diy solar

diy solar

Use mod sine wave for deep freeze?

2.5 kWh/day is about 2.5 hours production from the four panels. That leaves 3 hours (around summer time) of unused production. Probably still covers winter consumption if you're not in Alaska.

Just over 25% DoD if your loads are entirely at night, not much cycling for a deep-cycle battery. If mostly in the day time, batteries just float.
I think the FLA want to see at least 0.1C charge rate as much as possible to keep electrolyte mixed. Floating in the day, discharging only a bit at night, gradually recharging as the sun comes up before PV makes enough power for 0.1 C ... that might harm battery life. Maybe a timer to keep PV panel disconnected until late morning in order to have a higher charge rate?

Or easier (AC timer not DC), connect a load that will partially drain the battery around 10:00 AM once every week or two, then let it recharge more rapidly?

Study what Trojan says about best care and feeding.

2.5 kWh/day is about 2.5 hours production from the four panels. That leaves 3 hours (around summer time) of unused production. Probably still covers winter consumption if you're not in Alaska.

Just over 25% DoD if your loads are entirely at night, not much cycling for a deep-cycle battery. If mostly in the day time, batteries just float.
I think the FLA want to see at least 0.1C charge rate as much as possible to keep electrolyte mixed. Floating in the day, discharging only a bit at night, gradually recharging as the sun comes up before PV makes enough power for 0.1 C ... that might harm battery life. Maybe a timer to keep PV panel disconnected until late morning in order to have a higher charge rate?

Or easier (AC timer not DC), connect a load that will partially drain the battery around 10:00 AM once every week or two, then let it recharge more rapidly?

Study what Trojan says about best care and feeding.

Useful info. Thanks. I found a used Morningstar tristar 45a for $200. I’ll probably get that along with another panel. the tristar can be customized according to Trojan‘s specs.

Back