diy solar

diy solar

What Would You Choose For Now? Fuse, Breaker For Portable (Capable) 12V 200Ah LFP

KITROBASKIN

Solar Enthusiast
Input from you is appreciated. For now, until I decide whether to stick with the 24V Phoenix 1200VA or go back to the old Xantrex 12V 600W, I would like to have an understanding how much, and what quality protection do these breakers and fuses claim to offer for protection right off positive from battery bank. Next time I place an order, figure I will get a T type fuse, but what level Amp protection?

First off, and least likely to be used, ~25 year old unused 20A Square D QO household type breakers.

Currently employing a previously used:

Wondering how much power would be protected (when would it blow?):

Renogy 30A Set w Holder ANL Fuse​

Questioning the quality of protection from a breaker for this application (how many Amps before this trips?)

Blue Sea Systems 187 Series & 285 Series {100Amp} Surface Mount & Panel Mount Circuit Breakers​

We have 2 year old, 12 units, AGM Golf cart sized batteries for our 24V home system that we want to cycle shallow, AND I want to have the resources on site to utilize if we get another off grid home system stoppage. Last summer we lost our 15 year old Outback inverter likely to a nearby lightning strike. This backup system would also be taken with us if we have some time before having to flee a forest fire, and possibly extended road travel.

Our 24/7, basically always on load is a Viasat Satellite device that gives us internet access. Looks like it takes less than 50 watts. By running it on this smaller system, the home batteries typically discharge about 10%, and the SOK LFP batteries should be ok with deeper discharges. They are fed by 2 Renogy 175W panels that cause the lithium batteries to dip quite a bit when we do get clouds. We are at 7200 feet elevation in the often sunny, north central mountains of New Mexico.

Gratitude for DIYsolar and her members!

Last edited:
Back