diy solar

diy solar

what MPPT charger?

bombattah

Hi guys,

I got 3 x 295W panels ( 38.9Voc ) & 1 x 150AH 24V lithium ( edit, 3.7v 18650 powerwall ) ion battery i want to charge.

What budget MPPT charger would you guys recommend? Connect the panels in series/parallel?

Best regards,

Last edited:
You've got yourself in a bit of a spot there with 3 panels. 3 means you have to put them all in series and that pushes you up over 100V. You can get 150V chargers, check the epever range. The last two digits of their range gives you the array voltage what from I can see but check the specs before buying. You would need at a 40 amp controller (900 / 24 = ~37 ) IMO. You could use a 30A controller if it has the voltage rating but you will clip production at the peak of the day, which may not be desirable for your application.

4215N - 150V.
4210N - 100V.

There are other brands that can cover you. Renogy would likely have a 150V range device too.

150V model, good.
30A model, if you are OK with possible limiting of power during the peak of the day, good

Are you using lifepo4 or another chemistry lion battery?

150V model, good.
30A model, if you are OK with possible limiting of power during the peak of the day, good

Are you using lifepo4 or another chemistry lion battery?

I put together a small powerwall using 18650 batteries.

30A should probably be fine, the panels dont have optimum tilt. Thanks!

18650 can be lifepo4 or others :) Just making sure that what ever cells you are using fall within the abilities of the charger to charge at your battery voltage, as per @MisterSandals post.

You've got yourself in a bit of a spot there with 3 panels. 3 means you have to put them all in series and that pushes you up over 100V. You can get 150V chargers, check the epever range. The last two digits of their range gives you the array voltage what from I can see but check the specs before buying. You would need at a 40 amp controller (900 / 24 = ~37 ) IMO. You could use a 30A controller if it has the voltage rating but you will clip production at the peak of the day, which may not be desirable for your application.

4215N - 150V.
4210N - 100V.

There are other brands that can cover you. Renogy would likely have a 150V range device too.
how good is epever scc? I bought the 40amp one and It only have two buttons bought the r485 cable couldn't get it to install on Windows 10 64bit so I bought one with more buttons and with bigger display plus a fan

how good is epever scc? I bought the 40amp one and It only have two buttons bought the r485 cable couldn't get it to install on Windows 10 64bit so I bought one with more buttons and with bigger display plus a fan
EPevers are pretty bullet proof unless you abuse their power ratings.
Trying to install on Windows 10 is a PITA, very difficult and using the MT50 meter makes setting parameters easy.

Ultimately he needs to pay attention to what people are telling him. Simply changing out one working charger for another working charger is not going to solve his problem. A course of action has been spelt out in black & white in other threads. It's all up to him now.

Back