diy solar

diy solar

Walmart selling Chins for $266

The biggest headache in fooling with these to me is the lack of consistency.

I want all my batteries to be identical when I start buying them for the main house usage. But I don't want to buy all of them at once. Its not a real priority so spending that much at one time just isn't worth it to me.

Used to be at least on the lead acid batteries you pretty much got the same thing when you bought x brand and x model even when purchased over time. With these its almost guaranteed you won't.

I do believe I will be making my own batteries at this rate since diy is the only real hope to keep things close to matching.

Also before someone says as long as they are parallel it doesn't matter. Your doing series bringing 12 volts to 48 volts :)

So its either server racks or diy from what I can see at this rate and diy is the best over time option. At least I get to pick the bms I want this way.

the only real hope to keep things close to matching
This is real consideration to factor in.

I bought cheap assembled batteries and they are working just fine. I had planned to add batteries to my system when I bought the first two 140Ah 12V which were good value $/Ah; alas, they became unavailable in a few months and I have not seen them ‘back in stock’ since.

I surrendered eventually and bought a 200Ah 12V instead, and have regretted not starting out with LiFePo using the somewhat more costly/Ah 100Ah units. It will be fine I’m sure but it would have been more desirable to scale in with more matching batteries to my 700Ah goal.
(480 currently; 700 would be 100% buffer- double- over my calculated minimum buffer. The “extra” buffer is probably a practical minimum headroom in Vermont winters.)

These are commodity-level batteries in the burgeoning off-grid and/or diy solar market and I’m surprised this hasn’t matured more. This variability and lack of consistency is one primary reason I say “small” consumer solar is not a mature market. Solar panels- while cheaply made or bizarre panels are still common- are a mature product even at the commodity tier of shelves. Small inverters for battery use are not entirely consistent, AIOs have not entirely settled down; it is confusing to me imaging why this is.

Last edited:
Amazon has it for $249 now. Supposedly with low temp cut off. Lowest price ever.

CHINS LiFePO4 Battery 12V 100AH Lithium Battery - Built-in 100A BMS, 2000~5000 Cycles, Perfect for Golf Cart, Trolling Motor, Marine and Off-Grid, Includes Low Temperature Cut-off Function

Worthwhile or pass?
Price is good, just dont what the hassle of one arriving dead or dying in a few weeks and having to hassle with proving it is bad and maybe not getting it replaced by seller.

Worthwhile or pass?
Depends on your goals, the need, your budget.
I have two btrpower 140Ah and a Chins 200Ah that seem to live fine parallel together, and the chins was ~525-ish.

Nice thing with Amazon is they give you a return window for stuff; with ‘prime’ it’s a simple fix to return stuff if necessary.

That is the problem - You have to deal with returns with seller. Can't send back to Amazon. Then they will probably make you jump through hoops to prove its bad, etc.

From the seller "This item is non-returnable, but if the item arrives damaged or defective, you may request a refund or replacement."

Goal - low cost, reliable lithuim batter for occasional camping use.

Lead acid batteries only have a 12 month warranty now.

Don't want it to fail 6 mos later and be left with a brick.

But they also changed cell types, so not sure if it is good anymore.

BS don't believe return to store nonsense they won't take it back, "call the 800 number" is what they will tell you, you better check with you local walmart first. The walmarts here in east tx don't even take stuff back form other walmart stores!

Ok. That would be good! If it is true, I could go for that. Much less risky 90days.
Then the question is I I want one with pouch cells?
Walmart web site:

Return policy for CHINS Lifepo4 Battery Store
proSeller.svg
Pro Seller

• Return within
    90 days after item is delivered
  • Returnable to store?
    Yes
Walmart requires seller to use minimum standards for item returns, but each seller has their own policy.

I’ve had no problem with returns EVER with Amazon 30-day policy.
Walmart has given me a hard time with returns on things they are discontinuing in the store. But generally ok.

On anything but these batteries I agree. No problems ever. One item that did not work and was not returnable they ended up giving me for free. But it also said "No returns." I found that out after I got it.

For the batteries, you have to work with the seller, probably in China. You have read here on the forum all the troubles other people have had? Or read the Amazon reviews of the hassle people had to go through?

For 90 days, I'd get it at Walmart and pay the extra $10. Just not sure it is still worth it since they changed the cell types. Wills recommendation probably does not apply anymore as can be seen in the video above.

For 90 days, I'd get it at Walmart and pay the extra $10. Just not sure it is still worth it since they changed the cell types. Wills recommendation probably does not apply anymore as can be seen in the video above
Time will tell. I have a 12V 200Ah chins

Back