diy solar

diy solar

Truck Camper Build

Got an alternative to the 60 amp dc2dc charger.
Install a an inverter in the truck and run 1500watts@120VAC from the truck inverter to the second ac input on the inverter/charger.
That way you get more charge current via a much smaller cable and the extra utility of having an inverter in the truck.

The Multiplus doesn't have a second AC input. He would have to step up to the Quattro for that. Or put in an Automatic Transfer Switch.
@neil_99 expressed interest in the 3000 watt Samlex Evo which has dual ac inputs.

@neil_99 expressed interest in the 3000 watt Samlex Evo which has dual ac inputs.

Gotcha. I have to wonder how efficient it would be to convert DC to AC and then AC back down to DC.

With the F-450, he'll already have a built-in inverter, but it will be limited to about 300 watts and it's MSW. I'm not sure that would cut it, but if it does, that would cut costs a bit.

Gotcha. I have to wonder how efficient it would be to convert DC to AC and then AC back down to DC.
~90% for the truck inverter
and another ~90% for the ac_charger in the samlex.
By my calculations 1000 watts in gets 810 watts out.
Which is ~63 amps.
The nice bit is a bog standard 16 awg extension cord can be used with no appreciable voltage drop.
Running big thick wires for dc transmission is difficult and expensive.

How would you keep the inverter charger in the camper from overdrawing and tripping out the inverter in the truck?

How would you keep the inverter charger in the camper from overdrawing and tripping out the inverter in the truck?
Usually the invereter/chargers with a second input have charge and discharge profiles specific for that port when its active.
Very similar usage model to usuing a little inverter generator vs 30 amp shore power.

So... that would only work with the Samlex, that has two AC inputs, correct? IIRC, a Victron MultiPlus only has one AC input, so he'd have to have an ATS to switch between the 'truck AC' and shore power, and I'm not sure how you'd limit the MultiPlus when it's on the truck AC supply vs. regular shorepower (30A).

So... that would only work with the Samlex, that has two AC inputs, correct? IIRC, a Victron MultiPlus only has one AC input, so he'd have to have an ATS to switch between the 'truck AC' and shore power, and I'm not sure how you'd limit the MultiPlus when it's on the truck AC supply vs. regular shorepower (30A).
Correct.
However folks run their Victron off of small generators off of ac1.
I guess they just change the charge/discharge profiles manually.
Also I believe the Victron has power assist so it could be configured not to knock the truck inverter over.

I recall reading that there may be a way to tell the Multiplus to limit the AC input amps. Maybe it was the Quattro though?

I recall reading that there may be a way to tell the Multiplus to limit the AC input amps. Maybe it was the Quattro though?
I find their doco hard to find but decent to read when located.
I just usually give up searching. :)

Also I believe the Victron has power assist so it could be configured not to knock the truck inverter over.

Isn't the 'power assist' feature for drawing from the battery to augment the AC draw? Not sure how far you'd get trying to augment the AC draw using the battery... in order to charge the battery ;)

Isn't the 'power assist' feature for drawing from the battery to augment the AC draw? Not sure how far you'd get trying to augment the AC draw using the battery... in order to charge the battery ;)
I meant if your fridge compressor kicks in while you are charging the battery at near the truck inverter capacity ;).

Yes, the MultiPlus lets you set AC current limit for the AC input. When I connect my shore power to a plain old 15A outlet I set the limit to 15A. When I go to a campsite that has 30A then I can set it to 30A.

This is all a good discussion, but after thinking through my energy needs, I think I will stick with the Multiplus and Renogy DC-DC charger. I think 2400 watts will be enough. And I think the DC-DC charger might be a little easier on the truck (vs the inverter).

Yeah, in the first one they ran some massive cables and just had a Li-BiM (battery isolator). I think if you watch that video from the beginning they discuss that part a little more. Kind of made me go "Huh?!?" when I saw that, and then when they had problems with the alternator overheating I wasn't too terribly surprised. Given the resources they had on tap for that build, I'm kind of surprised nobody at Lance or Battleborn said "Not a good idea".

Like I said, I'm looking at a similar, if smaller, build on my Adventurer 910DB. I don't have the massive basement area that some of the bigger campers have, and for better or worse, all the electrical stuff on this model is located under/behind the dry bath and the kitchen sink - not under the dinette like on some. So I'm relatively space constrained, even in a not-small camper. I've been waffling a bit between keeping everything 'in the family' (Victron), and able to manage from one phone app (or eventually a Cerbo GX), vs. having separate discrete elements like the Samlex Evo 3012 and a Renogy 40 or 60A DC-DC charger, that have higher individual ratings and/or specs. I'm kind of leaning toward the Victron option at this point, simply because having everything (other than the Orion) 'talk' to each other seems like a win.
I'm interested in seeing how your system turns out. I really like the layout of the Adventurer 910DB. If we weren't getting a Mammoth, I think we would be buying the 910DB.

It's our first truck camper, coming from a 30' TT. There's some things that we love... and some things that were 'must haves' on the shopping list that now... we might not be quite as sold on having used them for six months or so. Still a pretty good camper, though (y)

Please disregard my suggestion about using a truck-side inverter.
I was laboring under the misapprehension that this was a travel trailer build.
My apologies for the side-line.

I've attached a revised wiring diagram based on the comments on page 1. It looks like all the battery wiring (fuses, bus bar, shunt, and switch) still fits on top of the battery box, but if it doesn't I'll migrate stuff to the wall above the box. The advantage of having it on the top of the box is I can wire stuff up before crawling to the end of the basement. :)

Attachments

• WIRING2.pdf
    30.2 KB · Views: 7
Back