diy solar

diy solar

Victron pre-wired panel

Wonder how long this will be on the market before Victrons lawyers get involved with this sticker.

Wonder how long this will be on the market before Victrons lawyers get involved with this sticker.

Not sure what you mean, Victron is bringing this to market.

Manuals and data sheets linked.

Please note, the image show a custom built unit, please see manual for stock configuration

I read that this as a home built solution. Why list pictures of a custom unit that’s been modified?

Please note, the image show a custom built unit, please see manual for stock configuration

I read that this as a home built solution. Why list pictures of a custom unit that’s been modified?

Because there are no production models available yet.

The NAWS picture is a prototype display with all the details on the production model in the supplied Victron documentation on that page.

Victron supplies the pictures in that documentation.

The NAWS prototype picture looks exactly like the Victron picture, with a few breakers added in the provided breaker space.

The installed breakers and some stickers are the only modifications I can see.

Victron picture shown here for comparison :

Last edited:
I've seen these pop up in the solar installs in a couple of off-grid Canadian youtubers. These seem to be made by midnite solar for victron, although they don't list the product on either of their websites. Not sure the market for these, as very few of Victrons products are listed to UL standards needed for use in the US.

as very few of Victrons products are listed to UL standards needed for use in the US.
Sadly... I love their equipment and am happy to pay a premium for it, but may have bought the last of it unless they change course re UL listings. I gotta keep my utility and my insurers happy.

I've seen these pop up in the solar installs in a couple of off-grid Canadian youtubers. These seem to be made by midnite solar for victron, although they don't list the product on either of their websites. Not sure the market for these, as very few of Victrons products are listed to UL standards needed for use in the US.
I was gonna say some of those bus bars looked like midnight Solar. Must be something similar to their other “E panels” they offer for other inverter connections. Plus an extra tax for the blue paint job ?

Because there are no production models available yet.

The NAWS picture is a prototype display with all the details on the production model in the supplied Victron documentation on that page.

Victron supplies the pictures in that documentation.

The NAWS prototype picture looks exactly like the Victron picture, with a few breakers added in the provided breaker space.

The installed breakers and some stickers are the only modifications I can see.

Victron picture shown here for comparison :

Does the included shunt communicate with the Quattro/Multiplus? Can the data be seen via vedirect Bluetooth dongle connected to inverter?

Is it compatible with Quattro 2/multiplus 2?

Thanks.

Does the included shunt communicate with the Quattro/Multiplus? Can the data be seen via vedirect Bluetooth dongle connected to inverter?

Is it compatible with Quattro 2/multiplus 2?

Thanks.
Details on the shunt are in the manual: https://www.victronenergy.com/media/pg/VE.Panel_Installation_and_Service_Manual/en/wiring.html#UUID-e8922ceb-ea41-3594-c744-0b1717fcae68

4.4.5. Shunts​

• The VE Panel comes with a standard 50mV/500amp shunt with current sense module option available.
  • The standard shunt can be replaced with a Victron shunt and must be ordered separately. For example, a Victron Energy 50mV/500A (part number SHU500050100) or the SmartShunt (part number SHU050150050).
  • In a dual VE Panel configuration the supplied shunt will act as a transition point only for the negative follower inverter/charger to battery.
  • When using a battery monitoring shunt in a dual configuration it should be wired as shown in the diagram in Figure 15 using a Battery Combiner Box such as the MidNite Solar MNBCB 1000/50 and using the 1000A/50mV shunt provided or replacing with a Victron Energy shunt for battery State of Charge (SOC).
  • Note in this configuration the supplied shunts in the VE Panels are for transition of the Negative battery cables only.

It is good to see these two companies working together.

That said, it would be interesting to know the behind-the-scenes talk between the marketing folks:

1. Did MIdnite approach Victron wanting to do an E-Panel for Victron the way they have done for other inverter products? Or did Victron contact MIdnite?

2. How was it decided that Victron would sell it as opposed to MIdnite?

3. Is UL in the pipeline? If so, at least technically if the panel is built with the same metal as the other MIdnite E-panels, maybe UL would be easier?

Anyway, we may never know, but at least someone at both companies thinks there is a market for this.

It is good to see these two companies working together.

That said, it would be interesting to know the behind-the-scenes talk between the marketing folks:

1. Did MIdnite approach Victron wanting to do an E-Panel for Victron the way they have done for other inverter products? Or did Victron contact MIdnite?

2. How was it decided that Victron would sell it as opposed to MIdnite?

3. Is UL in the pipeline? If so, at least technically if the panel is built with the same metal as the other MIdnite E-panels, maybe UL would be easier?

Anyway, we may never know, but at least someone at both companies thinks there is a market for this.
UL seems to done for these panels: https://www.victronenergy.com/upload/documents/Certificate-UL-1741-and-CSA-C22.2-VE.Panel.pdf

I would guess Victron would have approached midnite, since these seem to be sold as a Victron product.

That document was issued in 2020. Are these actually new products, or do I misunderstand?

Based on said document, it appears they perhaps went through Midnite's UL pipeline/relationship, as the contacts are all Midnite's.

I wonder if they are all Midnite + Victron shunt (and any other Victron gear therein, using a custom build of a Midnite E-panel enclosure, painted blue. No offense to either company. ?

That document was issued in 2020. Are these actually new products, or do I misunderstand?

Based on said document, it appears they perhaps went through Midnite's UL pipeline/relationship, as the contacts are all Midnite's.

I wonder if they are all Midnite + Victron shunt (and any other Victron gear therein, using a custom build of a Midnite E-panel enclosure, painted blue. No offense to either company. ?
At least according to the manual you get a generic shunt, if you want a Victron shunt you would have to install it yourself.

I wonder why the spd’s aren’t connected to dc minus, and ac neutral?

it seems every time I read a Midnite manual they have different wiring for these things? Sometimes they connect to ac neutral, but always connect to dc plus and minus.

seems pricey but I like the ac by pass.

I wonder why the spd’s aren’t connected to dc minus, and ac neutral?

it seems every time I read a Midnite manual they have different wiring for these things? Sometimes they connect to ac neutral, but always connect to dc plus and minus.

seems pricey but I like the ac by pass.
I think the manual suggests that the batteries would be a better sink for the surge than an spd.

You mean battery BMS?

Big old FLA can ride through a large voltage spikes without blinking, modern BMS for LiFePo probably not so much.

I guess that shows the thinking of victron/midnite.

Back