diy solar

diy solar

UL Batteries

Unfortunately some of us have to comply with the CEC in our local jurisdictions but what I've noticed is some batteries have been UL certified for quite a while and aren't on the list yet which makes me question what is the difference? For example SOL batteries seem to meet the warranty period and were UL certified over 6 month ago. Thanks for the link.
The difference : not willing to sponsor California's pot-a-gold ?

UL released a new revision of UL9540 standards this month. Instead of testing to a standard that was a few years old, we are sticking with the times. Since UL9540 is required in far more states than California, this is why we are focusing on getting UL9540 before CEC approval.

UL9540 "marries" batteries to an inverter as UL9540 certifies a complete system, not just a battery listing.

UL released a new revision of UL9540 standards this month. Instead of testing to a standard that was a few years old, we are sticking with the times. Since UL9540 is required in far more states than California, this is why we are focusing on getting UL9540 before CEC approval.

UL9540 "marries" batteries to an inverter as UL9540 certifies a complete system, not just a battery listing.

Thanks for the information.

*Edit* I think I mixed up what you were saying. UL9540 is not the CA requirement so what does CA require that isn't UL9540? I live in AZ so I was told that my individual components needed to be on the CEC list but that they didn't have to meet the UL9540 test (yet anyways). From what I understood was that UL9540 would automatically meet the CEC standards but it never made sense to me why the CEC didn't have a combo list if UL9540 was required testing for both Inverter & battery.

Last edited:
For area's in NEC 2020 adopted, it must be UL9540 certified system and additionally for CA on their approved CEC list.

40 out of 50 US States by years end will be on NEC2020 and DYI ESS will not be a legal option, such as buying random batteries / inverters, only those with UL9540 certified will be permitted.

The site owner ( Will ) posts videos, like for Ruixu in his DYI themed YouTube channel, but they do not meet the UL9540 requirements.

@HighTechLab
Dexter, what inverter are you going to use to get the certification? Any idea the time frame when it will be done?

@HighTechLab
Dexter, what inverter are you going to use to get the certification? Any idea the time frame when it will be done?
Pretty soon - we are telling people q4 2023, but would rather underpromise and overdeliver. It may be as soon as 30-40 days. Sol ark inverters are what we tested with.

I already have SOK, CC and Dexter are a pleasure to work with. He's a real stand up guy. Looks like I might have to buy a Solark now. Better sell a kidney ??
Or call us to make it hurt less ?

Back