diy solar

diy solar

Victron is Over-priced Eurotrash. Why would anybody buy Victron over an AiO?

I’m really close to purchasing a victron system but having major second thoughts because:

* No arc fault detection
* No ground fault detection
* No integrated RSD system (yes it can be done with programming and hacking external hardware)
* and because of the above, not NEC compliant for installation in the United States.

Am I wrong? I hope so! because the inverter capacity, integrated generator support, communication, and VRM are hard to resist. Tell me where I am wrong or how to include the above features without spending additional thousands of dollars for a compliant system.

I’m really close to purchasing a victron system but having major second thoughts because:

* No arc fault detection
* No integrated RSD system (yes it can be done with programming and hacking external hardware)
* and because of the above, not NEC compliant for installation in the United States.

Am I wrong? I hope so! because the inverter capacity, integrated generator support, communication, and VRM are hard to resist. Tell me where I am wrong or how to include the above features without spending additional thousands of dollars for a compliant system.

You're not wrong. They don't strike me as being in the grid-tied home system market and don't seem interested as such but I certainly don't have my ear to the ground.

Absolutely adore their stuff for off grid and RV installations though.

I don't believe those functions are required for ground mounted panels. But if the inverter itself needs to be UL listed then there's a very limited range of Victron models that are suitable. If you don't need ul listing for inverter could potentially pair a Victron with a midnite Barcelona or hawkes bay 120/90A SCC which does have those functions available as options. But definitely check with your local authority before buying anything.

I have no grid to tie to and wouldnt be seeking an inspection, however I prefer to make as safe and compliant a system as possible.

I don't believe those functions are required for ground mounted panels. But if the inverter itself needs to be UL listed then there's a very limited range of Victron models that are suitable. If you don't need ul listing for inverter could potentially pair a Victron with a midnite Barcelona or hawkes bay 120/90A SCC which does have those functions available as options. But definitely check with your local authority before buying anything.
I think you are correct, though there has been quibbling about the wording in the code in multiple threads.

I have no grid to tie to and wouldnt be seeking an inspection, however I prefer to make as safe and compliant a system as possible.

Is your system going to be part of the dwelling I.E. panels mounted on the roof, equipment inside the house etc?

The Element not only has a carpet-less interior (rubber flooring would make for good safety measures with solar), but they also have split-folding picnic tables and a tailgate. That is definitely the next vehicle I'm going to convert for living.
I had 2 of the Honda Elements, great cars. However, it would be tough to stand up inside an Element unless you are vertically challenged.

equipment in dwelling, groundmount for first array — not sure in the future

Got it. Have you researched 3rd party add-ons that might give the protections you seek?

At that point though, you're probably blowing the budget through the roof.

Got both the sccs going, currently four 300W panels on #1 has some shade right now and then six on #2
20240304_135029.jpg
Screenshot_20240304_131534_Gallery.jpg

Last edited:
Got it. Have you researched 3rd party add-ons that might give the protections you seek?

At that point though, you're probably blowing the budget through the roof.
Midnite makes a DC ground fault breaker at around $100 and then would need a box/mounting.

I can’t find anything for arc fault.

* No arc fault detection

You are 100% correct, because the USA is only a secondary market for them, and even then they focus on RV and marine markets first.
And that’s a great shame, because the modular Victron hardware/software is really quite nice.

ARC fault: My impression is that is a US-only fire code requirement, the rest of the world does not care (please flame away if I am wrong)
Ground Fault: I added some Midnite GFPD breakers, not too pricey
RSD: This is for fire fighters on roofs (rooves?) so they don’t get zapped, not for ground mount (again, flame away if I am wrong)
NEC: I wish they would UL test more of their 120V products. It’s not like the quality isn’t there, it just the paperwork.

Midnite makes a DC ground fault breaker at around $100 and then would need a box/mounting.

I can’t find anything for arc fault.

Maybe look into this link? Looks like a standalone add-on unit that does both arc-fault and ground-fault detection with shutdown control...

I know Midnight Solar charge controllers also had an option for arc fault detection.

EDIT:

I later read the description for this item again and realized it is NOT a standalone unit, but rather an option board made for two of their model CC's. Just thought I'd post this, in effort to not lead anyone astray. That's not to say that it wouldn't be possible to integrate it somehow, but that it may not integrate with a Victron likely or easily.

Last edited:

* No arc fault detection

The Victron MPPT RS450 have ground fault detection:

"3.2. MPPT grounding, detection of PV array insulation faults & Earth fault alarm notification The RS will test for sufficient resistive isolation between PV+ and GND, and PV- and GND."

The Victron MPPT RS450 have ground fault detection:

"3.2. MPPT grounding, detection of PV array insulation faults & Earth fault alarm notification The RS will test for sufficient resistive isolation between PV+ and GND, and PV- and GND."
that is heartening

Maybe look into this link? Looks like a standalone add-on unit that does both arc-fault and ground-fault detection with shutdown control...

I know Midnight Solar charge controllers also had an option for arc fault detection.
ah interesting, i was not aware of this module! i wouldn't know where to begin with adapting it to a victron system, I haven't seen a report from anyone that has accomplished it.

Back