diy solar

diy solar

Victron. Want to hire an expert. Around SE.

In post #5, the last picture you posted shows the inside of the DC fuse and AC breaker panel. The door has a map of the DC fuses and AC breakers. On the left side, at the top of the columns, it says "AC branch circuits" and "DC branch circuits". @smoothJoey is asking about the AC column list.

It shows GFI, Invert, W. Heat, etc.

Those are for the bottom row of AC breakers. the ones with the little switches with numbers like 15 and 20 on them.

The DC column is for the DC fuses along the top. Most are blue with a 15 on them and a yellow 20.
Saved it and it will be a few hours and i will go and look.

Guys, I answer a chemical tech line 7 days a week for all of north and south America; I talk to
Professionals and not so professional, so I know putting up with my ignorance is not easy, and I know that.

Im intelligent enough to know this is way over my head, and if I can find someone to hire, the best way maybe just to rewire and add what is needed.

The positive is everything is in place and easy to get to, so I give the dealer credit for that part.

I may have to get a motel for someone or drive a few states over to get it done, but this scares me.

Would I be wise to run aground from the battery bank to frame untill I find someone to wire this thing up right?
I think it is grounded to the body, but even if it is grounded to the frame, would a 2nd ground be an issue?
My wife 57 Tbird; when I installed a holly fuel injection, I had to run four grounds from the engine to the frame, so I have leftovers. I can do this today.
What do you think?
Barry

Not to get electrocuted when you touch the body is what im thinking.
This has been a problem with motors homes that I have read about.
Just over concerned on my part, but I trust your judgment as I dont know.

@Barryga are you willing to run a couple of tests this morning?
I still want to determine if/how your legacy system and new system are dc connected.
First test: See if the dc lighting goes off when you turn the converter breaker to off.

Second test: is to see if the GFCI outlet trips when you run a small load from it.

Not to get electrocuted when you touch the body is what im thinking.
This has been a problem with motors homes that I have read about.
Just over concerned on my part, but I trust your judgment as I dont know.
Lets not make any changes until we have a better understanding of what is going on.
We should make some tests though.

I hypothesize that the discrete automatic transfer switch has 2 inputs.
1. shore power
2. generator

Please verify that.

I also hypothesize that the ATS output goes to the little mettle junction box and from the junction box it goes to the ac input for each inverter/charger.

Please verify that.

Your Solar Controller seems under powered. I have that model and wish I bought 150V +.
50A charge current hardly seems adequate to support 2x 3000w inverters.
How many panels at what watts and do they all face one direction?

Ok, I will!
I do know the system takes shore power, battery power, and power from the engine when running, and the generator, as I can see on the app, the charging.
Gfic, I have a 1500 electric heater on one now, and it has never tripped it, but want me to test another way? With shore power or just running off the battery. And or generator.

Ok, I will!
I do know the system takes shore power
noted
battery power
noted
and power from the engine when running
that is new
and the generator
noted
Gfic, I have a 1500 electric heater on one now, and it has never tripped it, but want me to test another way? With shore power or just running off the battery.
shore power mode and inverter mode should be sufficient for now.
I would like to move very systematically through my list this morning, Is that ok with you?
The testing and inspections should be pretty easy, possibly tedious.

Your Solar Controller seems under powered. I have that model and wish I bought 150V +.
50A charge current hardly seems adequate to support 2x 3000w inverters.
How many panels at what watts and do they all face one direction?
The manufacturer would only install three 100watt; I wanted them to do it so no leaks.
Where I park the motor home is kind of in the woods, but I only relied on those panels once in FL at moms house, and they did fair but did not see the need to add more as was my original plan.

noted

noted

that is new

noted

shore power mode and inverter mode should be sufficient for now.
I would like to move very systematically through my list this morning, Is that ok with you?
The testing and inspections should be pretty easy, possibly tedious.
If this helps, when at Mom's, I run both airs off of battery system fo 8 hours and then need to start the generator.
All off shore power if this helps.
One air is a heat pump.

Wow, im not good with electrical, so I hope I gave what you want.
The batteries are on the other side directly across from the Victron items, so maybe 8 feet.
Looked under by batteries and the Victron
But saw no ground.
The wire from fuse goes up to a generator and runs the microwave.
Generator Oan 8000 runs off diesel.
Cunning use of spray foam as a battery hold down. ?

They are held with metal screwed into floor.
I guess that keeps batteries from moving.
I was going to build a metal top hold down, but these seem very solid, so I did not bother.
Better get another can of foam and fill in on top of the batteries to keep them from bouncing too then? ??

@Barryga are you willing to run a couple of tests this morning?
I still want to determine if/how your legacy system and new system are dc connected.
First test: See if the dc lighting goes off when you turn the converter breaker to off.

Second test: is to see if the GFCI outlet trips when you run a small load from it.

Lets not make any changes until we have a better understanding of what is going on.
We should make some tests though.

I hypothesize that the discrete automatic transfer switch has 2 inputs.
1. shore power
2. generator

Please verify that.

I also hypothesize that the ATS output goes to the little mettle junction box and from the junction box it goes to the ac input for each inverter/charger.

Please verify that.
No, the lights stayed .when breakers shut off.
Gfi, I plugged in my wife's hair curling iron.
There was a five-second shock to the inside system as coffee in the microwave stopped then started.

No, the lights stayed .when breakers shut off.
Lets be explicit.
Do you mean the dc lights stayed on?
Which breakers did you turn off?
You should only have turned off the converter breaker for that test.
Gfi, I plugged in my wife's hair curling iron.
There was a five-second shock to the inside system as coffee in the microwave stopped then started.
Please describe this 5 second shock.
I have no idea what you are describing.

Lets be explicit.
Do you mean the dc lights stayed on?
Which breakers did you turn off?
You should only have turned off the converter breaker for that test.

Please describe this 5-second shock.
I have no idea what you are describing.
The microwave stopped, and the lights flicked once.

diy solar

diy solar
Back