diy solar

diy solar

Victron Smart Shunt for Capacity Testing?

constantspeed

When it comes to battery capacity testing, I see Will using or listing several odd little gizmos for doing so. I see them on Ebay and Amazon. Why can't I simply use my Victron 500A Smart Shunt with the app to run capacity testing on a battery? Fully charge and zero current calibrate to 100%, reset the history, attach a load, and it should, I think, provide an accurate capacity result. Or what am I missing from the equation?

You can, but you need to have a load that can be adjusted. Normally, a capacity test is done at 0.2C, meaning that if you have a 100Ah battery, you put a 20A load on it, and see how long it takes until the battery reaches 2.5V per cell. This means you need something to draw a constant 20A current, even as the voltage is dropping. In the end, having a curve of this is also nice to have.

If you just want to test a capacity on a pack without keeping the 0.2C in mind or fancy curves, you can do that just fine with a SmartShunt.

You can, but you need to have a load that can be adjusted. Normally, a capacity test is done at 0.2C, meaning that if you have a 100Ah battery, you put a 20A load on it, and see how long it takes until the battery reaches 2.5V per cell. This means you need something to draw a constant 20A current, even as the voltage is dropping. In the end, having a curve of this is also nice to have.

If you just want to test a capacity on a pack without keeping the 0.2C in mind or fancy curves, you can do that just fine with a SmartShunt.
Thank you. That makes sense and would be the ideal method for critical measurement. I tried the Victron shunt (because I already have it), on a 230Ah Li Time, with a 2000w inverter and a space heater, with a total draw of around 145A. When the voltage dropped below the inverter threshold, I let it recover a bit, and then reduced the load, to 62A. I did that a couple of times and was able to get the total discharge measured by the shunt to 228Ah. At this point the battery was still producing, but the voltage was too low for the inverter to be effective. I could still connect lights or other 12v items to the battery without a problem. The battery did not cut out, even after discharging 228Ah. So I am guessing if I wanted to connect a smaller load and eke out the last bit of power, I would have no problem reaching 230Ah or possibly more. So for my purposes---does my battery at least meet the advertised capacity?---I feel confident that it does, with my rather unrefined testing method.

I just did a similar test on my cheap ($220) 100Ah battery with my AiLi shunt. Started with it fully charged, drained with my inverter until is shut down and that was close to the 100Ah capacity. With the capacity meter at zero, I charged at 20A and the shunt counted 99.7A before it floated to zero current. Not the perfect test but for my use, it tells me all I need to know.

I use a similar test for my DIY MotorHome batteries. In my mind, I don’t really care what the “battery” capacity is - I care about what my “system” capacity is.

About once a year after having the batteries full, (in absorbing mode with just a few amps charging), I turn on all the 12v lights (not really much draw there) and put a load on the inverter. I often run the inverter higher at first (baking in the convection microwave), then towards the end of the test the inverter gets ran at about 750w. The first time the inverter shuts down my useable test is over.

My 544ah battery,(eight Lishen 272ah cells in 2p4s) originally had a useable system capacity of 528ah. I used them for 18 months full-time, and did a little rewiring to remove some voltage drop, My second test was 521ah. Since then I did one more wiring change (yes voltage drop from the battery to the inverter is a big issue for me- reusing OEM wiring). We will see what it is next year or so.

Even on the first test having a system of 528ah vs supposed 544ah - that’s 97% - I know I could have ran it longer on just 12v. That’s pretty great!

I use a similar test for my DIY MotorHome batteries. In my mind, I don’t really care what the “battery” capacity is - I care about what my “system” capacity is.

About once a year after having the batteries full, (in absorbing mode with just a few amps charging), I turn on all the 12v lights (not really much draw there) and put a load on the inverter. I often run the inverter higher at first (baking in the convection microwave), then towards the end of the test the inverter gets ran at about 750w. The first time the inverter shuts down my useable test is over.

My 544ah battery,(eight Lishen 272ah cells in 2p4s) originally had a useable system capacity of 528ah. I used them for 18 months full-time, and did a little rewiring to remove some voltage drop, My second test was 521ah. Since then I did one more wiring change (yes voltage drop from the battery to the inverter is a big issue for me- reusing OEM wiring). We will see what it is next year or so.

Even on the first test having a system of 528ah vs supposed 544ah - that’s 97% - I know I could have ran it longer on just 12v. That’s pretty great!
Your method basically matches my theory of "practical" capacity vs. absolute capacity, and why I am only concerned with a rough capacity test to know the battery is in good shape and not faulty or lower grade cells. The inverter is going to cutout from low voltage before the battery reaches its own low voltage cut off, since the inverter will require more voltage than simple small 12v DC loads. What is my capacity to run AC powered items on the inverter vs. capacity to run DC powered loads directly? This is the practical test. For the RV, my AC loads are actually rather short durations, or unnecessary most of the time---morning coffee, maybe a few minutes with the microwave. Rarely use the air conditioning in our area. Beyond that are only DC loads---lights, water pump, refrigerator, etc., which, by comparison sip Ah. Basic DC loads, such as lights, will continue functioning well beyond where the inverter cannot. So if the practical capacity test with an inverter is close, I know I can go well beyond it with basic 12v loads.

The screen grabs from the Victron app of the Smart Shunt reflect a discharge using an inverter and space heater load (145A)... this discharged 216Ah before the inverter cut out. I then attached a fan drawing 6A, until the inverter cut out again, made a tone, and then the tone finally died when the battery did reach low voltage cut off. I had to connect a charger to the battery to bring the Smart Shunt back to life, which is why the screen grab is showing power going in, but the process does reflect a full capacity discharge. Exactly 230Ah, which seems oddly exact and a little too convenient, but it worked!

Attachments

• IMG_3229.PNG
    IMG_3229.PNG
    143.8 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_3228.PNG
    IMG_3228.PNG
    84.2 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
IMO if the inverter is shutting off because of low voltage, to me that’s usable capacity low limit. Maybe 2-400whr left in the battery but I’m never in a situation where I’m that low.

IMO if the inverter is shutting off because of low voltage, to me that’s usable capacity low limit. Maybe 2-400whr left in the battery but I’m never in a situation where I’m that low.
Agreed. The capacity testing is really just to make sure the batteries are good, and will all play nice with each other once wired together into a larger battery bank. If any of them were falling well short or having a problem charging, I would return it/replace it. The testing is to prevent me from finding out the hard way if a battery has an issue.

That and tracking how it’s going through life, just making sure each “test” is similar.

Some people fret over each Whr, or % of Whr lost each year.

Back