diy solar

diy solar

Using EG4 life power 4 lithium battery with Sungoldpower 6000w-48v TP6048

Jim Burrow

Solar Enthusiast
Got a fast question: I notice that no one chats about the Sungoldpower 6000w-48v TP6048 all-in-one controller/inverter. I bought one about 4 months back, but just now getting to set it up. Although it doesn't require batteries, I want to set it up as off grid as I cannot have grid tie in my town. Does anyone know if the EG4 life power 4 lithium batteries compatible with this controller? And does anyone know of a better battery to run as long as you don't have to be a billionaire to afford to buy it?

Batteries would definitely be compatible, comms likely won't work, you'll need to set to user.
You can use grid as backup...
Cheaper battery would be DIY... Docan has a server rack but shipping will likely kill the deal.
I really need to get around to making a write up on my TP6048...

Attachments

• IMG_20221226_190607__01__01__01.jpg
    IMG_20221226_190607__01__01__01.jpg
    336 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_20221016_142953.jpg
    IMG_20221016_142953.jpg
    252.2 KB · Views: 11
The eg4 should work fine but...

1) you should have 2 in parallel for a 6k inverter.
I should have said at least 2 batteries. The eg4 batteries have a 100A discharge limit and a6k inverter can draw over 120A. Depending on the load pattern, you may need more storage

I should have said at least 2 batteries. The eg4 batteries have a 100A discharge limit and a6k inverter can draw over 120A. Depending on the load pattern, you may need more storage
wow! I didn't know that. I hope I didn't waste my money getting that inverter. Buy the way, I noticed you live in Los Gatos, I'm in Livermore.

wow! I didn't know that. I hope I didn't waste my money getting that inverter. Buy the way, I noticed you live in Los Gatos, I'm in Livermore.
My analysis is not specific to a particular inverter. *Any* 6k inverter will need a current source of at least 125A

My analysis is not specific to a particular inverter. *Any* 6k inverter will need a current source of at least 125A
Thanks, although I don't like to spend more money than I need too, If I need two or more batteries, so be it. - I just hate putting out $3000 on two batteries.

TIME!!
I can't speak for Jim, but I would LOVE to build my own battery bank.
In fact, I know I would enjoy a nice quite weekend just building battery banks =]

Exactly! Everyone has different value sets.... and time vs money is a value set that will vary significantly from one person to the next. A retired person with a lot of time and a fixed income might look at this differently than someone with 3 kids and a busy carrier.

As the price of prebuilt batteries comes down, there will be more and more people whose time vs money calculation will flip to buy.

You also point out another factor that will vary from one person to the next: The joy (or not) of building DIY. Some people will lean toward DIY batteries because it is fun. Others are just trying to get a battery and would view building the battery as a chore to be avoided if possible.

So very true..
My job is demanding.
My wife and kids even more demanding lol
Any "free time" I have, usually goes to repairs around the house, or one of the many "projects on my plate" list.
Funny how I keep adding things to that plate, but don't seem to finish anything else on it :unsure:

Oh well... in the mean time, I better get back to ordering more components as the pile of boxes in my garage grows :rolleyes:

Back