diy solar

diy solar

Victron firmware update question. How is it done?

Bud Martin

Solar Wizard
I have a question about Victron Smart SCC with Bluetooth, I do not have one yet. I have watch many videos about what you need to do after installing the SCC, it will ask you to update the firmware first.
I have Android phone with Bluetooth but no WiFi, so when I connected to Victron with Bluetooth, will Victron download the new firmware through my cell phone network or I need to have my phone connected to WiFi some how for it to be able to update the FW. What happen during updating if my cell phone signal gets interrupted? Thanks for the help.
Notes: English is my second language so I hope you understand my questions.

I have a question about Victron Smart SCC with Bluetooth, I do not have one yet. I have watch many videos about what you need to do after installing the SCC, it will ask you to update the firmware first.
I have Android phone with Bluetooth but no WiFi, so when I connected to Victron with Bluetooth, will Victron download the new firmware through my cell phone network or I need to have my phone connected to WiFi some how for it to be able to update the FW. What happen during updating if my cell phone signal gets interrupted? Thanks for the help.
Notes: English is my second language so I hope you understand my questions.

My answer was wrong. Deleted so no one gets confused.

Last edited:
VictronConnect will use WiFi or cell signal.

When it connects to a device, it checks for updated firmware over wifi or cell signal.

If firmware is available, it will download the firmware.

Once the firmware is fully downloaded, it will update the device over bluetooth.
Thanks! so I do not need to have WiFi, just good cell signal will be fine.

It would more than likely use your phones data 4g 5g capabilities to download.
That’s basically your phones Wi-Fi.

The Victron Connect app holds the latest software. That is the last time you installed/updated the app.

To update the smart SCC you only need the Bluetooth connection between your phone and SCC.
No internet access (cell or WiFi) is required during the update.

See the Victron manual

Last edited:
The Victron Connect app holds the latest software. That is the last time you installed/updated the app.

To update the smart SCC you only need the Bluetooth connection between your phone and SCC.

See the Victron manual
Thank you so much for the link, it sure answers my question.

See the Victron manual

This is the correct answer. I can apply an update to my Victron components with all WiFi and Data connections turned off and only Bluetooth turned on.

As long as Wi-Fi and/or data has already updated the app. ? The app communicates to the mppt via Bluetooth to up date after it obtains said update over your Wi-Fi.

Last edited:
The app doesn’t update or itself solely thru Bluetooth making updates available . That would take some incredibly amazing long distance Bluetooth capabilities. ?

Last edited:
Speaking of updates, the VictronConnect app on my phone got updated today. So I'll probably be applying firmware updates to my equipment soon.

Back