diy solar

diy solar

Victron is Over-priced Eurotrash. Why would anybody buy Victron over an AiO?

While we do have a reasonable concept of long travel distances in Australia, we are however, on average, a highly urbanised country, more so than the USA.
The Outback - bigger in size of our "Midwest" on your image - is a whole lot of not many people. The urbanization is mostly on the coasts.

P.S. I love Australia, and I think every Australian I've met is great.

Going to go the Victron route for my DIY project. Have the 450/200 it just showed up, and am picking up the first of two quattro 10k 120v inverters! Super stoked. Have 48 280ah cells on route! Got the 450/200 for $1350, the Quattro 10k is $2600 and now I just have to find another good deal on another quattro, plus a cerbo, power-in or lynx distributor.... oh yeah, and get some panels, wiring and someone that knows what they are doing to help!

Last edited:
Unless you specifically want the fuse monitoring just get the power in, buy some suitable bolts and now it holds fuses.

Just added another to my system pending some more alterations.
You can connect two power-ins together to make a larger busbar correct? Pretty sure that is what I am looking at in your pic. Nice tip on the fuses. I had heard you could do it, but had no idea it was that simple.

You can connect two power-ins together to make a larger busbar correct?
Yes you can connect multiple units together, I have a busbar on the side of my battery rack, hence the the cables connecting to the end of the shunt, but usually you'd use another power in.

Safety tip: Use T class fuses for each battery, not mega fuses, Victron now do a T class fuse holder, but it uses M10 bolts, not M8, they also do an M10 power in. My T class fuses are on my rack.

1716826428047.png

I'm finally "done" my remote off grid set up and can officially join team blue:

View attachment 217730

With very limited space to mount components, Victron gives you a ton of flexibility. One thing I sort of regret is not going with the 5K Multiplus, because I think I had enough room for it, even if I don't really need it for the loads I need to power. One happy accident was that I ordered the grey Vevor enclosure, but they sent me the orange one -- but the orange matches the Victron orange :LOL:.

Does your MultiPlus II exhibit a loud low frequency hum when charging over 20amps?
Not sure if the issue I am having is from how it is mounted or because another inverter is feeding it.

Does your MultiPlus II exhibit a loud low frequency hum when charging over 20amps?
I don't really know. I had only ever charged it at around 12 amps or so when I was testing the system at my house. At that level it did have a hum and the fan kicked in after awhile. But since setting up the system on site, I'm only charging using solar.

I don't really know. I had only ever charged it at around 12 amps or so when I was testing the system at my house. At that level it did have a hum and the fan kicked in after awhile. But since setting up the system on site, I'm only charging using solar.

Doing a search finds it is a common issue. Thankfully it is mounted in an outdoor shed.

I have a relative involved in refurbishing ambulance and EMS units. Mobile power for these units used to be provided by Onan gasoline generators, but other options are now available. Some of these components may look familiar.

Not sure if the issue I am having is from how it is mounted or because another inverter is feeding it.
My 24/3k has a decent 60hz hum when load is above 1000w. Notice it with a heat gun or the coffee pot. Usually the fans come on after 2 min or so and the fans are typically louder than the hum. I’ve only changed at 15a and noticed the hum as well, the fans also kicked on and drown out the hum.

Thankfully its load 98% of the time will be under 500w and is dead silent.

Spent 4 days at camp, hooked up my 2 170w panels on Friday afternoon. Got just over 1kwhr on Saturday and just under 1kwhr on Sunday, Monday was overcast and rainy. They are south west/west facing as the afternoon weather has been by far the clearest compared to hazy overcast mornings and it was an easy mounting process.

We ran the coffee pot, vacuum, charged various devices, ran the small amount of lights we wanted and still left with over 80% capacity. I couldn’t convince my wife to use her hair drier, but she is wanting a TV vs the iPad.

We’ll be back in a week or two and left the SCC at a very modest 27.4v bulk charging profile, as it’ll take a day or two to get up to 100%.

IMG_3327.png

Been a while without some Blue. Tried to order a euro multiplus 2 5kva from nkon.nl (thinking use with 100a isolation transformer) but it wouldn't calculate shipping.

So ordered one of these to see Cerbo info at a glance, hopefully should work.

Been a while without some Blue. Tried to order a euro multiplus 2 5kva from nkon.nl (thinking use with 100a isolation transformer) but it wouldn't calculate shipping.

So ordered one of these to see Cerbo info at a glance, hopefully should work.

I'll be watching how that turns out. I'm gearing up to do a new build and a screen will be part of it. Heck of a lot less expensive than the Victron Touch50 and bigger too.

I'll be watching how that turns out. I'm gearing up to do a new build and a screen will be part of it. Heck of a lot less expensive than the Victron Touch50 and bigger too.
Working good. I haven't figured out the touch function yet but I hooked up a USB keyboard and navigates perfectly through the screens.

Would recommend.

On lightning sale for $55 after coupon.

20240608_143623.jpg

Last edited:
As I recall, there is a setting on the GX setup menu for the screen timeout. So the GX is somewhat in charge of turning it "off". It's not completely off since the a touch of the screen brings it back "on".

But yeah, it would be good to know if it's a power hog compared to the Victron Touch50.

As I recall, there is a setting on the GX setup menu for the screen timeout. So the GX is somewhat in charge of turning it "off". It's not completely off since the a touch of the screen brings it back "on".

But yeah, it would be good to know if it's a power hog compared to the Victron Touch50.

Just an fyi there's 5 buttons on the right side giving full control of display settings etc like a full size hdmi monitor (brightness/contrast etc), and a physical power button. Not sure what the Victron Touches have. Not waterproof like the Victrons.

I connected the monitor power to the cerbo-s power USB port, whether the screen is on or off the DC idle draw for the Cerbo remains at 5W per VRM (48/1200 turned off for test or there would be another 11-12W of idle load). This is with brightness at 13. No increase at max brightness. So I would say consumption is minimal at best. My clamp meter doesn't have the resolution to pick up any draw on the USB, I guess definitive test would be with one of those USB charger testers.

Screenshot_20240609_045708_VRM.jpg

Back