diy solar

diy solar

Unboxing of Deye 16K Hybrid Inverter

Last issue is the 240v signal for the earth neutral bond and it’s ready to tidy up cables take some photos and set up my own build theead!
I’m sure it’s been covered in this thread multiple times. But for the sake of simplicity. Where did you purchase your units from?

I’m sure it’s been covered in this thread multiple times. But for the sake of simplicity. Where did you purchase your units from?
Alibaba. I did an RFQ request for the inverter and a separate one for the batteries. I didn't choose the cheapest suppliers, but the ones that had the best feedback, longest established and competitive price.

Alibaba. I did an RFQ request for the inverter and a separate one for the batteries. I didn't choose the cheapest suppliers, but the ones that had the best feedback, longest established and competitive price.
If you don’t mind I’ll message for a couple more details.

Last issue is the 240v signal for the earth neutral bond and it’s ready to tidy up cables take some photos and set up my own build theead!
If you have the comm board that has the CAN port on the far right your SOL on that signal. According to the later versions of the manual they changed the comm board and it has the connections. This is from the ver 2.2 2022-10-10 manual. 1677073745844.png

If you have the comm board that has the CAN port on the far right your SOL on that signal. According to the later versions of the manual they changed the comm board and it has the connections. This is from the ver 2.2 2022-10-10 manual. View attachment 136143
I do have the board with the can on the far right. No 19&20 pins, but the manual still makes mention of an ats240v signal. Frustrating.

Are you in the u.s? Which auto transformer are you using?

The current model of the 16K com board DOES NOT have pin 19,20 for 230V ~ to drive an external relay for Neutral to Ground Bonding. The confusion arises from the documentation screen shot attached, that referenced the word "ATS" (Auto-Transfer-Switch). If you read carefully between the lines in the highlighted block of text in Yellow, the ATS logically refers to the G-Start port 7,8 when the "Signal ISLAND MODE" is CHECKED in the Advanced Function Menu. If the GRID is connected and is UP, it will output 230V, which then will be connected to an External Relay that will be Open and thus Disconnect the Earth-Neutral Bond. You need to read page (10) 3.3.2 Function port definition and page (34) Advanced Function

Documentation written by morons. I'm surprised the SynSynk is Not much better than the original docs with fuzzy mumbo jumbo description on the Earth to Neutral bonding. ?

SunSynk docs are no better than the Chinamen's version. Bunch of mumbo jumbo.
1677116925039.png
Page 34 of the Original 16K User Manual
1677115237513.png

Last edited:
When grid power returns this method would energize the relay although the grid is not actually connected to the load side yet. The utility restore timer will have to expire before the grid relay will close to tie the grid and load ports together.

Here's the answer, from our fav. Brit Keffy using a contactor.

Wiring a contactor

After much digging around the PDF, the Gen-Start Dry contact signal 7,8 on the Function Port are used for the Neutral/Earth bonding signal, if the "Signal Island Mode" in the Advanced menu is Checked.
1677129966623.png

The 16K user manual.
1677130502753.png

BTW, I've two of these fine Swedish made ABB contactor that I removed from the Growatt ATS/AT that will solve the issues that was brought up. These ABB babies are UL certified contactor are available for sale ?
1677122399965.jpeg

Last edited:
If you need both, then you'll be on Dr. Evil's island, while in Island mode and back feed current back to the down Grid and fried the line worker that is slow to restore the Grid power ???

Where did you find this "After much digging around the PDF, the Gen-Start Dry contact signal 7,8 on the Function Port are used for the Neutral/Earth bonding signal, if the "Signal Island Mode" in the Advanced menu is Checked."?

The current model of the 16K com board DOES NOT have pin 19,20 for 230V ~ to drive an external relay for Neutral to Ground Bonding. The confusion arises from the documentation screen shot attached, that referenced the word "ATS" (Auto-Transfer-Switch). If you read carefully between the lines in the highlighted block of text in Yellow, the ATS logically refers to the G-Start port 7,8 when the "Signal ISLAND MODE" is CHECKED in the Advanced Function Menu. If the GRID is connected and is UP, it will output 230V, which then will be connected to an External Relay that will be Open and thus Disconnect the Earth-Neutral Bond. You need to read page (10) 3.3.2 Function port definition and page (34) Advanced Function

Documentation written by morons. I'm surprised the SynSynk is Not much better than the original docs with fuzzy mumbo jumbo description on the Earth to Neutral bonding. ?

SunSynk docs are no better than the Chinamen's version. Bunch of mumbo jumbo.
View attachment 136275
Page 34 of the Original 16K User Manual
View attachment 136269
Unfortunately it doesn’t actually output 240v when on grid. This is the bit I’m struggling with. Islanding mode is enabled, in fact it’s impossible to turn off! Uncheck it and it’s it rechecks itself next time you enter the menu.

Back