diy solar

diy solar

Victron is Over-priced Eurotrash. Why would anybody buy Victron over an AiO?

I'm sure this has been asked before (maybe even in this thread) but don't recall.. why do their charge controllers put all that blue goop in there making it extremely difficult to repair or even replace the internal fuse?

I'm sure this has been asked before (maybe even in this thread) but don't recall.. why do their charge controllers put all that blue goop in there making it extremely difficult to repair or even replace the internal fuse?

It's potted sand for improved heat transfer making passive cooling far more effective than without it. It's another reason why they're typically warm to the touch...the case is near the same temperature as the components generating the heat.

It's potted sand for improved heat transfer making passive cooling far more effective than without it. It's another reason why they're typically warm to the touch...the case is near the same temperature as the components generating the heat.
Yes threw me off at first I was expecting only the heatsink to get hot but then read that the entire case acts as a heatsink as well. Once I knew it was normal I was good to go.

Current Connected order placed. 24v MPII 3k, Bluetooth dongle, and USB programming cord ordered.

With the price drop this year on the MP, the extra plugs in was free and I still saved a couple $ waiting.

Now Victron will prob oil a Tesla and drop prices again, lol

Now the waiting game.

He also sells the following to assist in the install of the Victron Lynx Adapters

Master Disconnect Mounting Hardware

Price: $4.99

This mounting hardware is used for
the Blue Sea Systems 6006 m-Series Battery Switch
and includes four 3D printed spacers and
four #10 x 3.5-inch panhead screws used to level-mount
the switch when mounted to the Lynx Distributor.

THIS IS USED WITH THE TOP ITEM: Victron Lynx Adapters

and this:

BMV-712 Shunt Mounting Hardware

Price: $1.99

This mounting hardware includes
two #10 x 1-inch panhead screws
and two 3D printed spacers to level mount
the Victron BMV-712 Shunt or
the Victron SmartShunt to the Victron Lynx Distributor.
Note: This is NOT needed for the Lynx Shunt.

He also sells the following to assist in the install of the Victron Lynx Adapters

Master Disconnect Mounting Hardware

Price: $4.99

This mounting hardware is used for
the Blue Sea Systems 6006 m-Series Battery Switch
and includes four 3D printed spacers and
four #10 x 3.5-inch panhead screws used to level-mount
the switch when mounted to the Lynx Distributor.

and this:

BMV-712 Shunt Mounting Hardware

Price: $1.99

This mounting hardware includes
two #10 x 1-inch panhead screws
and two 3D printed spacers to level mount
the Victron BMV-712 Shunt or
the Victron SmartShunt to the Victron Lynx Distributor.
Note: This is NOT needed for the Lynx Shunt.

Thanks, I ended up going a different route than the blue seas switch as I realized its not rated for 58V, went with a midnite 250A 125V breaker, MNEDC250.

Thanks, I ended up going a different route than the blue seas switch as I realized its not rated for 58V, went with a midnite 250A 125V breaker, MNEDC250.
It’s amazing the price rang differs shops get for Midnight gear, I’ve seen 120 or 77 for the unit.

It’s amazing the price rang differs shops get for Midnight gear, I’ve seen 120 or 77 for the unit.

Stellavolta is my go to for midnite breakers

Yeah, for some reason AltE has best prices on Midnite stuff that I've seen. I just ordered a bunch of their surge protectors for only $84 (for 3 or more) each which is even cheaper then what signature solar sells them for.

What’s your preferred source of SCC cabling? I imagine that’s what 10 or 8 awg?
I went overkill with 6 AWG from windy nation, thru Amazon. Biggest that will fit in the 150/35. Random 10 on the left for the PV temporarily. The 10 was working fine at 35A as well but I'm going to connect these to a power in 20240307_091410.jpg

Back