diy solar

diy solar

Thread title deleted…

JRH

Solar Wizard
My friend sent me a email of what he bought..6 large server rack batteries , wanted to discuss them with me as he’s buying stuff for a large system…I told him I have no idea what he got …..never heard the name …..or anything about them… they look contemporary and have a display screen and all the bells and whistles ( it appears) I have to think someone here knows somthing about them…??
On the front they say 48 v 100 amp, 5120 WH and came with wires ,they are new…. The name on them says “RUBIX LITHIUM BATTERY PACK…”…I can hardly find any mention online except for small odd purpose batterys …I keep seeing the term lithium polymer pop up … I have no idea…!!!

I do know they were expensive … 2k each…….what in the world did he buy…??

Last edited:
So you think three hours is enough time for a solid answer? Relax, someone will come along that has heard of them

At that price. I doubt that many members would give them a second glance.
Personal, I've never heard of them.

At that price. I doubt that many members would give them a second glance.
Personal, I've never heard of them.
That’s what I fear…he’s a nice guy ….with money ,but let’s say gullible at times .I was just was hoping I was wrong as there’s a lot of things out there I have not heard of ….Thanks for your thoughts.

I have not heard of Rubix. For comparison purposes you could check out what is a good example of what you're looking for in a server rack battery.
-USA support that is only a phone call away. I can normally get them on the phone within minutes.
-plenty of positive feedback
-ships on time and what you get is what you ordered.

My friend sent me a email of what he bought..6 large server rack batteries , wanted to discuss them with me as he’s buying stuff for a large system…I told him I have no idea what he got …..never heard the name …..or anything about them… they look contemporary and have a display screen and all the bells and whistles ( it appears) I have to think someone here knows somthing about them…??
On the front they say 48 v 100 amp, 5120 WH and came with wires ,they are new…. The name on them says “RUBIX LITHIUM BATTERY PACK…”…I can hardly find any mention online except for small odd purpose batterys …I keep seeing the term lithium polymer pop up … I have no idea…!!!

I've seen them on one of Engineer775's videos, but can't remember which one and can't be arsed to look. Doesn't mean you buddy is not getting scammed though.

I have not heard of Rubix. For comparison purposes you could check out what is a good example of what you're looking for in a server rack battery.
-USA support that is only a phone call away. I can normally get them on the phone within minutes.
-plenty of positive feedback
-ships on time and what you get is what you ordered.

Haa.. thanks …I think your first sentence tells the story. Im very familiar with “most“ brands out there just from this site and the Internet in general… im sure there are rebranded products world wide that I’m unaware of but I can’t find any meaningful info at all On this battery..
I too am a big believer in dealing with US based distribution companies with a real phone number and a street address you can drive to if you had legal issue ….Thank you for your reply…

Last edited:
Here's an Engineer775 video with those batteries. Not much info given on them though.

I've seen them on one of Engineer775's videos, but can't remember which one and can't be arsed to look. Doesn't mean you buddy is not getting scammed though.
Well whatever he is getting ,he has already got.. they are stacked up in his house …I wish he had called me before he found the super deal he jumped on….your input is appreciated … thank you.

Here's an Engineer775 video with those batteries. Not much info given on them though.

Well , I’ll be darned thats the same batts … I will forward this to him…they seem to work ,it appears…at least that’s somthing…The company seems to have one very very
low key ad/ marketing strategy…….?? .. go figure… thank you for the info…

Anything can not find on web, where to get it

I know this is an old post, but I just stumbled on it and figured I would chime in here. Rubix battery is based out of Walnut creek, Ohio. The company came out of a joint between the owners of Millertech and Ark Battery. The Ark batteries are now coming through Rubix, and I believe they are working on a website. Ark Battery has a website here and the phone number on there would now ring in to Rubix. The Ark and Rubix batteries are designed in the USA (manufactured in China, of course) and service is also in the USA.

The specific batteries that your friend got sound like the first gen Rubix. I believe they have a 10 year warranty. (2 yr full replacement, 10 year pro-rated). In some of the earlier units there was a SOH issue that sometimes came up, but I believe they are working on a firmware update that will fix that. The issue was that sometimes the batteries would think the usable capacity was lower than it actually was. Therefore they would show as if they were dead (SOC% reading) long before they actually were. I believe the firmware update will be available as a dongle that will simply need to be plugged into the battery and a button held for 5 seconds, and the update is done. I haven't heard when they will have that dongle/update available.

The Ark batteries have a 10year warranty as well, but those are 5 year full replacement, 10 year pro-rated. The Ark 100AH units are UL listed.

They now also have 2 new lines of batteries, one is the GigaStack Series (these are blue), which use the same cells as the Ark batteries, but in a new "stacking" form factor. They have a 12 year warranty. (6 year full replacement, 12 year pro-rated) And those cells have been in use and proven in the ARK series for probably 5-6 years now!

The second new line is the Stack Series (these are grey), they are in a similar "stacking" form factor, are a little cheaper than the GigaStack ones and have a lighter BMS (100A vs the 150A in the GigaStack).

All of the non-Ark branded ones have closed loop comms. Although the 2 newest ones are a bit better on the comms than the original black server rack ones. All of these have JK balancers in them as well!

Full Disclosure: I do not work for Rubix battery! I do have close ties to the owner(s), and I see a lot of the R&D happening with their products. BMSs and balancers for these batteries are always in stock at Rubix, and field replaceable, if something happens to fry them! (lightning, etc.)

Hit me with any other questions you may have on these. If I don't know the answer I'll find out for you!

I know this is an old post, but I just stumbled on it and figured I would chime in here. Rubix battery is based out of Walnut creek, Ohio. The company came out of a joint between the owners of Millertech and Ark Battery. The Ark batteries are now coming through Rubix, and I believe they are working on a website. Ark Battery has a website here and the phone number on there would now ring in to Rubix. The Ark and Rubix batteries are designed in the USA (manufactured in China, of course) and service is also in the USA.

The specific batteries that your friend got sound like the first gen Rubix. I believe they have a 10 year warranty. (2 yr full replacement, 10 year pro-rated). In some of the earlier units there was a SOH issue that sometimes came up, but I believe they are working on a firmware update that will fix that. The issue was that sometimes the batteries would think the usable capacity was lower than it actually was. Therefore they would show as if they were dead (SOC% reading) long before they actually were. I believe the firmware update will be available as a dongle that will simply need to be plugged into the battery and a button held for 5 seconds, and the update is done. I haven't heard when they will have that dongle/update available.

The Ark batteries have a 10year warranty as well, but those are 5 year full replacement, 10 year pro-rated. The Ark 100AH units are UL listed.

They now also have 2 new lines of batteries, one is the GigaStack Series (these are blue), which use the same cells as the Ark batteries, but in a new "stacking" form factor. They have a 12 year warranty. (6 year full replacement, 12 year pro-rated) And those cells have been in use and proven in the ARK series for probably 5-6 years now!

The second new line is the Stack Series (these are grey), they are in a similar "stacking" form factor, are a little cheaper than the GigaStack ones and have a lighter BMS (100A vs the 150A in the GigaStack).

All of the non-Ark branded ones have closed loop comms. Although the 2 newest ones are a bit better on the comms than the original black server rack ones. All of these have JK balancers in them as well!

Full Disclosure: I do not work for Rubix battery! I do have close ties to the owner(s), and I see a lot of the R&D happening with their products. BMSs and balancers for these batteries are always in stock at Rubix, and field replaceable, if something happens to fry them! (lightning, etc.)

Hit me with any other questions you may have on these. If I don't know the answer I'll find out for you!
Well thanks , I think your right… he finally got them all hooked up and they seem to do great…
I don’t know much about them , but he’s happy , so I’m happy …

Thanks for your info…

J.

Well thanks , I think your right… he finally got them all hooked up and they seem to do great…
I don’t know much about them , but he’s happy , so I’m happy …

Thanks for your info…

J.
You are welcome!

For a reference for anyone who may be curious on the new Rubix Stack and GigaStack batteries, here is a picture.
1712151057013.png

Back