diy solar

diy solar

What sealant to use on bolts penetrating asphalt shingle?

Psommerfeld

I am unmounting and re-mounting a solar roof install on 8/12 pitch asphalt shingle roof. Need to do this due to fully degraded shingles.
I am amazed at the sealant the installer had used. After 8 years, it stretches at least 2.5x. This sealant covered a 9/16" lag bolt head going through aluminum foot of L bracket. After 8 years, I could find no degradation of this sealant. I'm amazed. It is not dark like in the pic, it is a cloudy translucent. Even now it's hard to rip off the bolt head for disassembly, and when it comes off, it comes off as one complete blob.
In general, what sealant should be used for this application?

Attachments

• IMG_20220816_090945.jpg
    IMG_20220816_090945.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 25
Btw, this is in southern Ontario, Canada. Temperature minimum could be/has been -30°C. Ambient max temp 40°C, no idea how that translates to roof surface temp but you cannot touch unshaded shingle in summer sun for more than a moment.

Vulkem and OSI Quad have been long time favorites, that's probably what a contractor would have used. I think both are polyurethane. Downsides are they're hard to tool and need solvent cleanup. I think the newer hybrid polymers are better but haven't been around as long. I like white lightning optima but DAP and other manufacturers have their own versions.

Not sealant. Flashing.

Some kind of sealant is fine, probably a good thing. But I would want rain to spill from shingle to flashing to shingle, never relying on sealant to keep it out of the structure.

Even if the sealant doesn't degrade in 40 years, its adhesion to the shingles might.

I talked to the previous installer, he had used Tremco 830. Not sure if that same line is in the US. It is a thermoplastic elastomeric sealant.

Not sealant. Flashing.

Some kind of sealant is fine, probably a good thing. But I would want rain to spill from shingle to flashing to shingle, never relying on sealant to keep it out of the structure.
Thanks. I will look into flashing options.

Thanks. I will look into flashing options.

everyone keeps recommending Ironridge

considering their the only flashing option I've seen that is UL listed, that recommendation makes sense.

Back