diy solar

diy solar

What's the consensus on buying used batteries?

loverofpeace

Hey guys based in the EU. Have an offer to buy a 72V 50Ah system for around $700 including a BMS. Supposedly has only 100 cycles where it was used as an "electromotor" (not sure on what). Has GEB cylindrical cells (never heard of them but probably from aliexpress). I plan on making it into a 12V 300Ah battery for a van based solar system.

A solid 100Ah battery is about that much new here, and I'm honestly too impatient at the moment to wait for CALB cells or something similar to ship from Aliexpress. Nothing else that's available used here.

I was wondering what the general consensus on something like this is? Is there any quick way to measure or at least estimate the capacity on site?

Thanks in advance for any help!

As long as you can reasonably trust the 100 cycles and assume less than 100 percent discharge at less than maximum rate, they sound great. You can charge them full and discharge them into a meter device or other load amd measure it. At least 900 more cycles!

3 times the cost for a new one, but you would have way more confidence. Calbs are desirable for a reason.

As long as you can reasonably trust the 100 cycles and assume less than 100 percent discharge at less than maximum rate, they sound great. You can charge them full and discharge them into a meter device or other load amd measure it. At least 900 more cycles!

3 times the cost for a new one, but you would have way more confidence. Calbs are desirable for a reason.

Thanks for the reply. I think he's telling the truth as far as the cycles go. How long would the process of measuring it actually take - I wouldn't wanna wait around at his place for 5 hours+ just to test it? My other thought was to part out like 100-150ah of it and sell it off as I don't think I'll actually need a 300ah battery while I mess around with realigning it to 12V.

FYI:
using New rade-A 280AH cells: for 12/280AH (4 cells)
4 PiecesUS$339.16 + Ship to United States by Express …US$252.40 Total US $591.56
4 Pieces £277.75 + Ship to United Kingdom by Expres… £237.49 Total £515.23

Impatience can be costly and have consequences as well.

Thanks and you’re right but those only have a single positive review. Do you have experience with this seller/these cells yourself?

Thanks and you’re right but those only have a single positive review. Do you have experience with this seller/these cells yourself?
Hahaha,,, YES. See the Xuba Elect link in my signature. Something on the order of 5,000 of these cells have been shipped to our membership so far from Amy Wan @ Xuba and I have 16 of them.

Hahaha,,, YES. See the Xuba Elect link in my signature. Something on the order of 5,000 of these cells have been shipped to our membership so far from Amy Wan @ Xuba and I have 16 of them.

Oh wow! Do you have to pay import duties/customs on the orders? How long does it take to receive them? I read some people were getting them in 3 weeks which seems super fast for alibaba

Heads up on battery pricing from china. The shipping prices are going through the roof.

As china is opening up, the demand for shipments are also going up. Meanwhile flights to/from china are few. Since the air shippers count on the airlines for much of the cargo, it has gotten very expensive to ship by air. Small purchases like people on the forum tend to do are smaller than what the sea-freight companies will typically take.

The Aliexpress companies have more options set up for small packages, so they may be a bit better off than Alibaba companies, but prices are going up on both.

It is going to be a while before things come back to normal.

Last edited:
Heads up on battery pricing from china. The shipping prices are going through the roof.

As china is opening up, the demand for shipments are also going up. Meanwhile flights to/from china are few. Since the air shippers count on the airlines for much of the cargo, it has gotten very expensive to ship by air. Small purchases like people on the forum tend to do are smaller than packages than what the sea-freight companies will typically take.

The Aliexpress companies have more options set up for small packages, so they may be a bit better off than Alibaba companies, but prices are going up on both.

It is going to be a while before things come back to normal.

Thanks for that info! I contacted Xuba today and she said exactly that. 4 cells is not enough to go by sea/train and that via air I would be responsible for the duties/taxes which would bring the total close to $950 ish.

I found a company in my country selling 4 EVE 280ah cells (not sure of the grade or how to tell) but they are new for $840 or 105ah ones for $400 both come with a 2 year warranty. Do you guys think that's a solid deal?

Back