diy solar

diy solar

Very good quality butt connectors needed

Bluedog225

Texas
I’m about to buy a bunch of butt connectors. The plan is to do away with all the MC4 connectors.

I hear good things about the reliability and consistency of 3M products.

Solid (no seam)
Copper
Tin plated
Heat shrink

I’m specifically looking for these. But the 3M site only takes me to Zoro to buy 250 of them for about a buck a piece. And Amazon is no help. Google shopping takes me to some weird places.

I would think these would be readily available but it doesn’t seem so. Any thought on where to source these appreciated. Or reliable other alternatives.

Maybe I’m missing something.

Thanks

IMG_0110.jpeg

I use digi-key to browse for connectors, I don't think they really sell low quality stuff, so you can just filter for copper.

TE, 3M, Panduit, and Molex are all good names, but I don't specifically have enough experience to say which is the best.

Mouser is the other site that's likely to sell them by the piece.

I’d be more likely to use non insulated connector and a high quality adhesive lined UV resident (black?) heat shrink. No worries about damaging the insulation when crimping

Thanks. I must be doing something wrong on digikey. I’m not even finding butt connectors. I see every other thing in the world.

Don’t know what I’m doing wrong. But I see the ones linked. I’ll dig around.

Thanks!

I hear good things about the reliability and consistency of 3M products.

Funnily enough I was just reading about 3m , usually great products, very unethical company

They recently got in big trouble for providing duff ear defenders to the US military (at an extortionate price I might add) apparently leading hearing issues in many soldier

That’s an interesting search function on the website. Takes a little getting used to.

Thanks for the help. Got 100 ordered. Should keep me for a while.

And because I can’t help myself, will probably heat shrink another layer with this stuff.

At any rate, low quality connectors will likely be far superior to MC4. FYI, in a pinch, you can put some silicon inside the connector before you make the crimp to get your water tight seal. Dab around the outside to make good contact. Make sure its all clean first. I've done it multiple times with trailer wiring, works great for many years and its cheaper then heat shrink. Likely its a better seal too!

Or as we use to say, just put some "Room Temperature Vulcanizing" on it.

Last edited:
Great excuse to buy a cordless heat gun while you're on a spending spree ?

Good info in this thread. Bookmark ☑

That’s an interesting search function on the website. Takes a little getting used to.

Thanks for the help. Got 100 ordered. Should keep me for a while.

And because I can’t help myself, will probably heat shrink another layer with this stuff.

I like this clear adhesive lined heat shrink and their un-insulated connectors about 10 cents each. ; https://www.delcity.net/store/Clear-Heat-Shrink-Tubing/p_326.h_76221

I use open barrel crimp joiners and UV stabilised adhesive lined heat shrink.

Proven reliability in the automotive field, cheap and bulletproof. I think the 3m joiners will be OK, I just can’t see any advantages over what I use.

Attachments

• IMG_0230.jpeg
    IMG_0230.jpeg
    77.1 KB · Views: 5
Back