battery storage in three hours, six hours if you were using fifteen hundred watts per hour, (assuming that the compressor is running constantly, energy consumption will be less if the compressor cycles on and off), to power an eighteen thousand BTU AC unit. ~ I recently upgraded from lead acid to lithium and from a PWM controller to a MPPT controller and I am very happy with the upgrades.
Hi thanks for the response, when the new shed gets built it will be set up from the very start for low energy consumption and will be insulated properly, I do intend to have breezeways through to lessen the heat plus will be running ceiling fans the A/C will only be for those really hot days when I am working and at night to get a proper sleep (yes I am getting old and cranky!!)

Most of the time the electric load will be light as I will only be running the computer, modem and probably a fridge/freezer of some sort and then lights at night, all of my cooking/heating is either wood burning stove or gas......going by your response I might look at upping the amount of panels straight up as with the batteries that I am looking at they are a straight up plug and play type set up if I find I do not have enough storage...going to be an interesting build!

Back