diy solar

diy solar

Turn off AIO. Will solar still charge batteries?

i can tell you the LVX6048WP can charge the battery with inverters off as long as the breaker is open CLOSED for solar. Although I wouldn't recommend the unit for other reasons.
FTFY!

As a quick aside, mostly because I was curious, we had some sun yesterday so I whipped out my solar dolly and threw a panel on it. The inverter was switched off and my amp clamp meter still showed about 3a going into the battery. The only load on the battery was my Aili shunt showing the battery was charging.

So yes, at least the MPP 1012 does charge from solar with the inverter off.

Last edited:
I've seen a couple threads touch on this topic but there was no real definitive answers. So here is the question:

Is there currently any manufacturers of AIO that allow you to turn off the unit but will still allow the solar panels to charge the batteries?

I have an off grid cabin and when I leave (especially in the winter) I would like to turn off the AIO to avoid the 20W-100W idle currents but still have my solar panels charge the batteries. I think the idle currents would kill the batteries constantly when there is no sun for weeks.

I know I can use an external MPPT charge controller to rectified the situation, but that's pretty stupid knowing that there is a MPPT built into the AIO.

I've been looking at Growatt, Temank, Eco-worthy and Renogy, but it's really hard to answer my question by just looking at the specifications.

Thanks.
My growatt does that. Not super fast but it does charge in off position. No grid connected.

My Growatt SPF 3000TL LVM-ES charges the batteries with the inverter off.

My EG4 3000's will charge from the PV arrays when turned off. I turn one off my 2 inverters at around 10pm every night to save the idling current and it shuts off completely after a while of sensing no PV input. At 7am when I come to turn it on again it is already using power from the PV and charging

My Growatt 3K on my truck camper charges with the inverter off. I installed a remote switch inside by the fridge and it's handy to turn the inverter on when ever we need it.

There will be some overhead to run the SCC, but if net charging is occurring then it is covered. However, one problem with my GW is in low light conditions, the SCC sees the PV voltage and it boots up off battery power. In low light, PV production is low, when the SCC loads the PV the voltage drops and the SCC shuts down. It will continue this cycle until PV production is high enough to keep voltage up. The problem is each time it boots up it draws power from the battery. https://diysolarforum.com/threads/growatt-3000-cycling-on-off-and-beeping.46267/post-586533

Do you intend to use LFP batteries? You will need to add some type of temp control to keep batteries above 32F for charging.
Mine does. But yeah on a good sunny day it works fine but in low light condition if there is a lot of fluctuation on sunlight the charger turns on, off, so I prefer to charge the batteries during nice days.

I just turned off my EG4 inverter at the switched and I’m still getting some charge from the solar, so apparently it still charges when on standby. Fans still blowing…
IMG_9843.png

Here it is in writing:

I have an MPPSolar 1012LV-MK in which the SCC still functions when I turn the switch off.
FWIW it also automagically charges the battery bank when I start the champion to run the tablesaw or welder.

Back