diy solar

diy solar

Valence not supported by Victron

Alex412

I'm a newbie trying to put together my first system. I bought 8 - 138ah u27-12xp batteries, and have a LV BMS on the way. I was planning on buying a victron multiplus 3000va until I read " Valence cells are not supported by Victron and therefore do not have established values in their monitoring system".... Any recommendations on an inverter, or can this be fixed through the software? Looking for high end quality parts over budget parts. - Thanks a ton - Alex

@Alex412, I have numerous customers who are using Valence cells with MultiPlus units; as @somewhereinusa said, just make sure to set your parameters appropriately to your bank in the MultiPlus software. To do this, you will need the MK3 USB Interface, as this is how you'll connect your MultiPlus to your computer to dial in your charge voltages and currents, etc.

The "not supported by Victron" simply means that, if you end up experiencing a problem in your system and you call your Victron dealer for assistance, there's going to be a limited amount of troubleshooting the dealer can help you with because the batteries haven't been tested or established to work with Victron components. A lot of MultiPlus misbehavior can be attributed to poor battery performance or connection (the MultiPlus is a DC device, after all) so having a used, unsuppported battery bank is unhelpful when one of your Victron components is misbehaving, because your dealer cannot rule out the batteries as being the source of the problem.

That being said, so long as the MultiPlus is connected correctly and programmed appropriately to the system, you're unlikely to run into issues with it.

I have another question that came up, and I don't think I understand... Is the inverter responsible for High and low voltage cut off? Would throwing in a fuse and/or relay be all the protection I need? I'm having my BMS programmed and was asked "Does your system have high and low voltage cutout already?" ... I don't have a system yet at all. haha.

@Alex412 yes and no... there are high/low voltage disconnect settings in the MultiPlus, but they do not replace the HV/LV settings of your BMS. Your BMS must be programmed/equipped to handle HV/LV events all by itself.

Also, you absolutely must fuse all wiring; the MultiPlus 12/3kVA wiring should have a 400A ANL fuse installed at the battery, and all other cabling also needs to be fused appropriately. This is for protecting your cables, not the devices themselves.

I strongly encourage you to consult a qualified and experienced DC systems installer for assistance with your project, as this is a complex high-current system that can go terribly awry if not installed, connected, fused, and programmed properly.

Back