diy solar

diy solar

What Mini-Split did you use, and Why?

yea for the defrost it sounds like a sensor thinks it's too cold

and for the not kicking on heat.. hard to guess that one seems like maybe it "won't" kick on heat while in defrost mode or something?
These aura's don't heat while defrosting. Some mini's might, but I don't know of any.

I know I recently read someone who had both a pioneer and a senville for 7 years or something like that. The pioneer died and the senville was still going. IIirc, he said they were basically the same unit.
all the low temp senville can do 28 SEER2 and the pioneer only do 22-23 SEER2 so pretty big difference, like 20% more efficient.
The EG4 9000 btu one that does 29.5 SEER2 I wish had a 240volt version cuz that's what I want to use..

These aura's don't heat while defrosting. Some mini's might, but I don't know of any.
might be why it's bugging out for you to turn on the heat then..
bad sensor for the defrost causes some chain reaction in fails

It's written in the manual that they prefer you just leave the thing on in perpetuity. The fan, just like the mitsushitsies, will continue running so that the unit will know what the existing temps are and determine whether or not to kick on the heat or ac. I prefer turning things off when not in use.
That's why I liked the idea of the follow me feature, but that feature uses an obscene amount of power for an unknown reason. Even senville techs supposedly didn't know that. Might have something to do with the arctic (-22*) heating.

I bought the EG4 24K because Signature Solar offered 5% off on my new 15.4KW 39.6KWH EP Cube system +free shipping on it all. Saved me a lot of money and I was going to buy a 24K anyway plus the EG4 Hybrid will run on straight PV DC power. Hope it all arrives tomorrow!

damn.. I liked them cuz they have the most efficient (highest seer2) 240v units at the best price
now I am scared..
might do pioneer and lose a bit of seer rating for less of a care on their warranties hahahah
Pioneer floor mount does act similar to what is described for the Senville floor mount.

It is a strange thing, my thoughts are it is the outside condensing unit core temp sensor is defective only at certain temps. I was going to pull it out someday and graph it on my graphing multimeter as I run it thru the temp range. But then it started working perfectly fine so it might be just a bad connection, until last night I decided to turn it on for a little heat after it had been used for air conditioning for quite a number of days. It went into the defrost cycle right away. I have enough to do now so will probably not look at it until fall.

The Pioneer works very well otherwise. My Senville wall mount can get a little cantankerous too. I prefer the Senville except for the wi fi app that uses Alexa app, what a joke.

all the low temp senville can do 28 SEER2

No, not 28 SEER 2. I just had 2 of these delivered https://senville.com/24000-btu-mini-split-air-conditioner-sena-24hf/ these are 21.5 SEER 2. Boxes say 21.5 SEER 2
and the pioneer only do 22-23 SEER2 so pretty big difference, like 20% more efficient.
The EG4 9000 btu one that does 29.5 SEER2 I wish had a 240volt version cuz that's what I want to use..

I'd be skeptical of the claimed SEER 2 for the EG4. That is pretty high. Maybe they are using R290. :ROFLMAO:

might be why it's bugging out for you to turn on the heat then..
bad sensor for the defrost causes some chain reaction in fails

Are there no error codes?
No codes on my Pioneer. I contacted Pioneer (support not that good) and they gave me a download link for the tech manual. I looked at defrost conditions and when it would occur. I'd have to stand out in the cold to run some tests unless I just pull the temp sensor and graph the resistance with temp change.

Too many more important things to do now, but I am thinking it is in the coil temp sensor. I can say the room temp given by the unit is off quite a bit even when off, so if they use 3 of the same sensors, they all might have the same problem.

Make sure the coil sensor on the outdoor unit is mounted to the coil well and hasn’t come loose.

Pioneer floor mount does act similar to what is described for the Senville floor mount.

It is a strange thing, my thoughts are it is the outside condensing unit core temp sensor is defective only at certain temps. I was going to pull it out someday and graph it on my graphing multimeter as I run it thru the temp range. But then it started working perfectly fine so it might be just a bad connection, until last night I decided to turn it on for a little heat after it had been used for air conditioning for quite a number of days. It went into the defrost cycle right away. I have enough to do now so will probably not look at it until fall.

The Pioneer works very well otherwise. My Senville wall mount can get a little cantankerous too. I prefer the Senville except for the wi fi app that uses Alexa app, what a joke.
It's interesting that you're having the same problem. One of us, and by one of us I mean you or the senville folks that I will be harassing will figure this out and share the info.
I wonder how many people are having this problem.

Yes but doesn’t the outdoor unit circuit board have error codes flashing? It should tell you what’s wrong or point you in the right direction.
Not that I'm aware of. No mention in the manual about that, but I'm calling senville today and that is one of my questions. No fault code mechanism?

Not that I'm aware of. No mention in the manual about that, but I'm calling senville today and that is one of my questions. No fault code mechanism?
If they don’t and you have to plug in a diagnostic tool that would be a dealbreaker for me.

how are they with the warranty for mini splits, any idea? I have a little experience with pioneer and they replaced the speakers.. not very related to their mini split department at all though lol.
I am and I think many of us are at the technical level where if I even bother to contact them, they're most likely going to have to replace it or at least send a part.

Back