diy solar

diy solar

Victron. Want to hire an expert. Around SE.

the shared neutral is in the ac distribution panel.
I am designing a similar dual Victron inverter/50amp RV setup and have looked at several Victron designs. All have a box before the inverters that combines equal length neutral. Splitting one neutral into two.

A big reason I'm invested in this thread.

Last edited:
Because when you present avoiding something in the code as an impossibility, it's probably not correct.
I don't think I presented it as an impossibility I just don't know how to solve the problem.
I would guess Victron does know how to solve it.

But it doesn't provide split phase power - merely a novel means of dealing with single phase vs. split phase input.
I'm aware.
I think it is fine for the usage model to only use the 2nd air conditioner when the inverter is in bypass mode.
Did you look at the drawing?

Nah. It's a knee-jerk reaction to some of the horrific and illegible diagrams/images that get posted. I feel his pain 100%.
I agree, he is free to do that, but there was no need for that response for the document that you posted, that document can be zoomed in with no special effort or software.
I am new on this forum, so I am reading a lot of posts, and I noticed that he answers like that very often. But, again, everybody is free to deal with incomplete/wrong questions however they want.

Did you find a shop/person to help you make the install correct? Closest person I know to GA is in Gulfport MS
I know how to get to Gulfport.
Bet the guy's name is Justin F.
It's a name i was given by a Victron dealer today; he said he knows his stuff.
Also gave me a name in Jacksonville.
It sounds like the system is excellent but like buying a Ferrari and needing tires.
Need some that can finish adding what it needs.

Last edited:
I know how to get to Gulfport.
Bet the guy's name is Justin F.
It's a name i was given by a Victron dealer today; he said he knows his stuff.
Also gave me a name in Jacksonville.
It sounds like the system is excellent but like buying a Ferrari and needing tires.
Need some that can finish adding what it needs.
That's him. Friend of mine. Panelsupsolar.com

When you are getting the extras - get a Cerbo and touch panel. Having all the information of current current flows and battery condition in one place is great!

Also have him double check that you will not burn out the alternator if you start and run your rig when the batteries are low. You need some way of limiting the current that flows from the alternator to the batteries. There are LOTS of ways to achieve that- you just want to make sure one of the ways was installed into your rig.

smoothJoey, thanks for posting that video. I understand more than I did before.

It makes me wonder what I'll see when I open up a pedestal at a campground. Would the pedestal be considered a subpanel and therefore should not have ground bonded to neutral?

smoothJoey, thanks for posting that video. I understand more than I did before.

It makes me wonder what I'll see when I open up a pedestal at a campground. Would the pedestal be considered a subpanel and therefore should not have ground bonded to neutral?
Pretty sure of this. I live in an RV on leased property but responsible to run power connection.
I had a pedestal installed that came from the main metered service panel. Electrician considered it a sub panel.

I'm not sure of those pedestals that also have a meter.

I looked over Barry's photos again and still can't tell if he has a cat6 data link cable between the multis.

Pretty thorough comment on dual multiplus RV setups from VE community:

Here are the ways you can use two MultiPluses in USA RV parks.

[1] You can run them both completely independently, and then you need two CCGX, etc., if you want the full stack of monitoring and visualization.

[2] You can run them in a parallel "stack" and unify your load centers. The advantage of this is that you get the full power distribution across the whole set of loads. The downside is you cannot run 240V appliances, they run or fail as an atomic unit, and your minimum shore current in assist mode is twice the specified minimum for a single unit. You must wire both units to the same leg when you are on a 50A supply, so you will have a maximum of 6kW shore power available on 240V shore supplies.

[3] You can run them in a split-phase pair. There are two advantages of this approach compared to stacking. First, your two units are wired to each phase when on a 240V supply, so you have access to the full 12kW at the pole, subject to the internal limits of your MultiPluses. (They won't be able to charge that much, for example.) Second, if you have a single phase supply (120V 30A, 20A, 15A), you can feed it to one side and the other side will reject incoming and stay in inverter mode. You will have seamless load support on both legs, but you will be going through the battery for the second leg. A consequence of this setup is that if you have a large 120V generator, you may not be able to fully utilize it, because it can only feed one of your two units.

Which you should choose is pretty situational. Some examples:

• If you mostly have loads that total less than 6kW (hint: you do, if you live in a regular RV), you could choose [2] for the max power delivery flexibility.
  • If you have 240V loads, you must choose [3].
  • If you regularly use very small shore supplies, like say a 100-foot extension cord connected to your friend's 15A exterior outlet, you may need to chose [1] or [3] so that you can set a low enough shore limit.
  • If you value having a quick failover in the event of a unit that dies, [2] gives you the cleanest path to bring your entire set of loads back online.
  • If you have a large 120V generator relative to your selected MultiPlus size, you cannot choose [3] if you wish to use the generator's full capacity.
If you're willing to add components, you can achieve the benefits of [2] while using [3] by adding an autotransformer on the output side of the inverters.

It's not too hard to toggle between these three modes, as long as your two inverters are the exact same model and hardware revision level. You could experiment with one approach and change down the road if you don't like the consequences.

diy solar

diy solar
Back