diy solar

diy solar

Victron All-in-one: "Inverter RS 48/6000 230V Smart Solar"

Something interesting about this inverter:

"The maximum AC output power can increase to up to a peak 9000W or 50A AC, when sufficient PV power is also available to support the battery supply."

(from the manual)

I don't believe the other Victron inverter / MPPT combo units do this?

I selected my dual 5K/48 Quattros for that reason... got a wicked deal
Do you mind sharing where you got that wicked deal.... I might be going that same direction exactly. Also, is your set up part of a post here.... I would like to study it.
thanking you for your hard work helping us all

Although I plan to use 240v input and output it is nice to know that I can feed it with a 120v generator and it will output 240v into my critical loads panel if my solar/battery power is insufficient.
Mr. Ham.... I am confused by this.... and it is relevant to me because if I go this way my problem is that I have a 120 volt single phase 5.5kW generator which I want to eventually replace with batteries alone charged by solar and alternator .... but until that is done (say a year) I want to keep my generator. I thought this way because I couldn't figure out how to use my 120 volt generator to power the 120 volt loads which weren't battery friendly. I am missing some easy point. Please explain to me at lower level as I would love to not be forced to ditch my generator until I was ready.
Thank you very much...

Those quoted comments were specific to a Schneider CSW 4048 inverter which has a built-in autotransformer that allows the use case I was describing. With that equipment, I can use a 120v generator to drive 120v or 240v loads.

In general, people do exactly as you describe without issue and that is even easier than the 120v/240v CSW 4048. I see no reason you would have to ditch your generator. Driving 120v loads from a 120v generator is a simpler task.

List your specific equipment and you will likely get replies to confirm. A new thread with your use case might be best to get your specific situation addressed.

Joe

Hi guys,

Looking into this unit as well for new off-grid system in Italy. Found some recent firmware updates and statements from Victron:

UPDATE 2023-5-26: fw v1.12, that adds parallel and three phase capability for the Inverter RS (not yet Multi RS) was released last week. Includes parallel redundancy. For now see changelog; and in a few days we’ll announce on https://professional.victronenergy.com/news/ as well. Next up is three phase for Multi RS, which is expected to take take a while.

Scanning through that thread I also see more support for US users is coming (although it has been taking longer than planned):

being able to operate the Inverter RS in parallel, split- and three-phase it will happen some day. Using the VE.Can comms port.
It might be in 2022 or maybe in 2023. Its clearly something we want and are working on.

Scanning through tech specs for Multi RS Solar (hybrid) Parallell and 3-phase operation is indeed NOT yet supported
BUT: It is supported for the product of this thread, Inverter RS Smart Solar (off-grid).

I'm still a beginner and would like to learn more about this model, and try to find all the components to go with this system. Grateful for any help and suggestions of recommended/required components to go with it!

- Will it integrate well with seplos EVE cells and BMS. Something like Apexium DIY Kits or Seplos mason kit?
- I feel like 4kW of PV input is a little low. I guess the "6000" is referring to the inverter.. I'm wondering if I have to parallell with the same unit, or if it would be possible to combine it with a pure charge controller like SmartSolar MPPT RS if I only need more input? Do you think the Input/Output spec seems balanced on this unit? Comparing to growatt SPF5000ES they instead offer 6kW input and 5kW output. I think I would have preferred that..
- I'm confused about the optional PV array in the picture mentioned earlier (below). I don't understand what this is intended for or how to use it.
@mrdavvv mentions: "If your loads are mostly during the night, or you are not connected to the grid, probably the separate MPPT chargers would be better." So I should just add another unit to add more PV input instead of using this feature?
In the instruction manual of the RS 48/6000 230V I found this picture:
View attachment 28279

Either way, after comparing options of buying separate Victron modules, this unit still seems to offer clear value for off-grid at 2250€.
- A separate charge-controller MPPT RS 450|100 would cost ca 1200€ (with 5.7kW max PV input though, 2x 3kW tracks?)
- A MultiPlus-II Inverter/Charger (5000W so 1000W less) seems to cost around 1800€.
- So tot ca 3000€ for similar performance modular.

Are there any other benefits/spec details to consider in this unit compared to other products?

Thank you for you time!

Last edited:
Back