diy solar

diy solar

Valence U27-12XP 12 volt 138Ah

St. Louis, MO
Then I believe eBay may be your best option. I would also do some online research into local EV shops, since they tend to have extraneous supplies of these Valence batteries, harvested from old electric delivery vans.

Just bought 2 of these batteries and now starting to think I bit of too much to chew!

Im trying to figure out how I can safely run these in my van. I bought the connectors to see them on my computer. A battery protect will take care of HV/LV put what do I do about being in High/Low temperatures?

Just bought 2 of these batteries and now starting to think I bit of too much to chew!

Im trying to figure out how I can safely run these in my van. I bought the connectors to see them on my computer. A battery protect will take care of HV/LV put what do I do about being in High/Low temperatures?

I planned on handling this with the charger/inverter...now looking at the Samlex, and it has an rj-45 jack for the included temperature sensor, but I haven't gotten far enough yet to see how programmable it is.

BTW, re-reading the section describing the temp sensor, Samlex manual says this: "Charging voltages of Lithium Ion Battery are not affected by temperature and hence, Battery Temperature Sensor Model EVO-BCTS is NOT required to be used when Lithium Ion batteries are used. The RJ-45 Jack (6, Fig 2.1) can be used to feed control signals from certain Lithium Ion Battery Management Systems (BMS) that may have capability of enabling / disabling “Stop Charging” or “Stop Inverting” control signals for inverter chargers."

Maybe that's why I haven't gotten to section 5.5 yet.

Last edited:
I planned on handling this with the charger/inverter...now looking at the Samlex, and it has an rj-45 jack for the included temperature sensor, but I haven't gotten far enough yet to see how programmable it is.

BTW, re-reading the section describing the temp sensor, Samlex manual says this: "Charging voltages of Lithium Ion Battery are not affected by temperature and hence, Battery Temperature Sensor Model EVO-BCTS is NOT required to be used when Lithium Ion batteries are used. The RJ-45 Jack (6, Fig 2.1) can be used to feed control signals from certain Lithium Ion Battery Management Systems (BMS) that may have capability of enabling / disabling “Stop Charging” or “Stop Inverting” control signals for inverter chargers."

Maybe that's why I haven't gotten to section 5.5 yet.

The key phrase with the Samlex is the charging OR inverting. I was seriously considering it til I discovered you can only do one or the other .... not both.

That’s interesting on the temperature charging lithium because thats my main worry with using them in a travel van.

The key phrase with the Samlex is the charging OR inverting. I was seriously considering it til I discovered you can only do one or the other .... not both.

Huh, did not realize that. What would be the purpose of that?

Huh, did not realize that. What would be the purpose of that?
I overlooked that for quite a while but when I was trying to figure out the wiring details I couldn't see how to do both .... sent them an email and they verified it.
They did say they are "working" on being able to do both.

I overlooked that for quite a while but when I was trying to figure out the wiring details I couldn't see how to do both .... sent them an email and they verified it.
They did say they are "working" on being able to do both.
Damn. Guess I can stop reading their voluminous manual...they spent a fortune writing that thing, I felt like I was near earning a phd.

The epever mppt that Will recommends has the temperature sensor, but is it just for telling you on the monitor or does it actually adjust or disconnect if it gets to cold or hot?

The epever mppt that Will recommends has the temperature sensor, but is it just for telling you on the monitor or does it actually adjust or disconnect if it gets to cold or hot?

The AN model says this: "Battery Overheating The controller can detect the battery temperature through an external temperature sensor. The controller stops working when its temperature exceeds 65 °C and begins working when its temperature is below 55 °C. Lithium Battery Low Temperature When the temperature detected by the optional temperature sensor is lower than the Low Temperature Protection Threshold(LTPT), the controller will stop charging and discharging automatically. When the detected temperature is higher than the LTPT, the controller will be working automatically (The LTPT is 0 °C by default and can be set within the range of 10 ~ -40 °C)."

and the BN manual states: " Battery Overheating The controller detect the battery temperature through the external temperature sensor. If the battery temperature exceeds 65ºC, the controller will automatically start the overheating protection to stop working and recover below 50 ºC."

I am trying to understand this. So you are saying when the inverter is connected to the grid it will not charge the batteries and supply AC power at the same time? Not doubting you, nor what Samlex told you. I find this extremely odd considering this is supposed to be a premier inverter.

Damn. Guess I can stop reading their voluminous manual...they spent a fortune writing that thing, I felt like I was near earning a phd.
I did really like the Samlex .... but decided I am just going to go with separate controller for charge and inverter.

I am trying to understand this. So you are saying when the inverter is connected to the grid it will not charge the batteries and supply AC power at the same time? Not doubting you, nor what Samlex told you. I find this extremely odd considering this is supposed to be a premier inverter.
No .... we are talking about being able to wire remote control via the temp sensor port.

Back