diy solar

diy solar

Two wire auto start generators under $1k?

Looking to utilize the Dry Contact signal from an inverter (like EG3) to turn on/off a (cost-effective) portable generator to directly charge a battery bank. The cheapest I'm seeing is a Honda for $3K. Are there cheaper options? Or creative other creative solutions?

I don't think you're going to find a generator that's ready to take the inverter signal to start and stop the gen. What's needed is an intermediary device between the 12v (Outback) or dry contact (most other inverters) signal from the inverter which converts that to appropriate signals to start and stop the generator while checking to ensure that the generator is running (AC output). This is called an Auto Generator Start (AGS) module. This will require a min of four wires wired into the generator, often more.

Several companies produce these devices: Deep Sea Electronics (DSE), Magnum and Atkinson Electronics among others. I ordered a unit from Atkinson Electronics and will be installing it this week. I also have a DSE unit on my diesel genset that triggers the glow plugs, runs the fuel pump before cranking the starter. These devices can also monitor battery voltage, oil pressure, engine temp, etc. (more applicable to a diesel than a lower cost generator).

I received great service from Abner at Atkinson Electronics and recommend their product.

AGS modules: https://atkinsonelectronics.com/generator/

The amazing thing with Atkinson is they've developed wiring schemes for hundreds of generators and will write up more for generators not on this list. 348 pages of wiring diagrams and parts lists provided here!

Last edited:
You'd need to have a generator with an electric start. Then you could replace the key start switch with a relay that closes from the 2 wire dry contact in the inverter. Trick is to open that circuit once the generator starts. Haven't thought much about it but likely another relay in the generator output circuit with a NC contact in series with your start signal would do the trick.

You'd need to have a generator with an electric start. Then you could replace the key start switch with a relay that closes from the 2 wire dry contact in the inverter. Trick is to open that circuit once the generator starts. Haven't thought much about it but likely another relay in the generator output circuit with a NC contact in series with your start signal would do the trick.
Good point on the electric start. In addition to electric start an auto-choke is required. Generators with a remote starter will have an auto-choke.

This can be done with relays, timed relays, etc. but the third party AGS modules also do things like monitoring the AC signal to ensure the gen is running and if it isn't they keep sending the start signal, in some cases giving up after a defined set if start cycles has been competed.

The DIY version is beyond my skillset/interest level but DIYers here do all sorts of cool stuff.

Back