diy solar

diy solar

WFCO Auto-Detect Converter Does Not Auto-Detect

KCBlues

I recently installed WFCO's "auto-detect" replacement converter and board for our trailer's OEM WFCO 8955 converter. Their claim of auto-detection of "the battery's chemistry" is clearly not accurate as it never got anywhere near the charge rate for LiFePO4 batteries. So, looking up the issue, I find a WFCO Tech Support "official" video that advises you have to "trick" the converter into recognizing LiFePO4 batteries! You have to take their "auto-detecting" converter out of its enclosure, starting with shore power turned off. You then have to turn it on and off twice, hoping that the battery is discharged enough and that the correct set of ED lights light up. So, I called and asked for a replacement or refund. No dice, their tech rep said it works, my batteries just have to be abused to get their "auto-detect" feature to work!

Yes, they refuse to refund my money or replace the converter with one that actually works, saying that their auto-detection works, but only if you have a FULLY (10V or 2% SOC) discharged battery. Yes, that is 2%, not 20% SOC! While the money spent won't break me, I am still contacting an attorney to explore legal options, including a class-action law suit. Their advertising sure doesn't warn the buyer of all these "tricks" you have to try before their product works.

If anyone else has "upgraded" to a WFCO Auto-Detect converter, I'd love to hear about your experience.

I'd think the same thing might be accomplished by applying a heavy load to the battery (inverter load) while following the instructions in the video.

I have had many customers have trouble with these auto-detect units. The only grace they get is that they can jump start a fully discharged battery, but it's a nightmare to fully drain the battery just to realize it didn't detect right and you don't notice until it stops charging at 80%...then to drain AGAIN...

It's really a shame that the AIMS chargers started having issues, we used to recommend replacement, but seems no one can make a good high-current battery charger anymore.

I'd think the same thing might be accomplished by applying a heavy load to the battery (inverter load) while following the instructions in the video.
Their tech rep said there needed to be at least a 2 volt difference in the battery's charge and the converter's voltage. I just saw this comment on the video linked above:

"I had to push my LiFePo4 bank well below the manufacturer's recommended discharge floor before this "trick" would work. After finally getting the red & blue lights to light, indicating the lithium profile, I was able to fully charge my battery bank. Once charged, I "parked" my rv. Upon start up, my 8955-ad reverted right back to the lead acid profile and the green light. Auto detect and easy to use is not my initial impressions of this device. So far, seriously regretting this purchase."

So, it evidently does NOT hold the settings as promised by the WFCO tech support rep.

I have had many customers have trouble with these auto-detect units. The only grace they get is that they can jump start a fully discharged battery, but it's a nightmare to fully drain the battery just to realize it didn't detect right and you don't notice until it stops charging at 80%...then to drain AGAIN...

It's really a shame that the AIMS chargers started having issues, we used to recommend replacement, but seems no one can make a good high-current battery charger anymore.
I have asked an attorney to explore the possibility of a class-action law suit.

I have also filed a complaint with the FTC at https://reportfraud.ftc.gov/#/. The more complaints they get, the more likely they will force WFCO to do right by the customers who bought this POS.

See my comments (thread referenced above) as getting the charger into Lithium mode is just the first problem... Once it knows the battery type (Blue LED) it still doesn't charge properly for all circumstances - if you're on shore power all the time it's fine but if you want to bulk charge using a generator you're severely limited. WFCO is a cheap solution if it fits your needs, otherwise go with Victron.

I know this isn't going to rectify your issue but I thought I'd describe my answer to the lifepo4 charger issue;
I wasn't happy with the specifications of most of the off-the-shelf lifepo4 chargers, either because they had a fixed charging voltage of 14.6 or because their "bulk" phase was on a timer. Most, like the WFCO, did not have (in my opinion) a charge rate and voltage settings appropriate for the 500ah lifepo4 battery bank in our camper.
I decided to upgrade the camper's 1000-watt psw inverter with a psw 12-volt 3000/9000-watt low frequency inverter-charger, which has an adjustable charge rate with a max of 95 amps and adjustable voltages.
The circuit breaker for the camper's WFCO converter is permanently in the "off" position.

New tech support call today...Customer complained, but I got a laugh as to what he said.

He said: "It's not Auto-detect, it's random-select"

I recently installed WFCO's "auto-detect" replacement converter and board for our trailer's OEM WFCO 8955 converter. Their claim of auto-detection of "the battery's chemistry" is clearly not accurate as it never got anywhere near the charge rate for LiFePO4 batteries. So, looking up the issue, I find a WFCO Tech Support "official" video that advises you have to "trick" the converter into recognizing LiFePO4 batteries! You have to take their "auto-detecting" converter out of its enclosure, starting with shore power turned off. You then have to turn it on and off twice, hoping that the battery is discharged enough and that the correct set of ED lights light up. So, I called and asked for a replacement or refund. No dice, their tech rep said it works, my batteries just have to be abused to get their "auto-detect" feature to work!

Yes, they refuse to refund my money or replace the converter with one that actually works, saying that their auto-detection works, but only if you have a FULLY (10V or 2% SOC) discharged battery. Yes, that is 2%, not 20% SOC! While the money spent won't break me, I am still contacting an attorney to explore legal options, including a class-action law suit. Their advertising sure doesn't warn the buyer of all these "tricks" you have to try before their product works.

If anyone else has "upgraded" to a WFCO Auto-Detect converter, I'd love to hear about your experience.
I've been having the same issue, upgraded my battery to a Renogy 200Aph and the converter (WFCO 8955) to the "lithium" one and I only was able to get the blue light once and it didn't stay on. I only get 7amp of charging, can't even trigger the bulk charge cycle at all. Tried their load trick, brought the battery down to 30%, 10% and below; never kicked on. I use a portable renogy solar panel when boondocking with a generator if needed.
I do a mix of boondocking and shore power, inverter/charger is overkill since I don't have the space for it or the weight allocation in the travel trailer. We are weekend warriors and spend most of time not using any of the AC appliances when boondocking
But now I'm looking at either putting in the PowerMax PM4 55A 110V AC to 12V DC 55 Amp Power Converter with Built-in 4 Stage Smart Battery Charger or just get the Victron IP22 Smart Charger in the mix and bypass the converter for charging.

It's been a frustrating month trying to get this converter to work... the 350$CAD stings as well

My stock WFCO 8955 converter never hits Bulk Voltage. Apparently it has to supply a high current before it goes bulk (per web research). My Travel Trailer has about 24 foot round trip of 6awg to batteries. Others have confirmed issue, with shorter runs and larger gauges working well.

Last edited:
I'm experiencing the same problem. The WFCO 8955 had been charging at the bulk rate, at least several times, then last week I noticed it would only charge at about 10amps. After MUCH searching, I finally found the video that other people talked about where you discharge the batteries, do the power cycle thing, and it switched to lithium mode with the blue LED. I thought, great, problem solved. Today I was down to about 40% and thought I'd go ahead and fire up the generator rather than deal with it if it gets too low later in the night. Noticed it wasn't charging at the full rate. Pulled the converter back out of the cabinet, and noticed sure enough that the green LED was back, indicating lead-acid mode. Why couldn't they just have a dip switch or jumper setting. I concur that the "auto detect" is terribly broken.

I hear nothing but horror stories about the WFCO Auto detect. That's why I'm planning to pick up a progressive dynamics converter instead.

The older basic three stage never worked right.... how would we expect an "auto-detect" to do any better.

Dump the WFCO. Get something else.

So, you can solve this problem in about an hour and install a new converter [I would go with something that could push some serious amps] or spend years and thousands of dollars fighting a large corporation. Have at it, but, I would just purchase a new converter with an old school switch.

Assuming they are right about how to get it to charge properly, it seems like you do not like their instructions. You only have to do it once, I do not see the problem.

I worked at a BMW dealership and the client leased an i3. She found out that she cannot charge the vehicle long enough to drive to work daily. Since she lives in an apartment complex, she cannot modify the wiring close to her car. What does she do? Go after BMW. She can't turn in her leased car, she cannot use it, she cannot modify the charging situation, and she is really mad that people will not fix the problem she caused.

Sometimes we purchase the wrong item, if money is not the issue, purchase a new one. This time, do you homework to determine what everyone is using the the problems they are having.

Just one mans opinion.

Lot's of comments and ideas on the various RV forums,

Back