diy solar

diy solar

Victron Network - Differences with Displayed Voltages / RESET HELP

12vDC

I recently upgraded to 300Ah new lithium batteries and didn't notice a "problem" after. I have just recently added the Smart Sense module to the bank, coincidentally or not, Im noticing voltage differences between the display on the MPPT and the shunt (and the Smart Sense).

Ive never noticed these type of differences before whereby while charging or at full charge the voltages are close but after settling and with no sunlight (no mppt power) the voltage is now routinely 0.5V +/- difference. And it seems the Smart Sense is reading higher voltages. Now Im seeing 12.7V and the like at full rest. To reiterate, the lowest I would ever read from the shunt even after the 10-12 evening hours with no sunlight is 12.9-13.0V (with a full time cooler).

Maybe after doing this and doing that, removing that wire and adding this wire while upgrading the hardware/software it threw some things out of wack, and needs a reset? I could go out and start removing power and unplugging things, but I fear this is what caused the issue the last time.

With a master switch, MRBF's, bus bars, shunt with push-to-connect power lead, bluetooth app with network configuration etc., is there a better way to properly initialize a battery bank with these components?

IMG_4048.PNG
IMG_4049.PNG
IMG_4055.PNG

1st screencap is while charging around noon. Smart Sense voltage = 14.88V
2nd screencap is an hour later at float (not resting). All seems normal.
3rd screencap is early evening with no mppt (bank at rest). There is a 0.5V difference in voltage at the shunt report.

With the system at rest, measure the voltages of each device with a quality digital meter.
With no loads or charging, they should all be the same.

With the system at rest, measure the voltages of each device with a quality digital meter.
With no loads or charging, they should all be the same.
so any time i want to check the status of my batteries i should ignore the app, pull down my battery tray disconnect everything and check the voltages with a meter?

so any time i want to check the status of my batteries i should ignore the app, pull down my battery tray disconnect everything and check the voltages with a meter?
Yes, when you want to troubleshoot the system and get an actual answer. We aren't psychic here. Based on the pictures you posted, we can't conclude anything - and that's why @MisterSandals was suggesting to check at the various points with a meter - to establish whether we can trust the equipment or not.

Yes, when you want to troubleshoot the system and get an actual answer. We aren't psychic here. Based on the pictures you posted, we can't conclude anything - and that's why @MisterSandals was suggesting to check at the various points with a meter - to establish whether we can trust the equipment or not.
Thanks. Not looking for a psychic. But an explanation is always more helpful especially when the response doesnt specifically address or point to the question.

I already checked the voltages.

Thanks. Not looking for a psychic. But an explanation is always more helpful especially when the response doesnt specifically address or point to the question.

I already checked the voltages.
OK, and how did the voltages you read with your Multimeter compare to what the equipment was saying? Did it agree or disagree?

If the meter agrees with the equipment, then you have a problem with your wiring or what's in between the various components. If the meter does not agree with your equipment, then you have a problem with your equipment.

OK, and how did the voltages you read with your Multimeter compare to what the equipment was saying? Did it agree or disagree?

If the meter agrees with the equipment, then you have a problem with your wiring or what's in between the various components.

I found the issue - or at least made a change that has brought the voltage readings to what has not been historically abnormal.

Short answer:
The starter battery voltage monitoring lead was improperly applied.

Long answer:
Removing the starter lead brought the difference from the shunt to other networked modules back consistently to within 0.15V. I use to have a BMV702 and a Sterling DCDC sharing a common ground and monitoring the starter battery. I am now using the isolated DCDC Orion have no common ground between the starter and the aux bank. After moving to a BMV712 and Orion, the starter monitoring still worked, mostly, kinda, but couldn't figure out why not and I left it because it wasn't such an issue. There were no other side effects until recently, adding the Smart Sense, and perhaps only coincidentally unplugging the shunt caused it to remember it doesn't like the starter lead connected anymore (causing the significant difference in monitored voltage).

So I believe I found the issue. I just checked again, and while the voltages are lower the shunt is only different by 0.15V which is much better than the 0.5V as previous. The only difference was removing the starter monitoring lead from the shunt.

Back