diy solar

diy solar

Time to be power independent

pnnf

Hello everyone,

Ive been living in my fifth wheel for about 7 years now. It started being temporary but I've grown to love this life style. I do not travel and am base camped while hooked to shore power. I would love unhook from the power company and supplying my own power needs. Ive been doing a good amount of research and though i still need to get down to doing the math for my needs I have questions about what parts I will actually need since Im in an RV thats already wired for 12 volts but Ill leave that for another thread. Just wanted to say Hi~

Hello everyone,

Ive been living in my fifth wheel for about 7 years now. It started being temporary but I've grown to love this life style. I do not travel and am base camped while hooked to shore power. I would love unhook from the power company and supplying my own power needs. Ive been doing a good amount of research and though i still need to get down to doing the math for my needs I have questions about what parts I will actually need since Im in an RV thats already wired for 12 volts but Ill leave that for another thread. Just wanted to say Hi~

Hello, 'unhook from the power company and supplying my own power needs' is really good to know!

Hey there. Im new too.

Like you, OP, I am preparing to be fully independent, as it will be necessary. No power to the land I just bought. I plan to live in a converted tour bus coach until I get a cabin built. The cabin will also be off grid. In doing my best to absorb all this incredible education Will has been so generous with, I am feeling that a really "easy" solution, particularly in an RV, will be to simply buy a Titan (which he has reviewed), and possibly add more battery packs. I love that the Titan uses 24v battery packs. After watching him build a 24v system, complete with costing it out, it appears to be around same $ as a Titan. And the Titan has some cool features and is portable. Then I could simply move it to the cabin when it's done, or if I am struggling to generate enough power fast enough to charge in one day in winter, I can take the Titan somewhere and plug it in to charge it. I could even set it up to have the onboard generator provide additional charge to it to charge faster if winter is slowing the charge too much.

Hey there. Im new too.

Like you, OP, I am preparing to be fully independent, as it will be necessary. No power to the land I just bought. I plan to live in a converted tour bus coach until I get a cabin built. The cabin will also be off grid. In doing my best to absorb all this incredible education Will has been so generous with, I am feeling that a really "easy" solution, particularly in an RV, will be to simply buy a Titan (which he has reviewed), and possibly add more battery packs. I love that the Titan uses 24v battery packs. After watching him build a 24v system, complete with costing it out, it appears to be around same $ as a Titan. And the Titan has some cool features and is portable. Then I could simply move it to the cabin when it's done, or if I am struggling to generate enough power fast enough to charge in one day in winter, I can take the Titan somewhere and plug it in to charge it. I could even set it up to have the onboard generator provide additional charge to it to charge faster if winter is slowing the charge too much.
Titan's are great and do have practical applications. But If you are willing to learn a little and take some chances that things may go haywire while you are learning you can build something 2 or three times more powerful for half the cost.

Right now I am working on 2 solar generators (not for sale but for my own use) 7500 Wh capacity 3 hour solar charging 4 hour wall charging 3500 watt continuous discharge for $3000.00 including 3000 watts of solar panels.

Sounds interesting, but there is no way I can fit 3000w of solar panels on the roof of a bus. I am also a bit apprehensive about building something that could go wrong in a tight, confined space like my tour bus. But I am very intrigued. I'd like to chat in more depth if you are willing.

Sounds interesting, but there is no way I can fit 3000w of solar panels on the roof of a bus. I am also a bit apprehensive about building something that could go wrong in a tight, confined space like my tour bus. But I am very intrigued. I'd like to chat in more depth if you are willing.

Didn't you say you bought land? Crazy idea here... Can you fit them on the land? :)

Always. And you do not need to go that big I was just really giving an idea of what can be done. even if you had 1000 watts of solar mine would charge from empty to full in 6.5 hours from the sun. (with full sun) theoretically.

I'm gonna aim for 2000w on the thing if possible. Maybe have to add ground deployed if necessary. I don't know yet what my 24hr need will be. I will work out how to pm you. I really do want to discuss this. I am in process of purchasing the coach (having thorough inspection done), which I am told has some solar setup already. I'm guessing lead acid and an old charger/inverter, as the bus has been sitting for some time and the owner has passed away.

I'm gonna aim for 2000w on the thing if possible. Maybe have to add ground deployed if necessary. I don't know yet what my 24hr need will be. I will work out how to pm you. I really do want to discuss this. I am in process of purchasing the coach (having thorough inspection done), which I am told has some solar setup already. I'm guessing lead acid and an old charger/inverter, as the bus has been sitting for some time and the owner has passed away.

Start your own thread when you're ready to get serious.

Didn't you say you bought land? Crazy idea here... Can you fit them on the land?
Yes, but I really don't like the idea of an array on or near the ground. Not only ugly as hell in a gorgeous area with a view, but big game comes onto the property. Rural Montana. So I'll be cramming panels the best I possibly can. Also like being able to be mobile with the setup. Maybe build a swing up rack setup off the back to add a couple more panels... and/or a foldout setup on roof to get that extra capacity.

Hey there. Im new too.

congratulations on the property! Thats how my journey started as well. Unfortunate, My heath now wont allow for me to take care of land. Heck I may get some and just let it overgrow lol. Im happy to have found a newbie like myself. Cant wait for your updates to see how your doing!

Titan's are great and do have practical applications. But If you are willing to learn a little and take some chances that things may go haywire while you are learning you can build something 2 or three times more powerful for half the cost.

Right now I am working on 2 solar generators (not for sale but for my own use) 7500 Wh capacity 3 hour solar charging 4 hour wall charging 3500 watt continuous discharge for $3000.00 including 3000 watts of solar panels.
This sound very interesting. I did my solar audit....:( how energy unaware was I. I dont know if/when ill be able to come off grid and still keep my current energy usage. I did a second audit and im still at 43000wh's. Im still learning so I h ope to get a handle on it soon. Im now looking at 12v mini splits so i can the A.C. back in. I was also reading that there is an ac-dc converter in the mini split since they run on dc, shouldnt i be able to bypass the ac-dc converter. ive got more questions than ever :). Ill be making more posts about my thoughts and questions just thought what you mentioned sounded like something i may be able to utilize.

This sound very interesting. I did my solar audit....:( how energy unaware was I. I dont know if/when ill be able to come off grid and still keep my current energy usage. I did a second audit and im still at 43000wh's. Im still learning so I h ope to get a handle on it soon. Im now looking at 12v mini splits so i can the A.C. back in. I was also reading that there is an ac-dc converter in the mini split since they run on dc, shouldnt i be able to bypass the ac-dc converter. ive got more questions than ever :). Ill be making more posts about my thoughts and questions just thought what you mentioned sounded like something i may be able to utilize.
If the mini splits work on DC that could be a fairly large savings. Maybe @Supervstech would have an Idea.

I know of a couple living in their bus conversion, with a 4500kw solar setup, that runs a/c 24/7, using a mini split system. I priced a dual zone mini split system for the bus I am considering. Not cheap at $3500, but it should allegedly heat and cool in the cold Montana winters. I would supplement with propane heater on the coldest days. Or install a wood stove, but that is no cheap investment either.

congratulations on the property! Thats how my journey started as well. Unfortunate, My heath now wont allow for me to take care of land. Heck I may get some and just let it overgrow lol. Im happy to have found a newbie like myself. Cant wait for your updates to see how your doing!
I am very sorry to hear about your health. If you want to send me a pm and are willing to tell me what your troublers are, I have many close friends and colleagues in advanced alternative care who get amazing results. I am actually designing a "clean" cancer centre for Costa Rica. No drugs. If not I certainly understand. After losing my wife I am pretty passionate about helping others with illness who are willing to step away from traditional "genocide for profit" care. Either way, I wish you luck and will do my best to update as I go. I am not much of a digital world guy.

Yes, minisplit use an inverter to power the motors with dc voltage, but it is pulsed motor controller dc, so, unless you get one designed for dc input, they can’t be fed dc voltage. Most often, they run on 300V dc...

there are many bands of minisplit that are designed for dc input, or solar direct input.

Yes, minisplit use an inverter to power the motors with dc voltage, but it is pulsed motor controller dc, so, unless you get one designed for dc input, they can’t be fed dc voltage. Most often, they run on 300V dc...

there are many bands of minisplit that are designed for dc input, or solar direct input.
Thank you very much, ill add those to my research. Man this is a lot nut ill get my head around it :)

Are you living on the short bus?
You could fit 3000W (STC) of panels in 21' x 8.5'

I got SunPower 327W panels which are 42" x 62"

Back