diy solar

diy solar

Voltage drop

RobbieD

I’m running 1/0 AWG cable in my system, I am getting voltage drop at my inverter. obviously need to up the cable size to AWG 2/0. This cable is not available where I am for me to change out the cable. So my question is if I was to run a second smaller cable, 8AWG (which I can get and run fairly simply) would it help with the over all voltage drop or am I causing more of an issue?

thanks in advance,

You would do much better to determine why there is the voltage drop. Many things can cause this.

If you add a second smaller wire, it will need separate fuse protection for the wire ampacity, preferable with a T type fuse with large currents. The problem with a second smaller wire, if the load is high and you have a connection with resistance on the larger wire, 2 things can occur. One, the connection gets hot enough to cause a "up in smoke situation". Second, if there is enough resistance on the larger wire, current will flow more on the smaller wire causing a possible "up in smoke" situation. Even worse if the larger wire was to go open circuit.

The correct way to measure voltage drop on any point on a DC system is to have the positive multimeter lead at the source or at a location on the upside of current flow, then use the other lead downstream to read the voltage. This method creates a parallel path to read voltage potential. If the total of the entire circuit has over 0.5V it indicates high resistance and needs to be addressed.

You may find that crimps and connections are the cause of the voltage drop. You did not state the current system voltage and the amp draw. Those would be helpful to determine if 1/0 cable is sufficient to handle the load. If you had done the calculations before building the system and 1/0 was sufficient for the required amp draw, then you should start checking for resistance in the circuit.

How are you actually measuring the voltage drop, with a meter, or on the display of your inverter? Do you see the voltage drop when the inverter is idling, or when a load is applied to it? Are you comparing the voltage at both the battery terminals, and the inverter terminals?

I’m running 1/0 AWG cable in my system, I am getting voltage drop at my inverter. obviously need to up the cable size to AWG 2/0. This cable is not available where I am for me to change out the cable. So my question is if I was to run a second smaller cable, 8AWG (which I can get and run fairly simply) would it help with the over all voltage drop or am I causing more of an issue?

thanks in advance,
What is the continuous rating for your inverter?
What is the system voltage?
What is the round trip circuit length between the inverter and battery?
Have you looked for hot spots while running a stress test?

Back