diy solar

diy solar

USA Hourly Electric Grid Monitor

Many local “independent system operators” have public sites or even apps that give out tons of public information.

ISO-NE has a pretty good app, you can have it so it alerts you if the LMP crosses a threshold.

caiso (california) has an app
miso (midcontinent iso) has an app
spp (southwest power pool) spp.org
ercot (texas) ercot.com

There are others but these are the ones I look at frequently.

caiso (california) has an app
miso (midcontinent iso) has an app
spp (southwest power pool) spp.org
ercot (texas) ercot.com

There are others but these are the ones I look at frequently.
i look at ercot periodically to see if there is a chance of rolling blackouts, since I live in texas. Why do you look at so many frequently? just curious

Mainly to just get a feel for the level of hyprocrisy out there concerning renewables vs coal/nat gas and how all that is twisted into the climate change narrative.

It is interesting to watch as the fuel mix at least with SPP and MISO has been for some time stuck at about 75-80% coal and nat gas. Wind is ocassionly around 15% but that's rare. Solar is seldom more that 4%.

It seems that those RTOs/ISOs continue to be adverse to utility scale renewables but there is the interconnection approval process delay/transmission capacity problem in there too!

I guess it all just helps me predict when and to what degree the utilities are going to screw us!

You gotta love the monopoly utility business model. Charge the rate payers to build infrastructure which the utility will own and charge the rate payers a fee to use what they paid for already.

Granted, the monopoly was justified, IN 1925 but 100 years later, it is time for a new model.

I also want to watch the train wreck of electrifying everything unfold with the actual data rather than having to sift through all the agenda filtered explanations after the fact!

I heard a politician say that an EV was like having 25 refrigerators running in your house. Can you imagine that? .......... Yeah, it called a hot tub.
Those with an EV will likely also have solar panels to offset energy use. It will never turn out to be what you think.

Mysteriously I stopped getting utility bills about 6 years ago. I got online and looked at the 28KWH I use a month when I'm gone. I got 4 LED lights on timers and everything else has the breaker turned off. Some phantom there. Tried to figure out just what electricity costs a KWH without the add ons, figured 23 cents. Everyone is complaining about addons to electric bill with solar. I pay $47 a month just to have gas with no usage. Does it make sense you can have access to electricity for just $16 a month. Electricity has to be more expensive to maintain. No reason why these two shouldn't be about the same. So buck up if you want to be connected to the grid.

Yea, I kicked all utilities to the curb some time ago. The savings have been great, low hassle, and the piece of mind is priceless, but .... there are still politicians lurking around. No grid connection, no water or sewer - no occupancy! That's what I worry about the most. No lobby for off-grid wackos who choose to live the simpler life!

Back