diy solar

diy solar

trying to create first system

elliscnck

below are the parts that I'm currently looking at to use within my solar system. I have a camp in northern Quebec and I'm trying to design a system that will allow me to run about a 1000 watts during the daylight hours(would run generator at night).
I still have a few questions:
  1. based on the below battery bank I calculate I can run a continuous 1000watts for 4hrs(50% of batteries) without solar/generator power is this correct if not what is the correct calculation?
  2. Is this unit able to remotely start/stop a generator; if so what generator(prefer Yamaha/Honda) do you recommend and parts to make this feasible? Thank you.

https://www.renogy.com/300-watt-24-volt-monocrystalline-solar-panel/ - wired 6 panels as 2s3p
https://webosolar.com/product/surrette-rolls-s6-l16-hc-s-550-445ah-6v-deep-cycle-battery/ - wired 8 batteries as 4sx2p

My usual rule of thumb is that if you want to run a 1000W load, you should have at least 2000W of solar panels. I used the exact same 300W Renogy panels for my cabin system. I would recommend you keep on shopping. I've now added four different brands of panels to my systems, and the Renogy panels were by far the most expensive, and poorest performing of the lot. I've gotten the very best performance out of 240W Astronergy panels that I payed just 55$ for each.

Exactly what kinds of loads will you be running? The Growatt, and similar AiO units, all incorporate high-frequency inverting technology that's good for resistive loads, but not inductive ones. Inductive means a lot of things with an electric motor. So, the Growatt would run lights, your toaster, or an electric blanket just fine, but will falter when trying to start motors under load, such as the refrigerator, power tools, or a well-pump.

I like Rolls batteries, and that's what I have myself. I'd recommend this one though. It has a far higher longevity rating than their standard L-16
I would plan on not using more than 20% of battery per night, not 50%. The battery size for that goal would be...
(1000W X 4h)/0.2 capacity = 20,000Wh At 24V, the battery you would need is 20,000/24V = 833Ah. At 48V you would need 20,000/48V = 416Ah. So, that Rolls battery mentioned above would mesh nicely. With 568Ah at 48V, you'd need about (568/8) X 52V charging X 1.25 loss factor =4615W of solar. So, 15 300W panels, or maybe 18 250W panels. I put in 4500W of panels for my 48V system.

I would never recommend an auto-start generator, based on personal experience. When starting the generator once, just before walking away, I noticed some funny motion. Looking down I saw that the rubber tubing from the tank to the carboretor had come loose, and gasoline was dribbling onto the running engine. I flipped the off switch before the gasoline could burst into flames. That was an attention getting experience!!

Back