diy solar

diy solar

What can we do for heat?

I use 2 buddy heaters in a small house but just purchased a Chinese diesel heater to try out. I have much more solar this year and will probably hook up an oil filled electric heater on low just during the day to try out.

But electric heat is an expensive losing proposition in my studies? Reading? Experience last year? Whatever... Maybe as I buy more panels and more batteries and different solar charge controllers with higher voltage

The other option is a Toyostove Vented "kerosene" heater (it also burns ultra low sulfur diesel. They vent through the wall and have far higher output than the chinese diesels.

The only other option is to beef up solar enough to go with a cold climate mini split, they are between two to three times more efficient than resistance heat depending on outdoor temperature.

Tinny wood stoves are a thing on boats. They suck for overnight because they dont hold enough fuel to burn all night so your constantly up stoking them. however a mix of wood heat for the day when your up and a diesel or propane for overnight would be my suggestion. Propane bought in bulk is about half the cost of diesel.

They suck for overnight because they dont hold enough fuel to burn all night so your constantly up stoking them.

Really depends on who's stoking the fire!

I knew a little old man, he lived in a tiny converted garage with poor insulation , he had the smallest log burner you could imagine

He'd top up the fire with logs and some house coal before bed, turn it down low,

he could make it through the night most nights, sometimes he'd have to top up once at 3am if it was really cold out

They are great but be careful

Run it high or choke it up , they are your only two options
Run high or choke them is an internet myth.. Have run one 24/7 to heat a room off the house for 4 winter seasons.. Leave it on setting #2 which is a lower setting. and run it from Dec 1st to march 15th non stop.. At the end of the 3rd season had to replace glow plug and clean out the burn chamber but for the serious amount of hours run it was not that dirty. That myth has been busted along time ago. They are a pwm controlled pump, I think you call it. The lower the setting the lower the pump pulses and the lower the fan runs.
You will get carbon problems when people start adding waste motor oil into the mix.. It may have to do with whatever cheapo china heater you buy. Some are better than others.. YMMV

Run high or choke them is an internet myth.. Have run one 24/7 to heat a room off the house for 4 winter seasons.. Leave it on setting #2 which is a lower setting. and run it from Dec 1st to march 15th non stop

I choked mine up after only 2 months running it low , black sut came out the hot air vents , into the habitation area

I was using the afterburner controller with the pump and fan turned down especially low so that might not have helped

Maybe you are just lucky, or I am just unlucky ?

In sticky situation because a lot popped up before completing a system that could work for the amount of power needed. I thought I had everything in order properly but I guess I went wrong somewhere and now I don't have the power needed for proper heating and the weathers getting cold.

Different people gave us different information but I did the best I could with what I started with, and what info I tried to diligently follow online.

I have 2 Renogy 100w 12v solar panels, 3 Renogy 12v 100ah lifepo4 batteries, a 3000w continuous 6000w surge Homkeep inverter, and a 30a Renogy charge controller.
The charge controller is connected to the batteries with #10 wires, and the batteries are connected to each other and the inverter with #2 wires.

But this setup isn't powerful enough to power 1500w devices that are necessary such as a space heater, electric burner, and air fryer/toaster oven.

So what do I need to get or change to survive in this skoolie? I've heard plenty of hate saying I shouldn't be doing any of this if I don't know what I'm doing, but I don't have a choice as I'm just trying to survive.

Should I get a Jackery solar generator with a portable solar panel, more solar panels and a new charge controller, more batteries? Something else?

What do I need to power a 1500w space heater up to 6hrs a day, in addition to using a 1500w electric burner up to an hour a day, and a 1500w air fryer/toaster oven up to an hour a day.
I don't want a generator because I don't want to use more gasoline and because of the noise, but if it's the only option then I will.
A 16,200 watt bank minimum, 5,000 continuous watt minimum inverter and a minimum of 4,050 watt pv array. Like I said this is minimum and leaves no wiggle room for anything. I.e. forget to turn off something, cloud cover or even 1 minute of any 1500 watt appliance running. Everything you are using is power hungry. I know, it sucks but what I have learned about solar in this forum from some really nice helpful people is that "it is what it is" when it comes to solar. What you use is what you have to generate and there isn't any way to manipulate or cheat solar. I will say this when it comes to electric heaters, oil filled are the most efficient but the catch is you have to leave them on 24/7 to get max efficiency. On high? No. You can put them on the lowest setting when your rig isn't occupied. If you are in the extreme cold hydronic heating is probably your best option or install a small wood stove.
I built a solar air heater and it works better than people might think. It's con is that it puts off no heat at night. In my 500 sqft house I have 2 of these putting out enough heat that no other heat source is needed during the day as long as it doesn't get below freezing here in the sunny south. They MUST face south for peak performance but they can face east, west as well. I am building 2 more small units to put east and west facing to collect that little extra. In short you have a fairly large power demand for an off-grid situation.
In short I would find other routes for heating and cooking that would be most efficient, practical and cost effective for your needs as the things that consume the most solar energy is cooking, climate control and water heating which you didn't mention.

Mr. @Hogheavenfarm and several others are an awesome help and don't treat you like an idiot. I still have the new car smell on me when it comes to solar but the most useful information I have found came from guys like him.
Check out my thread "simple system but I need help" and you will get some powerful information from these guys!

A simple propane floor- or wall-mounted blue-flame heater (Mr. Heater, many other models) *with an integrated thermostat* might work well for you; get the version that is safe for indoor use, and/or vent it directly to the outside. We have one in each major area, and have used these for years.

Mount a propane bottle of any appropriate size somewhere outside of the bus, and a simple propane hose routed inside to the heater. Can expand upon this, and have propane cooking, possibly propane water heating. If not handy with propane plumbing (which is super simple), any RV place can get it done for you.

Refill propane bottles at many locations, including RV sales/supplies/repair locations, campgrounds, etc. Propane is everywhere. You can even just "swap bottles" at your nearest walmart or similar business.

No electricity needed to operate, and once lit, the thermostat keeps it at set temperature. You'll be warm all night. Add appropriate CO detectors and fire alarms, if you don't already have them in place (and you should).

Mr. Buddy's and the like are for temp use, and not as ideal as the floor/wall units, but they'll work in a pinch until you get to a better arrangement.

Hope this helps ...

woodstove
Man...if I knew then what I know now...
20 some odd years ago,I was working a Remodel job,out town but customer provided me with a small rv trailer to stay in.Well,,,I was working hard at there's few things finer than a good HOT shower to wash of the days dirt ! Smaller the trailer
...smaller the hot water supply! Fixed that by plumbing in an "extra" water heater ! As it started getting chilly at night I needed a source of heat.(no electric),thus water heater story. So for heat,20 years ago,I made up a small woodheater,I'm talking SMALL ! 8" steel pipe,12"-16" long,water heater drip pan for a cleanable insulated bottom,some double wall vent tubing for ... venting.I gotta tell ya that Lil stove did MORE than enough to heat that joint ! These days you buy one ready made for about $40 bucks from Wal-Mart! Tip...put a double 90 ° elbows in your smokestack,heat retention will triple! 2 mins of a morn. "Stoke up" will find you leaving the door OPEN for some cool air after that morn. Shower.
Too long a reply...got to go !

This is an older post in which OP hasn't posted in a while, but I'll throw in my pennies anyways.

Lots of recommendations to burn stuff, which would work.

As an alternative, instead of heating the entire vehicle, you could heat the occupants directly. Electric blankets, jackets, socks, etc will use less energy than a space heater to keep you comfortable. Plus, you can wear the heated socks outside and stay warmer in the great outdoors too!

We do it a lot in the UK , old hippies used to have them in their buses ,

now it's very popular with the 'van life' millennials ... And you can see why , free heat!

View attachment 174121
Hi I am toying with the idea of either this or a diesel hob/heater combo. I love the idea of the sustainability of wood however I cannot stand smoke and also I have extremely limited space in my transit connect. My living habit though is more aimed at settling on a site so storage would not have to be an issue. The stinking of smoke would be the dealbreaker for me though. Can you tell me how much of an issue it is and also how much did that one cost? If it is more than a grand, which is the cost of a diesel heater and hob combo it makes it mostly a moot point as I do not want to pay more than than but similar price, if minimal smoke, I may be interest. I know people make gas bottle stoves for a few hundred but I guess they would be more inclined to smoke up the living space being less high tech? I really cannot stand the stench of smoke on clothes and would just go home if friends were making a campfire. It would just stick on your clothes for days on end like how cigarette smoke used to before it was banned in public places. So is this inevitable going to be the same?

Being able to collect your own fuel is the big appeal, especially as my living goals are to stay more stationary and just use the van as a portable home and stay wherever as long as is feasible rather than constantly traveling about.

Heated jacket. Typically they take 12v sources and a little bit of energy goes a LONG way when you are indoors out of the wind. Also you can get 12V heated mats to put in bed or under the mattress.

Wear wool and polyester, avoid cotton because when it gets wet it really soaks up a lot and refuse to dry.

Last edited:
I cannot stand smoke

If you demand totally clean combustion, the the only way you are going to get that is by burning a clean highly refined fuel.

Foraging for free stuff to burn, the smoke and the smells will also come for free with that.

Last edited:
Hi I am toying with the idea of either this or a diesel hob/heater combo. I love the idea of the sustainability of wood however I cannot stand smoke and also I have extremely limited space in my transit connect. My living habit though is more aimed at settling on a site so storage would not have to be an issue. The stinking of smoke would be the dealbreaker for me though. Can you tell me how much of an issue it is and also how much did that one cost? If it is more than a grand, which is the cost of a diesel heater and hob combo it makes it mostly a moot point as I do not want to pay more than than but similar price, if minimal smoke, I may be interest. I know people make gas bottle stoves for a few hundred but I guess they would be more inclined to smoke up the living space being less high tech? I really cannot stand the stench of smoke on clothes and would just go home if friends were making a campfire. It would just stick on your clothes for days on end like how cigarette smoke used to before it was banned in public places. So is this inevitable going to be the same?

Being able to collect your own fuel is the big appeal, especially as my living goals are to stay more stationary and just use the van as a portable home and stay wherever as long as is feasible rather than constantly traveling about.

Its a tough call, and ultimately one you will have to make for yourself

If you are sensitive to smoke you might struggle... Have you spent time with a real fire? Although a good chimney takes 99% of all smoke out the room, you will ALWAYS get some into the room, often a little puff when you open the door. Do keep in mind, wood smoke is a lot nicer smell than cigarettes smoke , a lot less pervasive

You also get plenty of dust. For me , I am happy with it all this, I've never lived with anything else but a real fire, and the benefits outway the costs . Fire is essentially our only the traditional heat source, Humans have lived with fires for 1,000s of years, every other source of heat is new & novel in the grand scheme

Ask yourself this, do you really want to have to light a fire everytime you want to boil a kettle? or cook beans on toast? Cooking with a real fire forces you to take a more holistic, slow approach to life, no 'on demand' convenience like we are so used to..

Price for a log burner install is anywhere from £500 DIY to a couple of grand professionally installed.

I really cannot stand the stench of smoke on clothes and would just go home if friends were making a campfire. It would just stick on your clothes for days on end like how cigarette smoke used to before it was banned in public places. So is this inevitable going to be the same?

I mean no offense, don't mean to sound rude, but after reading your post, I really don't think a log fire is for you. go for LPG , I think it's a much better option for someone with your particular needs. LPG is almost completely odourless, and so long as you have adequate ventilation the fumes shouldn't be an issue either

Btw a propex LPG heater is often a better option than a desiel night heater, similar idea but cleaner burning, more reliable - they come up cheap second hand on eBay

If you demand totally clean combustion, the the only way you are going to get that is by burning a clean highly refined fuel.

Foraging for free stuff to burn, the smoke and the smells will also come for free with that.
I think that is an over simplification. It isnt about the fuel but how well the burning device is contained, in any case, regardless of fuel source. Paraffin is refined as you say but known to stink because the fumes are expelled in the living space when speaking of the old style paraffin heaters.

Diesel heaters, popular today, are said to be good because they combust in a chamber which doesnt come in the living space and expel the bad smells and other nastiness. I imagine, and have read, that good wood burners work in a similar fashion, isolating the burning from the living space. Not totally the same since you have to add fuel as you go which will allow some to come out, but it is not the same case you are stating about fuel refinement being the only consideration.

Back