diy solar

diy solar

Unboxing of Deye 16K Hybrid Inverter

Well I've seen atleast 2 people get one in the last month, so its not impossible.
Never say never, the Chinese will sell you their grandma if the price is right. ? Unlike the US version, it will be harder for Sol-Ark to suppress Deye from manufacturing and distributing the EU 230V version as it's not in their contract. As of now, the Alibaba vendors were told to stay away from the US purchase; an honor system. That's what happen when Chinese vendors are shipping Split-phase to the US, till the guy in Plano, TX stopped Deye on it's track. Oh well, we still have our man James from Sulphur Spring, TX supplying choice of 2 different brand Autotransformer to provide us with that much needed Neutral for the 120V load and save the day. If there's a will, there's a way. It's an American thing. No Biggie.

Keith from SunSynk have no problem having to compete with the OEM Deye in the market. There are those that need hand-holding in support and warranty; and willing to pay a premium price. And there's DIYer that can manage themself and enjoy tinkering with their gears and pay a lower price for Deye. The market support both model. Except for the monopolistic Sol-Ark that wanted the the entire American pie to themself.

Last edited:
Never say never, the Chinese will sell you their grandma if the price is right. ? Unlike the US version, it will be harder for Sol-Ark to suppress Deye from manufacturing and distributing the EU 230V version as it's not in their contract.

Keith from SunSynk have no problem having to compete with the OEM Deye in the market. There are those that need hand-holding in support and warranty; and willing to pay a premium price. And there's DIYer that can manage themself and enjoy tinkering with their gears and pay a lower price for Deye. The market support both model. Except for the monopolistic Sol-Ark that wanted the the entire American pie to themself.
I totally agree with you. Sol-Ark guy is trying to became the Elon Musk for the inverter market in the us, he have not realize how consequential is this for him and his company.

View attachment 126749
That's my Whatsup message from Kyle after I posted this message on the forum. For those who do not know Kyle, he's the main man at Deye that runs the Inverter Engineering department. Guess the owner of Sol-Ark has something to do with this. First, is the US Split-phase and now the EU Single phase is being barred from the US market. Thank you Sol-Ark.

Good luck to finding dealer on Alibaba to ship you one on Alibaba if you're in the United States.

https://www.youtube.com/@kylezhang8343/featured
But this is directly from DEYE, you can still buy it from another source.

View attachment 126749
That's my Whatsup message from Kyle after I posted this message on the forum. For those who do not know Kyle, he's the main man at Deye that runs the Inverter Engineering department. Guess the owner of Sol-Ark has something to do with this. First, is the US Split-phase and now the EU Single phase is being barred from the US market. Thank you Sol-Ark.

Good luck to finding dealer on Alibaba to ship you one on Alibaba if you're in the United States.

https://www.youtube.com/@kylezhang8343/featured
makes you wonder if they follow and look into this forum to protect their 300% margins now doesnt it ?

The Deye/Sol-Ark is a multi-headed beast, PV IS NOT NECESSARY for a USP/EPS mode. The configuration is in UPS mode with just GRID and Battery Power. Grid power is used to charge battery and will discharge if Grid connection is lost, the Inverter will enter into UPS mode and start Battery DC->AC Inverting to power the Backup LOAD. A similar UPS/EPS system were installed at a AirBNB condo in Puerto Rico with no PV Access that faces frequent Grid power outage. The Deye 8K was Grid-tie to charge a 30KW LFP battery bank. When Grid fail, the 8K will power the Critical Load panel till Grid recovery.

View attachment 126491

How to configure Deye 8K,16K etc ... to USP/EPS mode with Grid and Battery

View attachment 126492
1. Enable/Check "Grid Charge"
2. Disable/Uncheck "Grid Signal"
View attachment 126493
1. Enable/Check "Zero Export to Load"
2. Disable/Uncheck "Solar Sell"
View attachment 126494
1. Disable/Uncheck "Time of Use"

How to configure Sol-Ark 12K 15K etc ... to USP/EPS mode with Grid and Battery

View attachment 126495
1. Enable/Check "Grid Charge"
View attachment 126496
1. Enable/Check "Limited Power to Load"
2. Disable/Uncheck "Time of Use"
is it ok to have the whole house on back up? like this:1672103989071.jpeg

is it ok to have the whole house on back up? like this:View attachment 126769
Sure you can if you perform some due diligence.

1. An accurate estimate of your Max. Energy usage and add 10% to the equation.
2. Based on #1, size up your PV array size and takes in to consideration like cloudy and non productive days.
3. The Sun don't shine at night, figure out your evening energy needs and then size up your Battery Bank.
4. If the above is too costly and exceed your budget, you can always have it grid tie and buy energy from your Grid whenever you need. The Deye's firmware is very flexible, it support TOU (Time-Of-Use) tier energy usage where California solar customer are being forced to pay double rate between 4:00-9:00 PM when the Sun stops production. The inverter can be programmed to start discharging Battery to power Load. If you're grid energy cost is cheapest at night and you're expecting non productive Winter days, you can program the inverter to grid charge your Battery.

The 16K is very flexible Inverter and you can expand the system as your budget allows. Per your fellow Brit, Keith from SunSynk, you have a Monster. ?

I have 2*8K in parallel and support 16KW on Load. My whole houses runs totally off-grid with 51.2KW Batteries Bank and a 20KW PV array. The 16K will be my ultimate Solar generator with 8*300A*51.2VDC~122.88KW (arriving at Long Beach Port this Saturday) Battery Bank. Total of 174 KW of Battery power, if this on a Tesla model 3, it will provide almost 700 miles driving range ?

When you're ready to configure your system, if you have any questions, PM or post your question here.

Cheers.

Last edited:
makes you wonder if they follow and look into this forum to protect their 300% margins now doesnt it ?
You bet they do, after I posted the guy in the private jet, it was discretely removed from the Sol-Ark website and replaced with a headshot portrait. Vendor start saying, they can't ship to the US. Thanks Tom.

Go figure. ?

Last edited:

2. Based on #1, size up your PV array size and takes in to consideration like cloudy and non productive days.
3. The Sun don't shine at night, figure out your evening energy needs and then size up your Battery Bank.
4. If the above is too costly and exceed your budget, you can always have it grid tie and buy energy from your Grid whenever you need. The Deye's firmware is very flexible, it support TOU (Time-Of-Use) tier energy usage where California solar customer are being forced to pay double rate between 4:00-9:00 PM when the Sun stops production. The inverter can be programmed to start discharging Battery to power Load. If you're grid energy cost is cheapest at night and you're expecting non productive Winter days, you can program the inverter to grid charge your Battery.

The 16K is very flexible Inverter and you can expand the system as your budget allows. Per your fellow Brit, Keith from SunSynk, you have a Monster. ?

I have 2*8K in parallel and support 16KW on Load. My whole houses runs totally off-grid with 51.2KW Batteries Bank and a 20KW PV array. The 16K will be my ultimate Solar generator with 8*300A*51.2VDC~122.88KW (arriving at Long Beach Port this Saturday) Battery Bank. Total of 174 KW of Battery power, if this on a Tesla model 3, it will provide almost 700 miles driving range ?

When you're ready to configure your system, if you have any questions, PM or post your question here.

Cheers.
With the ability of this 16K to do Split phase, are you still considering using the Victron Autotransformer you ordered, or how are you doing this?

After clearing some shipping screwup at Signature Solar, the Growatt AST Autotransformer finally show up after Christmas.
This unit is the more expensive one with a built in Electrically energized Auto Transfer Switch for Grid and Backup LOAD with Autotransformer in a single unit. The reason for choosing the Growatt over the Victron, is due to the limitation of the 100A model only comes with a 32A Neutral, some what limited compared with the 48A Neutral on and a 80A passthrough for the 240V with the Growatt.

The ATS (Auto Transfer Switch) is implemented with a pair of quality Swedish ABB contactors. A CHNT 80A breaker provide over current protection on the Split-phase L1, N, L2. Yes, is the missing Neutral babe! Lastly, a big transformer from KNT. The entire chassis is grounded. Need to check if the Neutral to Ground is bonded when I have a chance. All the components are UL listed.

The Growatt ATS 11400T-US itself is UL 1741 compliance equipment.

Signature Solar has price it reasonably at $498.00 and yes no sales tax for out of state purchase. Kudos to James, you're the man? I'm pretty happy with the purchase and look forward to have it wired up for intensive integration and load testing. The 122.88KW Battery bank will be at the port this Saturday and hopefully I'll be able to take delivery next week.

Stay tune and don't change that dial ?

Finally, FedEx man show up ...
1672287268730.png
Well packed with heavy duty foam backing.
1672287315439.png

Everything is clearly labeled and protected.
1672287356429.png

The ABB Contactor that implement the ATS function (Auto-Transfer-Switch) for Auto Switching between GIRD and BACKUP LOAD.
1672287409667.png

Split-phase L1-N-L2, fully protected by CHNT 80A breaker
1672287449096.png

Big KNT split-phase transformer. Yeah, show me the Neutral !

1672287487522.png

Yup, is UL 1741 compliance and tested by Intertek.
1672287157165.png

Last edited:
With the ability of this 16K to do Split phase, are you still considering using the Victron Autotransformer you ordered, or how are you doing this?
Remember, this is 230V Single-phase; they do not need the Neutral for return current to source as both legs are HOT L=115V & N are N=115V. Bunch of folks are fuzzy over Single and Split-phase; do not understand basic Electricity principle. Just like the EU standard, the US electrical are delivered to household in L1=120V and L2=120V (we are 5V more than the European on each leg of the circuit, don't know why?) The last leg transformer on the pole, provided the Neutral and is bonded to ground. That's how we have Split-phase Hot 120V to Neutral for our 120V appliance. However, heavy duty appliance like AC, Electric Dryer all Single-phase 240V and DOES not require a Neutral. Both L1 and L2 are 180 degrees out of phase, essentially take turns to being the return wire every time the phase switches. Hence no Neutral ! Wonder why the European call is N (Neutral) when is really a Hot leg carrying voltage and current, why not just call is L1 and L2 like us American. Guess they are trying to confuse us ?

The latest firmware has removed support for UL 1741 and CA21 support from the menu, but is still lurking inside the firmware code. I was messing around with the Firmware till I found out a way to switch the damn thing back to UL 1741SA and CA21 (California CPUC Rule 21) and magically I was able to have L=120V N=120N and the Inverter entered into fully operational status in my recent pics posted. The IGBT circuit, did not implement the Neutral. When I forced it to split-phase, the unit will SHUT DOWN within 2 minutes and throw a F08 GFDI_Relay_Failure. Deye has implemented both GFCI and AFCI in the inverter in order to meet US safety standard per NEC requirements and the UL 1741 test specifications. The EU version with the Missing Neutral, after startup, the firmware will measure the current leaving the Hot side of the power source and comparing it to the current returning to the Neutral side. If they are not equal, which in this case, the Neutral is NOT IMPLEMENTED and hence it throws out the F08 which means GFCI error condition (Ground Fault Circuit Interruption condition) and shutdown the 16K. In order to follow NEC code, I will be using AFCI and GFCI combo breaker on the LOAD panel for safety and compliance.

Last edited:
Remember, this is 230V Single-phase; they do not need the Neutral for return current to source as both legs are HOT L=115V & N are N=115V. Bunch of folks are fuzzy over Single and Split-phase; do not understand basic Electricity principle. Just like the EU standard, the US electrical are delivered to household in L1=120V and L2=120V (we are 5V more than the European on each leg of the circuit, don't know why?) The last leg transformer on the pole, provided the Neutral and is bonded to ground. That's how we have Split-phase Hot 120V to Neutral for our 120V appliance. However, heavy duty appliance like AC, Electric Dryer all Single-phase 240V and DOES not require a Neutral. Both L1 and L2 are 180 degrees out of phase, essentially take turns to being the return wire every time the phase switches. Hence no Neutral !

The latest firmware has removed support for UL 1741 and CA21 support from the menu, but is still lurking inside the firmware code. I was messing around with the Firmware till I found out a way to switch the damn thing back to UL 1741SA and CA21 (California CPUC Rule 21) and magically I was able to have L=120V N=120N and the Inverter entered into fully operational status in my recent pics posted. The IGBT circuit, did not implement the Neutral. When I forced it to split-phase, the unit will SHUT DOWN within 2 minutes and throw a F08 GFDI_Relay_Failure. Deye has implemented both GFCI and AFCI in the inverter in order to meet US safety standard per NEC requirements and the UL 1741 test specifications. The EU version with the Missing Neutral, after startup, the firmware will measure the current leaving the Hot side of the power source and comparing it to the current returning to the Neutral side. If they are not equal, which in this case, the Neutral is NOT IMPLEMENTED and hence it throws out the F08 which means GFCI error condition (Ground Fault Circuit Interruption condition) and shutdown the 16K. In order to follow NEC code, I will be using AFCI and GFCI combo breaker on the LOAD panel for safety and compliance.
1. This latest firmware you mention, was this automatic firmware upgrade without your input or was you that intentionally do the upgrade yourself?
2. Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't the autotransformer limit your 16kw inverter to being an essentially 11kw inverter?

1. This latest firmware you mention, was this automatic firmware upgrade without your input or was you that intentionally do the upgrade yourself?
Latest firmware meaning, the default loaded into the Inverter at the factory. Previously, the EU firmware provide options for UL 1741 and CA21, search for "Deye Hybrid" on YouTube video and you'll know what I mean. Though is REMOVED, the options are still in the firmware code. I've NOT had the WiFi logger connected to the inverter.
2. Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't the autotransformer limit your 16kw inverter to being an essentially 11kw inverter?
YES, the AST does limit the load to 11.5KW with the CHNT 80A breaker (80A*240V=19,200W~19.2KW) with 6 AWG (rated 55A, according to Cerro Wire amp capacity chart ) Growatt listed as 48A*240V=11.52KW L1=120V-L2=120V. NO, the Single-phase load do not require the Autotransformer, is merely a passthrough. In this event, I could rewire the ABB Contactor and the CHNT breaker with 2 AWG wire would increase the amperage to 100A and replace the CHNT 80A MCB with a LG 100A MCB. Take note on the ABB 3-4,5-6 support 63A while R1-R2,R7-R8 support 30A. I need to rewire this or modify the system as I'm using the 16K totally Off-Grid with No Grid-AC in; as a Solar/Battery Generator to the 2*8K in scenario of low Solar day or heavy Load during late summer heat-wave, mainly as a big ass solar charger for my EV. The ABB contactor for AST function is not required in my application. Alternatively, replacing the ABB contactor with a LG 100A breaker for the 16K LOAD out. More exploration and tinkering. Hello it's DIY time.

1672307706541.png

redirectFileUrl.htm

Last edited:
It will limit only your 240v loads, but it will enable you to use 11.5kw per 120v leg, the splitphase solark/deye only allow like 4kw per leg on the 15k inverter your 15k solark will shutdown if you turn on your toaster, coffee machine and microwave at the same time.

Cheers.
Thank you really appreciate that, I will definitely take you up on that offer on set up.

My house uses about 10KWh a day of electricity on average. Peak load I’ve ever seen is 9KWh at one time with everything running.

I have 31KWh of server rack batteries on their way so should have 3 days of back up power.

I have 13 x 540w bifacial solar panels I picked up for £50 each that I will have set up in the garden for now and look to roof mount as many as possible in the summer.

If was originally planning on charging from the grid at night when the power is cheap and running off the batteries during the day. But the solar panels were so cheap I couldn’t say no!

I will defiantly have the car charger set to the GEN/AUX port for dumping any extra solar power to the car as I don’t have the G99 application done yet and can’t export to GRID at this time.

I’m setting it up with safety first as my primary concern so I’m doing my best to make sure I get it right first time and not cut any corners etc.

One thing I need to just make sure I’m 100% on is the Earthing. I want it to work in Islanding mode if there is a grid outage and looks like I need to put in my own grounding rod but I’m not 100% on where to hook it up after putting it in the ground.

You bet they do, after I posted the guy in the private jet, it was discretely removed from the Sol-Ark website and replaced with a headshot portrait. Vendor start saying, they can't ship to the US. Thanks Tom.

Go figure. ?
Is the earth/neutral bond relay integrated into the Deye 16K? or do we have to add our own relay for when the Grid connection is down?

Sorry to keep Hijacking, I'll start my own thread when I do the install! I am trying to get as much information before the batteries arrive as I can so I can get everything ordered in advance.

Is the earth/neutral bond relay integrated into the Deye 16K? or do we have to add our own relay for when the Grid connection is down?

Sorry to keep Hijacking, I'll start my own thread when I do the install! I am trying to get as much information before the batteries arrive as I can so I can get everything ordered in advance.
you can either do that relay based, or so that in your panel after the inverter ( when only load port is connected to your panel )

Back