diy solar

diy solar

Victron. Want to hire an expert. Around SE.

Are you really going to start without an overall plan?
That generally ends badly.
No hope to find a pro to take off the switch box and wire to inverters and make sure inverters are parallel wired.
And then add any other toys they may think would help.
As far as battery wiring, they can do or pretty sure with schematics I can do.
Everything works well, so I believe getting rid of the transfer switch will significantly improve.
And a pro can look over to make sure I dont get barbequed one night. Lol

Even if someone figures out how to make split phase power with these units I don't see how we get past the objectionable current problem.
I assume it can be done because Victron says the inverters can be used in parallel but its still an open question.
Its a life saftey/fire saftey issue and anyone who handwaves that away is not your buddy.

Last edited:
I have never seen a Class C motorhome with a ATS....Not ever...It does not need to be automatic....nor does it need to be a switch. Every one that I have ever seen has a TT-30 power outlet wired to the generator into which the shore power cord is plugged into, cheap , easy, and fully complies with the code to separate the sources so that the generator cannot back feed to the shore power. This is what is done in 90% or more of motorhomes. This does not exclude the possibility of using a manual or automatic transfer switch.

I would expect that if I had a $500,000 dollar Class A motorhome that it might have a automatic transfer switch so in the case that it is raining cats and dogs I would not have to go outside and disconnect the power cord and plug it into the generator outlet, then start the generator, having an automatic transfer switch is a luxury, it is not required. In fact I have seen factory equipped motorhomes that could in fact start the generator and transfer the power automatically when shore power fails, but this is a luxury, not a requirement.

An acquaintance does if fact have a $300,000 dollar Class A motorhome but it does not have an Automatic transfer switch, that is done in the AC/DC breaker and fuse panel with a manual switch, he then needs to go to the generator control panel and manually start the generator, he can remain connected to shore power but it will not back-feed as this requirement is fulfilled in the AC/DC power control panel which also contains the DC battery charger
I'll have to ask my friend with a Seneca if he has an ATS. I had one in my fifth wheel. It's part of the gen prep package even if a gen isn't installed.

If I paid for a factory installed gen and had to go outside to plug in a shore power cord I'd be back at the dealer to have it done correctly.

Did you find a shop/person to help you make the install correct? Closest person I know to GA is in Gulfport MS

For the bus bars to connect the batteries. One item (there are others too) is look at the Victron Power in. If you have six batteries you would need two of them.

Power disconnect, class T fuse, shunt, and power distribution all need to be added in a good thoughtful manner.

Plan first, then buy and install.

You may want to reach out to your Victron distributor- a lot of time they can help. There are a lot of little items missing in your system that could make it awesome!

There are a lot of little items missing in your system that could make it awesome!
And the safety issues. Between connection of batteries to a fuse box and the transfer switch misunderstandings there’s a lot of issues to assure safety and dependable use.

Multiplus doesn't need to have a VE Bus cable to make it standalone/parallel. There are dip switches inside the cover that can program those options.
Multiplus-dipswitches.jpg

Multiplus doesn't need to have a VE Bus cable to make it standalone/parallel. There are dip switches inside the cover that can program those options.
I would think they need a data link for synchronization?

I thought so too. But a quick scan through Multiplus manual claims it doesn't need to. Although they acknowledge it's much easier with a cable.
I'm guessing that you can configure them for parallel mode using the dip switches but for them but for parralel function they would need synchronization.
@sunshine_eggo is a Victron wiz maybe he some input.

Right and wrong.

DIP switches can be used to program standalone/parallel, but a VE.Bus cable must be connected between parallel units.

Given the low cost of a MK3-USB interface and the robustness of the VEConfigure 3 software, one would be foolish to configure them with DIP switches. Victron no longer provides guidance beyond the manual for parallel configuration via DIP switches.

Right and wrong.

DIP switches can be used to program standalone/parallel, but a VE.Bus cable must be connected between parallel units.

Given the low cost of a MK3-USB interface and the robustness of the VEConfigure 3 software, one would be foolish to configure them with DIP switches. Victron no longer provides guidance beyond the manual for parallel configuration via DIP switches.
Any idea how to get around the issue I identified in this post?

Here is a diagram of the topology.

Any idea how to get around the issue I identified in this post?

Here is a diagram of the topology.

I don't think it's an issue. Wiring Unlimited discusses AC/DC wiring and proper grounding/bonding for GFCI operation.

Chapters

Yes. I think this is reasonably accurate. Guessing the shared neutral happens in the junction box.
More a 2x120V than parallel configuration.
the shared neutral is in the ac distribution panel.

There are only 2 loads on the right leg.
1 is the 2nd air conditioner which I suggest to only run from shore power or generator
2 is the converter which should be disabled to avoid a power loop.

I'm sure Victron has a way to make this safe but I don't know it and can't seem to find it.

diy solar

diy solar
Back