diy solar

diy solar

UTILIZING GRID TIE INVERTER OFF GRID - $100 REWARD FOR SOLUTION

Get the LA batteries fully charged. They can deliver some 400 ~ 700 cranking amps (which is at a rather low voltage.)
5kW/50V = 100A, not much for a car battery.
Review low battery settings.
Did it display a reason for cutout?
Does it have a time delay for low battery? I'd want to let it drop to around 32V for a few seconds, to supply starting surge. After that have a suitable while-load voltage. (but with light or no load, Low-voltage disconnect would ideally be around 85% SoC)

The four 12V batteries should be brought to same state of charge, same voltage.
Charging in series, the lower ones will remain low. Once "charged" you should charge individually with 12V charger. Then settle under no-load. After half a day or a day, see if same voltage, and if any get low. If low, charge again, possibly equalize charge.

Does it have a time delay for low battery?
I have not found anything to set this specifically or what the time is but there is one.
I am basing that claim on mine not immediately flipping to grid if I'm at a low SOC and voltage sags below my cutoff voltage when my well pump kicks on.

Get the LA batteries fully charged. They can deliver some 400 ~ 700 cranking amps (which is at a rather low voltage.)
5kW/50V = 100A, not much for a car battery.
Review low battery settings.
Did it display a reason for cutout?
Does it have a time delay for low battery? I'd want to let it drop to around 32V for a few seconds, to supply starting surge. After that have a suitable while-load voltage. (but with light or no load, Low-voltage disconnect would ideally be around 85% SoC)

"5kW/50V=100A, not much for a car battery."

How I am understanding this statement: A 5 kilowatt draw (starting a motor) in a 48V setup, would draw around 100 Amps from each battery

Meaning my setup might be able to supply 5kW to start compressors, saws, etc

correct me if I'm wrong

The four 12V batteries should be brought to same state of charge, same voltage.
Charging in series, the lower ones will remain low. Once "charged" you should charge individually with 12V charger. Then settle under no-load. After half a day or a day, see if same voltage, and if any get low. If low, charge again, possibly equalize charge.

Can I connect all the batteries I want charged in parallel and leave them at 12V, then connect that to the prius 12V system, will they charge equally or

Do i need to charge each one on the 12V system separately?

I used 1awg marine rated, I still think it's undersized a bit.... I've had zero issues.

Do you think 0 gauge terminals would work on this unit?

I'm fixing to get massive terminals and increase the wire 3 fold in the 48 volt system, then give it another shot

"5kW/50V=100A, not much for a car battery."

How I am understanding this statement: A 5 kilowatt draw (starting a motor) in a 48V setup, would draw around 100 Amps from each battery

Meaning my setup might be able to supply 5kW to start compressors, saws, etc

correct me if I'm wrong

Yes, if inverter can do 5kW starting surge, that's only 100A draw from battery which should be easy if batteries charged.
Startup surge of induction motors is about 5x nameplate current. I'm not sure about skillsaw, but maybe similar. So could be 7.5kW?
An NTC thermistor might reduce that surge. Should work well for brush-type motors since they can start and run on reduced voltage (unlike induction motors.)

Can I connect all the batteries I want charged in parallel and leave them at 12V, then connect that to the prius 12V system, will they charge equally or

Yes, you can charge them in parallel.
Best to wire in a fashion where all batteries see identical resistance, but not critical for balancing.
You can wire in parallel and apply 12V charger to diagonally opposite corners.

Then separate and see if they settle to same or different voltages. Automotive batteries, they look like FLA so you probably can add distilled water as required for equalization charge if needed.

Yes, you can charge them in parallel.
Best to wire in a fashion where all batteries see identical resistance, but not critical for balancing.
You can wire in parallel and apply 12V charger to diagonally opposite corners.

Then separate and see if they settle to same or different voltages. Automotive batteries, they look like FLA so you probably can add distilled water as required for equalization charge if needed.

The Prius is expecting AGM batteries on the 12v system. Do we think using FLA on it would cause a problem?

Do you think 0 gauge terminals would work on this unit?

I'm fixing to get massive terminals and increase the wire 3 fold in the 48 volt system, then give it another shot
They should fit with enough space for comfort in between + -
Don't quote me on it but iirc you want an M6 ring for the inverter side of it. I can see if I still have the bag they came in when I get home.

They should fit with enough space for comfort in between + -
Don't quote me on it but iirc you want an M6 ring for the inverter side of it. I can see if I still have the bag they came in when I get home.

Yes I do see that I can fit a big terminal

I was able to get a great deal on 2 gauge wire but it is aluminum

Today, I should be able to wire the system with 2 gauge aluminum, and I'll try to get 4 more batteries

And we can give it another test

All in all however, I am amazed that it works and has been on for few days now, I have not put massive load on it, just running a fridge and some lights

612 posts to get from grid-tie inverter to hybrid fed by Prius and powering a Skillsaw.

Measure lead-acid battery voltage, see how well it floats, give starting surge, gets recharged.
See how many watts come from Prius HV battery.

I like the idea of lead-acid for "starting" purposes, and lithium providing the cycling. I would like to do the same. Keeping lead-acid at float gives long life.

Because my system is AC coupled, I could connect lithium to PV input of GT PV inverter that does frequency-watts. That would ramp down output as frequency increases.
The trick to make system complete is ramping up charging of the lithium battery as frequency increases further. That should reach maximum charge rate at a frequency lower than where other GT PV inverters, which actually have PV attached, start to curtail.

I wonder if Sunny Boy Storage can do that. Haven't figured it out from documentation. It is Rule 21, but the charging control isn't clear. I think it normally is controlled based on time of day and CT for zero/limited export.

I'm honestly still in shock that it ran that 15 amp skillsaw

whoever was first to tell me to get this inverter, will get the prize

I can send using cashapp, venmo, or paypal

Now would be a good time to review battery charge/discharge settings in the inverter and adjust them to get best battery life.
(rather than after performance degrades.)
Ok once I get back to it I’ll sit down and try to figure it out

The property is off grid

using a Prius as a generator to power an off grid tiny home

Inverter being used: Aurora PVI6000

Prius traction battery voltage: 220 DC

Ran wire from Prius to pvi6000

Inverter turned on and said "Missing Grid"

This is grid tie inverter and needs to be connected to grid for it to pump extra electricity to

How can I utilize the capability of this inverter to take the high voltage direct current and turn it into 240AC?

My idea: get battery bank and turn it into 240AC, plug that into the grid tie inverter, and it will think it has a grid, and any excess electricity will be stored in those batteries

Concern: will the grid tie inverter keep pumping electricity and explode those batteries, or is it smart enough to sense that the grid is "full" and cannot take any more

Will this solve the problem of using grid tie inverter in off grid situation?

$100 reward paid electronically for a solution
150 volt High voltage can only be sent through a mppt60
Up to 600 volt into a mppt80 or mppt100
Never more than 60 volts into an XW6848

Back