diy solar

diy solar

What can we do for heat?

Wandererrr

In sticky situation because a lot popped up before completing a system that could work for the amount of power needed. I thought I had everything in order properly but I guess I went wrong somewhere and now I don't have the power needed for proper heating and the weathers getting cold.

Different people gave us different information but I did the best I could with what I started with, and what info I tried to diligently follow online.

I have 2 Renogy 100w 12v solar panels, 3 Renogy 12v 100ah lifepo4 batteries, a 3000w continuous 6000w surge Homkeep inverter, and a 30a Renogy charge controller.
The charge controller is connected to the batteries with #10 wires, and the batteries are connected to each other and the inverter with #2 wires.

But this setup isn't powerful enough to power 1500w devices that are necessary such as a space heater, electric burner, and air fryer/toaster oven.

So what do I need to get or change to survive in this skoolie? I've heard plenty of hate saying I shouldn't be doing any of this if I don't know what I'm doing, but I don't have a choice as I'm just trying to survive.

Should I get a Jackery solar generator with a portable solar panel, more solar panels and a new charge controller, more batteries? Something else?

What do I need to power a 1500w space heater up to 6hrs a day, in addition to using a 1500w electric burner up to an hour a day, and a 1500w air fryer/toaster oven up to an hour a day.
I don't want a generator because I don't want to use more gasoline and because of the noise, but if it's the only option then I will.

The problem has been the same for thousands of years, and there is only one solution to cheap heat, burn something.

I suggest you check out some of the small diesel heaters advertised on e-bay and Ali.
These are not expensive and run very economically and put out an amazing amount of heat.

*edit* Bob, you beat me to the draw. Agree diesel is the way to go.

Excellent advice on the diesel heater, I used one in my garage last winter and was impressed, it would easily heat a small area.
The next best option would probably be a mini split heat pump rated for cold temperature operation. There's a sub-forum dedicated to heat pumps. You'd need more panels and batteries too, I would not buy a portable unit like the jackery.

A jackery is NOT going to keep you warm at night

I'd go for a little wood burning stove person, collect and burn twigs& branches (it's free!)

If that's not practical then you could look at a desiel night heater or preferably a propex heater

Or maybe propane ?

Fuel to burn is always going to be a problem. The heater itself may be simple and low cost, but the fuel for it may end up being expensive or inconvenient, or difficult to control the heat output. Apart from coal, diesel has a very high heat content per unit volume compared to most other things, so for transporting and storing fuel, and convenience, diesel starts to look very good.

Diesel heater is good option, get a Webasto if you can afford it. Plenty of videos on YouTube about these heaters. Propane heaters also an option, RV furnaces use quite a bit of power for the fan, ventless heaters like the buddy heater release lots of moisture in to the air which outside of dry climates can create moisture issues in the vehicle.

I didn't initially suggest wood or coal, I don't know why, probably thought mobile environment may not be best.. . These would be excellent options if you have a place to store them. I heated my house with wood for a few years and have been using coal for 5-7. Depending where you are located coal can be purchased cheap at the breaker, I can still source it for $200/ton; however you can easily pay over twice that in other areas of the country.
You'll probably be sliding the windows down with a small wood or coal stove burning properly.

Diesel heater and/or electric blankets but both still need some electricity. You don’t have much solar or much storage and getting more may be too costly. A small inverter generator (Honda competitor) to fill in for the lack of capacity or a week of cloudy days might be the answer. Run it around 75% of full load to charge the batteries to be efficient and to get it over with.

My Mercedes Unimog Ambulance, completely overbuilt, had a diesel fuel heater for the ambulance box. It of course had the $2000 European version, but those $200 chinese clones seem to be working pretty well. Note they are at best 8,000 BTU units. The ambulance box was double wall and insulated in the floor roof and walls with minimal glass. My guess is you are going to need more than one heater for typical skoolie. Keep in mind that water lines like to freeze in the worst places.

I ended up swapping the ambulance body for a cargo body so I cant give you the exact model but believe it was a Eberspacher brand. Their competitor is Webasto. They make both heat and hot water units but the heaters seem to be more simple.

Some serious insulation, and possibly double glazing will be well worth it in the long run.
I spent a couple of years in the Antarctic and it just requires a bit of thought and planning to be reasonably comfortable.

Good suggestions on the diesel heaters. I don’t believe they use much electricity. They do make a little bit of noise (nothing like a generator) and do have some exhaust fumes that need to be vented to the outside.

Another suggestion, going on your user name, is to wander south where it’s warmer. Lots of people do that. North in summer where the heat isn’t quite as intense and south in the winter where it doesn’t get so cold.

Your current setup is about 5-10x too small for what you’re trying to do to heat with electric. You have a bus, so cover it with 2000-5000W of panels, depends upon the size of your bus. Then you need a bigger charge controller (could work in tandem with your current one) and a lot more batteries. And going 48v might not be a bad idea, depending how many watts you need to burn at once. More than 2000W, go bigger than 12v (24 or 48v). More than 2700W, go straight to 48v. Two space heaters will pull 3000-3600W. Most space heaters are 1500W, but I’ve seen a few that are 1800W.

Basic math. Your batteries hold about 1200W each. In 6 hours at 1500W plus 1500W for burner and 1500W for air fryer is 12000W so you would need 10 of the batteries to cover it, and the bad news is that the inverter has a loss in the process also. If you had enough battery to run everything, the next step is recharging them in 18 hours to ready for the next night. I guess that's why my trailer furnace and range are LP.

Back