diy solar

diy solar

Trying to pick a solar panel

eMptyBox

I plan on getting two eg4 48v batteries and a 6500ex AIO unit.

I live in Texas where it gets hot as 115 and cold as 10 degrees F.

I'm trying to find solar panels that are new or open box condition.

So far I've been looking to find Mono crystalline and half cells with at least 9 bb, anything else I should be looking for? Any recommendations?

I want to not overpay but have some quality panels. I've seen some use aluminum wires I'd like to avoid that if possible but I simply can't tell.

What's the difference between solarever brand or canadian solar??

I know ones slightly bigger size but what's the difference???
I have plenty of space for panels.

Thanks for the recommendation, I worry about used panels not performing as well at operating temperatures here in Texas
If I pulled them out of storage they would test good because cold and I could have issues when they're hot
Santan Solar, in Arizona has very good pricing on new and used panels. Many happy customers and good reviews.

I've been leaning towards solarever because the cells are PERC.. looking for advice I suppose, not sure if this is correct

Thanks for the recommendation, I worry about used panels not performing as well at operating temperatures here in Texas
If I pulled them out of storage they would test good because cold and I could have issues when they're hot
Santan has many new panels listed including the Perc 1/2 cell style.

ALL solar panels lose voltage when they heat up. There shouldn't be any damage to panels in hot environments. Here in the Imperial Valley Southern California it regularly gets in the 110 to 120 degrees and there are multiple solar plants with panels as far as you can see. I really don't think you need to be concerned.

Santan has many new panels listed including the Perc 1/2 cell style.

ALL solar panels lose voltage when they heat up. There shouldn't be any damage to panels in hot environments. Here in the Imperial Valley Southern California it regularly gets in the 110 to 120 degrees and there are multiple solar plants with panels as far as you can see. I really don't think you need to be concerned.
My point was they may provide adequate wattage when first tested, but performing at operating Temps might provide much less wattage when going for a used panel.

My point was they may provide adequate wattage when first tested, but performing at operating Temps might provide much less wattage when going for a used panel.
Maybe someone can speak up and confirm from experience

Look at their warranty. They generally perform slightly better than the warranty coverage. Again I believe you are overthinking this.

You can't do much for heat power loss in solar panels, it's the nature of the beast. You do however have to take into account the max VOC when the panels are cold. Use the Midnite Solar calculator to determine max VOC at the coldest temp your area will reach.

You can't do much for heat power loss in solar panels, it's the nature of the beast. You do however have to take into account the max VOC when the panels are cold. Use the Midnite Solar calculator to determine max VOC at the coldest temp your area will reach.
So lets say I have them connected in series, they all give similar voltage but what if ones very low in amps, this won't cause any issues?

The voltage is about all I can compare.

Look at their warranty. They generally perform slightly better than the warranty coverage. Again I believe you are overthinking this.
I probably am but that's because I wanted some clarity on the panels, I don't even know what to compare besides a few of the specs.

I plan on getting two eg4 48v batteries and a 6500ex AIO unit.

I live in Texas where it gets hot as 115 and cold as 10 degrees F.

I'm trying to find solar panels that are new or open box condition.

So far I've been looking to find Mono crystalline and half cells with at least 9 bb, anything else I should be looking for? Any recommendations?

I want to not overpay but have some quality panels. I've seen some use aluminum wires I'd like to avoid that if possible but I simply can't tell.
I consider panels a commodity. No reason to go after one compared to the other. You’re looking for the correct things as far as new or open box.

In my local area in Phoenix there are at least 10 individuals selling large amounts of panels on Craigslist. Some new left over from a build, others used. What I would buy for my next build would be based off

1) Physical area for the jigsaw puzzle. Much more important for a space pitied RV than other builds.

2) SCC inputs adjusted for weather. Mostly looking not to exceed voltage. I’m finding with panels being built around 10 amps, the bigger panels like 400 watts tend to have more voltage then a 200 watt panel, so with cold adjusted voltage output sometimes could be better to get five 200 watt (1000 watt total) in series than four 400 watt panels (800 watt total) in series. That and putting these panels in parallel, the math tells the truth to max out SCC output.

3). Cost to some degree. Cheap would not get me to buy the used panels with some damage or less output compared to a better performing new panel. It’s like going on a once in a lifetime vacation costing several thousand dollars and being miserable all day because you did not want to spend $10 on an overpriced bottle of water.

I probably am but that's because I wanted some clarity on the panels, I don't even know what to compare besides a few of the specs.
For example, here in Northern Baja I have a healthy 2100 watt array. In the summer I am lucky to see 1200 watts, being that my panels are in the 100+ degree heat and are positioned for better Fall/spring output. When designing your PV system you need to take things like this into consideration if you depend on your system to cover your needs on a 24/7/365 basis like most of the off grid people here.

For example, here in Northern Baja I have a healthy 2100 watt array. In the summer I am lucky to see 1200 watts, being that my panels are in the 100+ degree heat and are positioned for better Fall/spring output. When designing your PV system you need to take things like this into consideration if you depend on your system to cover your needs on a 24/7/365 basis like most of the off grid people here.
Yes I need normally 2k watts, so im going for a 4k panel set up. I have a deck above my stationary rv plenty of space.

So no one can recommend solarever brand over Canadian solar??

Am I right that the PERC cells would be more optimal in the solarever brand.

So no one can recommend solarever brand over Canadian solar??

Am I right that the PERC cells would be more optimal in the solarever brand.
Not only more wattage but less voc with solarever perc cells.

Another plus for me.

45±2℃ VS 42 ± 3°C

which one is better?

also what other specs should i compare?

still leaning towards solarever but not much input..
[would it be OK to wire 5S2P with solarever? saw it say 20A max]

/edit id prefer to do them all in one string. im just curious.

thanks for any input!

Attachments

• ddd.PNG
    ddd.PNG
    109 KB · Views: 2
  • ddd.PNG
    ddd.PNG
    182.8 KB · Views: 2
Back