diy solar

diy solar

Victron Firmware Update Restores Function To Defunct Phoenix 24 1200 Inverter!

KITROBASKIN

Solar Enthusiast
Before knowing diysolarforum existed, I purchased a used Headway 38120 pack from Battery Hookup that turned out to have mostly failing cells (about 1/3 ended up working after continued use) and put a Phoenix inverter downstream, where the Victron had to deal with several low voltage disconnects. At a certain point, the inverter started blinking red and green alternating. No inverting after that. Total failure.

Battery Hookup was completely appropriate with me, and NAZ Solar represented Victron with diligence and fairness. After much communication and 'on the phone' testing, NAZ Solar sent me a new 24 1200 Phoenix (told me to not return the faulty product). It has worked flawlessly since November 2022.

This thread is where I brought this up (and justifiably got admonished for the seat-of-the-pants methods employed)

Post #8

Year and a half later, a firmware update was made available, and since the behavior of that failed unit seemed kind of twitchy about safety controls (I am not experienced or knowledgable) thought I'd pull the Phoenix out and give it a go. Using the Bluetooth dongle, it accepted the update and began functioning again! Talk about rising from the ashes.

This has inspired purchase of battery and panels. Unfortunately, NAZ Solar does not have what I want, but I will buy a Victron charge controller from them. Our family does not make much money and I am not inclined to pay NAZ some money for this now functioning inverter. Here's hoping readers will see this and give NAZ Solar their business.

This is also another tribute to Victron.

My intent would be to use it as ‘AC in’ for my MP II for any heavier load.

My intent would be to use it as ‘AC in’ for my MP II for any heavier load.
Yes, interesting strategy, could give me a decent boost for an mp2 48/3000 UL, as the 5kva seems to be in endless listing delays.

The complication is then how to use the mp2s internal charger as it's going to be limited by the Pheonixes output limit? Maybe a Quattro would be better, can have the 48/1200 on ac input 1 and then grid on input 2 and use assistants to charge from grid if battery soc hits a low point?

My 24v3k MPII can dial down to 9.5a “charging” from AC which is prob pushing that 1200 phoenix.

Plus some Uber settings would be needed such that AC is only used when XX inverting load is exceeded, then pull more from AC. Ignore AC for everything else.

“NOTE: This inverter is a stand-alone unit. It can NOT be stacked with additional inverters. The only Victron inverters that can be stacked are the VE.BUS models.”b
Are you all talking about something different than “stacking”?
We are talking about using the pheonix as the AC input for a multiplus. Daisy chaining them. Basically the Phoenix carries the base load in pass thru and then the mp2 turns on if the load exceeds what the Phoenix can handle by itself. With Victrons power assist enabled it will boost the AC input with inverter/battery as needed. After x minutes with lower load can set the mp2 to shutoff until next high demand event. You are correct they can't directly be used in parallel but this way idle losses on the mp2 are minimized.

Love my little 24/1200. I like the simplicity and price. I don't want the complexity of any MP features for what I use it for. If they could be stacked or there where larger versions for the same or better price per watt I'd be buying more. The big phoenix inverters that seem to be a stripped down MP are a bit spendy for what they are imo. Price per watt of the 1200va would equal About $820 for a 3000va unit.

Bought mine from NAZ and they were great. I purchase my whole home AIO, batteries, panels from other distributors since they didn't seem to carry them. Hope they are going to start carrying those types of items in decent brands at good prices because I liked working with them when I bought Victron gear for other projects.

diy solar

diy solar
Back