diy solar

diy solar

UL Batteries

nodoze

God's country (Texas, USA)
Personally I am looking for lower cost batteries (that are at least UL 1973 Certified) I can get to be approved in a municipally regulated solar install & that would arguably be covered by my home insurance...

In looking through various threads I wasn't able to find a listing of at least UL 1973 Certified batteries in a concise spreadsheet which ideally gives an indication of price per unit/etc.

The following is the spreadsheet I started that I am sharing here to help others:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1vkRfsckYZs0M5bKzcd395HA2cmzJrUs9DSDYGuabSiY/edit?usp=sharing

Please let me know if there are any other cost-effective UL Certified Batteries to add... I also welcome input on columns to add to this spreadsheet (or other changes) to make it more helpful. Feel free to add comments to the sheet or copy it to your drive and edit to your content (add columns/reformat/etc) and send me the link and I will do my best to update my original (I purposefully left it unprotected so folk could make copies of it & use it as desired).

Note that multiple other threads seemed to asking for the same info I was looking for but no actual answers... In my research the best thread I found so far was this thread:

While that thread didn't have what I was looking for it did get to this California State site that list equipment, including batteries, that are UL 1973 Certified & approved for use in California:

Note that from the California site I got the initial source for my spreadsheet and then I started adding columns that I was looking for and then rows/entries for batteries that were not on the California list but are UL 1973 Certified... Currently California is only tracking UL 1973 on it's list of approved Batteries for Solar... If you click on 'Download Excel file' they have 3 columns tracking UL 1973 but nothing on UL 9540 (at least yet) and I will try to check back periodically to see if it is added. The downloaded spreadsheet does mention 'Certified JA12' which I think points to 'Appendix JA12 – Qualification Requirements for Battery Storage System' which does say "the battery storage system shall be tested in accordance with the applicable requirements given in UL1973 and UL9540" but every column tracking JA12 says "No Information Submitted" on every row so it looks like they haven't gotten this tracked/implemented yet...

Note also that any price listed may not be the lowest price available at any given time as I only put what I saw as the lowest at the time I did my update for that row. In most cases I stopped after 5 prices and took the lowest if the vendor site seemed at all decent and possibly reputable (and in some cases I could only find 1 price or no prices). My focus was on smaller, preferably modular batteries, that can be stacked in solar setups (like by a DIYer).

Note also that I do not vouch for any vendor listed in here and the links are just for price range reference... If you do find better prices and or strong vendors that you can vouch for please post them to the thread and I will try to update the relevant row...

Last edited:
After spending many hours of researching I am done going through the list that I have for at least now. If anyone wants a particular row updated and/or would like a row added for a UL Certified battery added please post the info needed to this thread including:

-The values/info for each column;
-The URL (weblink) for the UL Certification info;
-The URL (weblink) for the price info.

Thanks for putting this together. It is really a shame that there aren't more UL listed systems at competitive (<$400/kWh) prices-- that is where the economics start to work out with on-grid batteries. It almost makes me reconsider SimpliPhi.

Thanks for putting this together. It is really a shame that there aren't more UL listed systems at competitive (<$400/kWh) prices-- that is where the economics start to work out with on-grid batteries. It almost makes me reconsider SimpliPhi.
No problem. The cheapest to possibly consider right now that may be UL certified was previously being offered on our forum back before the policy changed to remove all vendor offerings.

I did some searching and the only listing I could find to replace the one removed from our forums is the following for between $999 & $1,100 (depending on quantity ordered):

https://www.globalsources.com/LiFePO4-battery/Solar-Battery-1190910609p.htm

Note that I don't know anything of the above site nor any experience with the product... It would be great if one could get reviewed/tested by someone as something that is UL listed for that price could be a huge boon for lots of folk.

The report for SOK's UL 1973 certification for their cost effective 48 Volt (51.2 Nominal) 100Ah, 5.12 kWh server rack battery has been released in draft form. Final version expected this month (October 2022).

The report & ETA are discussed in the web based owner's manual on page 1-4:

The actual draft report linked on page 1-4 above is really interesting with lots of details including schematics and what not and I found it a pretty fascinating read & it can be found at this URL:

The link to buy it at a competitive cost of $1,789.99 can be found here:

I updated the spreadsheet denoting the drafted UL status with caution (yellow) and ETA (this month) for final status:

If I see that it has changed from draft to final/full status I will endeavor to update that.

Last edited:
The report for SOK's UL 1973 certification for their cost effective 48 Volt (51.2 Nominal) 100Ah, 5.12 kWh server rack battery has been released in draft form. Final version expected this month (October 2022).
Does UL1973 matter in many jurisdictions now? I thought the current code requirement is UL9540/9540A.

Not sure if it is relevant, but the new hybrid battery/power pack Dr Prepare 100ah LiFePO4 battery is UL listed as a power pack.

Also noted Relion's 100ah battery has some sort of ul listing for cars, not sure that I saw it on your list? Not wearing glasses,so I could have easily missed it.

The report & ETA are discussed in the web based owner's manual on page 1-4:

The actual draft report linked on page 1-4 above is really interesting with lots of details including schematics and what not and I found it a pretty fascinating read & it can be found at this URL:

The link to buy it at a competitive cost of $1,789.99 can be found here:

I updated the spreadsheet denoting the drafted UL status with caution (yellow) and ETA (this month) for final status:

If I see that it has changed from draft to final/full status I will endeavor to update that.

ohh only thing about it that you are forced to revel trade partners in this listings :unsure:

I was not able to find this on CA approved list over at the CEC website. If it's not showing on the list it may be harder to get approval in states requiring it. I just wanted to let everyone know. It's possible I overlooked it however. Please let me know if I did.

I was not able to find this on CA approved list over at the CEC website. If it's not showing on the list it may be harder to get approval in states requiring it. I just wanted to let everyone know. It's possible I overlooked it however. Please let me know if I did.
If you look 'UL Source' column in the spreadsheet I posted you should notice that the UL source for all 4 of the lowest cost$/kWhours are NOT the California's website... I don't know the processes/procedures to get that site updated nor how long of a lag any updates may have... Also please be aware that the spreadsheet is at a point in time and I try to denote updates/changes for each row in the 'Spreadsheet Row Last Updated' column...

If you look 'UL Source' column in the spreadsheet I posted you should notice that the UL source for all 4 of the lowest cost$/kWhours are NOT the California's website... I don't know the processes/procedures to get that site updated nor how long of a lag any updates may have... Also please be aware that the spreadsheet is at a point in time and I try to denote updates/changes for each row in the 'Spreadsheet Row Last Updated' column...

Isn't the Pytes E-BOX 48100R on California's approved list?

If you have to use UL listed batteries I'm guessing DIY battery builds are a dead market there?

If you have to use UL listed batteries I'm guessing DIY battery builds are a dead market there?

I think that's pretty much the case in places like California or anywhere that has the same CA standards. What's worse is that some states (like CA) have adopted the UL9540 standard which means the inverter + battery combo has to be tested together in unison to pass the test. I've heard antidotal evidence that it's up the the inspectors discretion if the inverter + battery has to be tested together instead of separately (UL9540A) but I wouldn't count on that. So living in the wrong state means that every inverter + battery combo needs to be tested and approved which takes time and costs a lot of money for the manufacturer. That's probably why the battery prices are so high. Finding a decently priced UL9540 combo is the issue I was having in Arizona but I recently learned that AZ does not require UL9540 for approval (yet). I still need UL1973, however. So UL1973 required in some places and the more strict UL9540 required in others. These increasingly strict certification requirements make solar installs even more difficult for DIYers and battery builds seem completely off the table for grid tied systems.

Back