diy solar

diy solar

Victron Battery Protect and Inverters

Deleted-User

As pointed out quite a few times, a Victron Battery Protect should not be 'directly' connected to an Inverter. The manual indicates one can attach the BP to the 'remote' switch (if you're inverter has one, that is) to do the deed when your battery(s) get to your preset LVD. Has anyone done this, specifically using the Victron Battery Protect? Seems logical and safe, so any reassurances welcome.

I think all the 12v inverters 1200w above have built-in Bluetooth. My inverter needs the additional dongle which is ~ 50% extra cost for a one time setting. I'm only trying to set up my inverter and SBP as described in the Victron manual. It clearly states that the SBP can remotely control the inverter, but it doesn't. I've asked Victron to either fix this issue or change their manual. They said they were working on it and said they would get back to me the following week. That was a month or so ago!

I think all the 12v inverters 1200w above have built-in Bluetooth. My inverter needs the additional dongle which is ~ 50% extra cost for a one time setting. I'm only trying to set up my inverter and SBP as described in the Victron manual. It clearly states that the SBP can remotely control the inverter, but it doesn't. I've asked Victron to either fix this issue or change their manual. They said they were working on it and said they would get back to me the following week. That was a month or so ago!

What setting are you trying to configure? Low voltage cutoff?

Damn, that's no good. I didn't realize there was no way to configure the inverter without the bluetooth dongle.

Its also disheartening to hear Victron support dropped the ball.

Yes, just the lvc. You cannot change any setting without a Ve. Direct connection. I've since sent another message to Victron, but no reply.

Yes, just the lvc. You cannot change any setting without a Ve. Direct connection. I've since sent another message to Victron, but no reply.
I was under the impression you could use Victron Connect...

I just signed up to follow this thread. I have exactly the same issue, and setting a lvc in the inverter will not work for me as I am trying to use my BP as a battery cut off with a remote switch, not just for low voltage scenarios.

I also get 1.6v out on my 12/100 BP when it is turned off, which is enough to trigger the inverter. I have seen reference to using a resistor to ground the BP out, but this is a hack to fix what Victron advertise as a function.

How did you contact Victron? Is there a ticket or reference number I can quote if I also contact them?

I went through my Victron reseller who contacted Victron for me and requested a response to that thread. This was 3 weeks ago.

Why does Victron have such a good reputation? This is my first experience with them and it is very poor.

I went through my Victron reseller who contacted Victron for me and requested a response to that thread. This was 3 weeks ago.

Why does Victron have such a good reputation? This is my first experience with them and it is very poor.
Interestingly, they consider themselves a manufacturer and wholesale distributor, not responsible to the final consumer. They build quality products generally, but the battery protect really isn't up to snuff and mine, like others have reported, leaks current when it is supposed to be shut off. If they could produce the quality of documentation of Samlex, they would be completely on top of the game...but they can't, or don't and seem quite shizophrenic (sp) in that regard. I am sorry I did not pay more and get the Samlex battery protect.

Reactions: Dzl
Interestingly, they consider themselves a manufacturer and wholesale distributor, not responsible to the final consumer. They build quality products generally, but the battery protect really isn't up to snuff and mine, like others have reported, leaks current when it is supposed to be shut off. If they could produce the quality of documentation of Samlex, they would be completely on top of the game...but they can't, or don't and seem quite shizophrenic (sp) in that regard. I am sorry I did not pay more and get the Samlex battery protect.
If Victron were to step up their documentation and support to the level of some of the other top tier companies, or if one of the top tier companies could approach Victron's level of integration between devices, modern convenient features, and userfriendliness (this admittedly varies device to device) we would have a clear reigning champion. As it stands right now, there are a lot of good choices, but all have trade-offs.

Back