diy solar

diy solar

Using latest MinnKota charger with automatic BMS controller on Ghost (also ah capacity suggestion please)

Ok

With exposure to hundreds of contractors and factory reps from four major colors of tools I am comfortable with my statement. Many of the brushless tools are more compact, and most of those have some performance advantages.
However, I just can’t dismiss opinions of users or the comments of reps. Moreover, I don’t take package labeling claiming 60% “better” than unnamed “competitor” tools very seriously.

Brushless motors per watt use the electronic wizardry we love to modulate and optimize power output in the lower power or midrange power outputs. At full power, a brushless motor versus a brush motor are virtually the same power: 768 watts is still 1HP. Thankfully.
What in the heck are you talking about?
Next thing I know you are going to tell me the world is flat.
BLDC motors have much higher torque output per watt of input than brushed permanent magnet motors. They also do not have brushes meaning they can achieve higher rpms and higher efficiency as they are not producing heat from friction. While yes, side by side a 1HP BLDC and Brushed motor are both 1HP, the BLDC motor will still achieve a higher efficiency and have more available torque output.
I am going to stop responding to your madness. You sound like you refuse to believe in facts.

am going to stop responding to your madness. You sound like you refuse to believe in facts.
Ok

The facts are what I stated.
Brushless hand tools make more torque in the low and middle ranges with technology, manipulation of volts/amps.
Ignoring the nearly insignificant brush friction- brushless to traditional, the power at full on is basically equal watt-for-watt and with the same gearing.

Ask an engineer; you just can’t get more power without more watts at max. That’s the facts! If you enjoy the silent operation and low/intermediate performance of brushless by all means do it! Brushless tools work great at full throttle- gearing, voltage, and larger rotating diameter of the motor for the same case size can make beast of a tool.

This thread was about trolling motors that merely need to drive a propeller. RPM and prop design are the major factors. I merely mentioned that buying a top name trolling motor in a brush design isn’t that worrisome.
The design has been working well for years.

Ok

The facts are what I stated.
Brushless hand tools make more torque in the low and middle ranges with technology, manipulation of volts/amps.
Ignoring the nearly insignificant brush friction- brushless to traditional, the power at full on is basically equal watt-for-watt and with the same gearing.

Ask an engineer; you just can’t get more power without more watts at max. That’s the facts! If you enjoy the silent operation and low/intermediate performance of brushless by all means do it! Brushless tools work great at full throttle- gearing, voltage, and larger rotating diameter of the motor for the same case size can make beast of a tool.

This thread was about trolling motors that merely need to drive a propeller. RPM and prop design are the major factors. I merely mentioned that buying a top name trolling motor in a brush design isn’t that worrisome.
The design has been working well for years.
I am an electrical engineer.
This is simple math. If a motor is less efficient it requires more input to create an output.
To create 768W Output
Brushless motor at 95% Efficiency requires 808Watts input.
Brushed Motor at 70% Efficiency requires 1097Watts of input

I am going from 80 lbs. of thrust to 96 lbs. of thrust (+20%) with a brushless Lowrance motor plus the efficiencies. I believe that Garmin claims to have the most efficient motor out there yet don't have the specs.

Not impressed so far with Chins delivery promises. My four batteries ordered Monday and having a "label created" are still showing no go according to UPS tracking. Hard to leave a "favorable review" when a company is already one down and at least two behind to make this even possible.
Too many other choices as many have mentioned.

Update:
Three of the four (200ah) just escaped California. Two of the three got separated from the third and are now delayed (typical UPS bungling). The 100ah is still being held hostage who knows where. Promise was 3-5 working days (max) for delivery. None will be here on time and the 4th still has a cross continental journey..whenever.
Not a good start.

I believe we are all in the same boat. Matthew 24
Amen my brother in Christ.
Off-topic but here are three unsolicited suggestions if you aren't there already ('approachable faith' I would call it):
#1. The Unashamed podcast with Phil, Al and Jase Robertson.
#2. WFR (Whites Ferry Road) Sunday sermons with two retired good 'ol boy southern gentlemen: Al Robertson and Mike Kellett.
#3. any sermon connected with the two above or otherwise involving retired Okie firefighter, now Muslim missionary under constant threat of death in Athens , Larry Bowles (his "Truth About Sin" sermon is especially powerful in the last 7-8 minutes; must have watched it a dozen times for inspiration). I especially like the shot of the 4 'average guy' elders standing there at the end just waiting to fight as we all should for our fellow man in need:

Last edited:
Last (12V; 100ah) battery left California via UPS at 10:05 EST last night.
I had some Ram mounts for this project suffer the same fate:
"..Oh yes, we will 'guaranteed' ship these out today from the same warehouse nearest to you.." (the three mounts were then shipped from three different locations scattered across the country when they pretty much felt like it).

diy solar

diy solar
Back